Introduction & joining my first club

Guvnor2013

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you're available during the weekday mornings, a lot of clubs have a 'roll-up' where you just turn up at a set time and join in with the regulars. There'll be some kind of draw for groupings - we play for a £1 so hopefully not too draining on the resources. This is how I got started and still do this most weeks. Good advice about entering everything going too.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm working a lot in Doncaster this year and stay over at various hotels!

Which courses will be good for pay and play when the nights get lighter?

i could always host you at Gainsborough which is a 30minute drive from Doncaster. Happy to do so.
Styrrup where Callum is joining is a quirky course. Quite a few different holes and it's a tough track.
DoncasterGC and Wheatley are the premium courses and are both excellent quality but they are pretty unspectacular to play in honest.
Town moor is cheap and m extremely boring in my opinion.
Owston hall is also worth a shot. Quite long but got some fun holes. There's a lot of good courses on the outskirts of Doncaster. It really depends exactly where you are staying :)

calluma11

Club Champion
Visit site
Wow thanks everybody. I"m a member on a few forums but I'm geniunely overwhelmed at how welcomed i feel! I appreciate that. It also seems it's a pretty active forum, which is good

By the sounds of things, members expect to play with new/different people so that's pretty good. Because of the light i've only really got time on the weekends but i'll be up a few nights a week on the weekdays in the summer!
Taken the mobile number of the young shop assistant who needs extra rounds to do his qualifications. If he cant play saturday morning then i'll ask him to put my name down where there's space.

That's one thing i'm confused at. I'll need 3 rounds to get a handicap and then i can play the competitions. Comps are on sat and sundays, so if i just want to play for fun (especially my first 3 rounds at least) then how does this work when the comps are on?

Having a meeting with the Captain and Committee Friday so i'll ask then, but just wondering for the mean time.

All in all very happy with my experiences here and Hickleton so far, very excited to crack on with things and improve my game!

Thanks all,
Callum

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i could always host you at Gainsborough which is a 30minute drive from Doncaster. Happy to do so.
Styrrup where Callum is joining is a quirky course. Quite a few different holes and it's a tough track.
DoncasterGC and Wheatley are the premium courses and are both excellent quality but they are pretty unspectacular to play in honest.
Town moor is cheap and m extremely boring in my opinion.
Owston hall is also worth a shot. Quite long but got some fun holes. There's a lot of good courses on the outskirts of Doncaster. It really depends exactly where you are staying :)

Thanks for the info...

Ive stayed at Owston hall quite a bit.. Tomorrow night as well.. Will need to wait for the clocks to go forward before i can get any serious golf in while working away.. Ive used the Driving range near Kirk Sandall a few times as I am working near there and usual stay in the Olive Grove Lodge or Owston Hall..

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the info...

Ive stayed at Owston hall quite a bit.. Tomorrow night as well.. Will need to wait for the clocks to go forward before i can get any serious golf in while working away.. Ive used the Driving range near Kirk Sandall a few times as I am working near there and usual stay in the Olive Grove Lodge or Owston Hall..

Ye Im a member at that driving range. Literally live about 3 minutes away from it. Its pretty expensive if you dont have a membership but it does the job.
The closest course to Barnby Dun is Wheatley in one direction and another two, Thorne and Kingswood in the other. These 2 are literally 2 minutes apart. Both are pretty poor but have quite a few quirky features and Thorne is dirt cheap and has a fun closing hole.

Owston Hall gives you some better options. You have the course there which I like and another one a minute away called Thornhurst which is a tough track. The second is like something from Augusta.
You can also drive to Hickleton which is a fantastic course in my opinion. Some great great holes and my favourite out of all I have mentioned. Great scenery too. Mid Yorkshire is also an option just 10 minutes up the A1. Once again much better than all the other courses and its reasonably priced too.

calluma11

Club Champion
Visit site
Off to meet the captain and committee tomorrow at 3pm.

Just managed to book a golf lesson in with a local guy tomorrow (not a bad secret santa present eh) ahead of my first outing on Saturday morning.
Hoping (and quietly confident) of breaking 100. Went out on 27th Dec and shot 103. Very wet conditions and very long rough. Have improved certain aspects of my game since then and hopefully the lesson will help with one of two things. Will let you know how I get on!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do chap, try not to think about what your score is regardless of whether it is going well or otherwise. Every hole is a fresh start. Just do your best each time you tee it up. It's 18 games, no reason to add em up til the end. Have fun.

Raesy92

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wow thanks everybody. I"m a member on a few forums but I'm geniunely overwhelmed at how welcomed i feel! I appreciate that. It also seems it's a pretty active forum, which is good

By the sounds of things, members expect to play with new/different people so that's pretty good. Because of the light i've only really got time on the weekends but i'll be up a few nights a week on the weekdays in the summer!
Taken the mobile number of the young shop assistant who needs extra rounds to do his qualifications. If he cant play saturday morning then i'll ask him to put my name down where there's space.

That's one thing i'm confused at. I'll need 3 rounds to get a handicap and then i can play the competitions. Comps are on sat and sundays, so if i just want to play for fun (especially my first 3 rounds at least) then how does this work when the comps are on?

Having a meeting with the Captain and Committee Friday so i'll ask then, but just wondering for the mean time.

All in all very happy with my experiences here and Hickleton so far, very excited to crack on with things and improve my game!

Thanks all,
Callum

Our club lets new members play with older members in competitions. Although they can't obviously play in the competition itself, they can play for handicap purposes.

Good way to meet new folk and get your cards handed in at the same time.

calluma11

Club Champion
Visit site
Up at Hickleton

Went for the interview yesterday and, to be honest, it was completely blanketed.

Big shame as i was well up for it, but it is what it is i suppose

Callum