Introduction & joining my first club

calluma11

Club Champion
Visit site
Morning all!

Dont think there's a thread for introducing myself so i'll do it here. Been a 'lurker' for a while here.

My name's Callum from Doncaster. Aged 22. Played golf all my life but, until last summer, it had only - unfortunately - been 3 rounds a year. Decided i wanted to take things seriously so started going weekly at a local pay as you play 9 holer. A beginner friendly course (wouldnt call myself a beginner but my friends were complete beginners and it was £6.90 a round)

Completely obsessed with all things golf. Always on here reading posts and on youtube looking at tips and particularly enjoy course vlogs. Continually going to a local wasteland and practicing various wedgeplay etc

Was thinking of joining a society as I wasnt sure I could afford a full membership. Turns out a local course i've played a handful of times has a good deal for 22-25 year olds. So long story short, in the space of a couple of days my dad had sorted me out with a decent deal at this course (his company has corporate membership with an annual golf day)
My application form has been accepted, I'm off to have a look around and, if i like it, sign up tomorrow morning. Meeting with the Captain and board Friday afternoon with a few other new mambers.

Very much looking forward to improving my game and enjoying a 'proper' course. Would like to take part in competitions when I get a handicap (probably 27/28). I like the idea of nipping for just a few holes after work, or even the practice facilities without needing to 'get my moneys worth' like i do currently at the pay as you play.

A bit nervous that i dont know anyone there, but i'm going to force myself to be confident and introduce myself and be social and i'm sure i'll have someone to play with soon enough.

One thing i'm unsure on, the website says there's lots of members, juniors, women, mens and rabbits. What are rabbit members?

Hope to become more a active member on here
Callum

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Its a play on words, Rabbit members are typically bald (no hare) but its kinder to call them rabbits than baldy gits

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy the new club/course

:D

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im guessing rabbits mean different things in different clubs, wherever I seen Rabbits sections theyve been higher handicappers, either 16+ or 18+

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Ah i see,
Thanks both!

Ok so I was kidding, quite a few clubs do seem to use the term to describe a player over a certain handicap ability but don't apply the same naming convention to other level of golfers (make of that what you will)

Anyone know the origin of the term 'rabbit' in relation to a golfers playing ability?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rabbits are generally 18+, i.e. get more than one shot on certain holes. The converse is Tigers.

It's a nonsense, don't mind it. Most folk on here and most folk in general couldn't give a monkeys what your handicap is as long as you're good company and observe good etiquette. I play regularly with a guy off 3 and a guy off 24 and we have a blast.

Welcome to the forum, you'll no doubt learn a lot here. Some of it you'll regret but most of it is good stuff. For instance, if your bag doesn't blind passers by in the correct sunlight then many will suggest you buy some shiney new things to put in it. Other will say get a good pro and lessons. But most people here are just golf* mad, so get stuck in.

*You may choose to drop this from that sentence

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
519Jh-lf7vL._SX300_.jpg

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Heyup me man Callum, welcome to golfing insanity. You have not mentioned which club you are looking around. There may well be members onboard here.

Dont be afraid to ask any questions on here, no doubt a big fan of the zigger zaggers.

calluma11

Club Champion
Visit site
Heyup me man Callum, welcome to golfing insanity. You have not mentioned which club you are looking around. There may well be members onboard here.

Dont be afraid to ask any questions on here, no doubt a big fan of the zigger zaggers.

Eyup!
Love watching football, dont particularly support anybody but i of course have a soft spot for them

Oh no another one from 'Donny'
what club are you looking at joining?

Apologies, it's Hickleton Golf Club which is only about 15 minutes from me and the same from work. Perfect!

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Hope you enjoy your new club Callum.

I've just come the end of my first year of membership and it's been very enjoyable. There have been plenty of times when I didn't understand everything that was going on but I just ask questions and the mists soon part! Try to play as many of the events as possible, there's no better way to integrate. As Curls said earlier, no one will care how good you are at golf, it's more important to have the right attitude towards etiquette and sportsmanship.

Enjoy!

Shep

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Hi Callum
welcome to the forum.
When I first joined Crowborough Beacon many years ago, there was a weekly competition that I was urged to enter called the Wednesday Rabbits.
Brilliant introduction to the club and got to meet many members by playing regularly in it.
Despite being known as the Rabbits, we had every handicap playing in it, from low single figures right up to the maximum 28.
Nice thing was, it was a rule that you couldn't pre-book a tee time, or put anyone else down to play in it, you had to put your name in the next available slot.
This ensured that you didn't get the same guys playing together week in, week out and it worked.