College

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
For most people her golf is a hobby, not a job.

So very few people will have personal experience of something like golf college first hand. I was speaking to a guy the other day who was +2 as a teenager and destined to go to the States to go to college there, before he suffered a repetitive injury, and had to give the game up. Now he can play the game, but not too often. Problem is, he doesn't get the joyout of playing the game at what is for him such a low level, so he rarely plays at all now.

So that's the first thing to think about - even with all the talent in the world, there's no guarantee of making a successful career in golf.

I'd say for you it's a chicken and egg situation. You're not good enough to go to golf college - YET. If you don't get good enough, it's a moot point.

But nowt wrong with having a plan A) and a plan B) on the go at the same time.

But it'd mean you'd have to work damn hard on your academic skills to do the best for yourself down the traditional job route. And do your best to improve at golf at the same time. You've got the summer coming up at the moment. You're talking about joing another club. Get youself into the toughest club you can find, talk to the pro and explain your target.

From what you've implied elsewhere you don't seem to be particularly long off the tee. That's the first thing to put right - you can work and improve on your short game over time, but if you can't belt it 300 yards down the fairway by the time you're 16-17 you're never likely to make it to the tour. And even assistant club pros are going to be able to get round a tough track in good, low figures.

As for greenkeeping as a career, it might be worth having a chat with someone like these guys :
Greenkeeping Jobs
43 Blackburn Road
Darwen , Lancashire
BB3 1EJ UK

To make it as a player, you'll need to be increadibly driven mentally to make it. The fact that you are not sure at this stage which career path to take is a pretty strong sign, maybe even subconciously, that you don't think you can get there. Be honest with yourself. Don't set yourself down a path that you know in your heart you can never succeed in, because that'll lead to heartbrake.

But also don't let yourself off by not trying your hardest, at anything you have talent for. Saying to yourself 'what if...' when you are 30 and settled down with a wife and kids and a 9-5 job is one of the saddest and most depressing things anyone can do to themselves.

Old git ramblings are now officially over - GL

:)

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
There is a 12 year old at our course who is off 7 and went to golf school but has since given it up as he didnt like it. A lot of Jr's suffer when they get to between 14-16 as they find out about girls and wanting to be like their mates not on the range every day.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have to say Mono from 17 to single figure by September is a pipe dream, especially as you'll be expected to stay at single figures.

I must say Homer, we have a 13 year old junior at our place who started playing golf last year at easter time, he now plays off 5 (five) so I wouldn't say 17 to single figures in 15 months is a pipe dream.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I have to say Mono from 17 to single figure by September is a pipe dream, especially as you'll be expected to stay at single figures.

I must say Homer, we have a 13 year old junior at our place who started playing golf last year at easter time, he now plays off 5 (five) so I wouldn't say 17 to single figures in 15 months is a pipe dream.

I agree, I went from 28 to 9 in a single season at the age of 16 so it's not a pipe dream.
Getting to a tour pro standard is another matter though. I've only came down another 4 shots in the last 10 years, although I'm on the way down again thanks to a lot of hard work at the range.

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
Mono

I've tried to leave this a little while and contemplate but the cynic in me thinks this is just daydream post that is never going to be a reality. As far as I can see your 16 or so now and to be honest if you are still off 17 at what you consider to be an unchallenging course and don't mix with the big boys in your age group in open events you are not going to be good enough. Bottom line.

If you want a job in golf the only realistic route I can see is getting a retail job in somewhere like American Golf.

I don't actually think you realistically intend going to golf college. An academic college I can understand and would support your decision as it is important in the current climate to be as equipped to come to marketplace as possible. Even if you were going to go to golf college I just have a feeling it is this weeks flavour of the month and in a few months you will have posted another career decision.

Sorry if it seems blunt but I'm only being honest as I see it.

Homer

What is so wrong with a kid having dreams and targets ? Why do feel the need to jump on this guy every time he posts something ? If you have had children or if you can think back all people aspire to something. Often it is achievable, often not. But as an older generation, we should encourage people to achieve and let them feel they are capable of anything at all.

I cant remember off the top of my head but I know there are pro golfers on the tour that did not pick up a club until they were in their teens.

Your consistent putting down of this lad is bullying. You should really consider the value you are adding to these posts and the effect you are having.

Yes, Mono, I believe you can get down to single figures by that time, I have seen Juniors do it at our club. They are playing everyday at least once over the summer with a couple of comps per week. In fact my lad is looking for an 12 shot reduction this year from 28 to 16. I feel he can do it and certainly wont be telling him it is unachievable.

Go for it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
For those with a natural aptitude, and a work ethic, massive handicap cuts are within reason.

If someone has been playing a few years, then there is a tendancy to plateau, and further cuts require massive amounts of hard work.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The trouble is, Mono has been playing for 3 years and has only got down to 18. I say 'only'...........thats still a good achievement BUT...........Mono, if you want to compete with the guys on the European tour, you will need to lose another 22 shots per round.
When Rory M turned pro, he was off +6, can you manage that?
There are however other jobs you can do in golf
Golf coach
Greensman
club fitter/repairer
work in golf shop
Tour referee
tour staff
club secretary
and more

wackygolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Mono

A young girl at my club went to a local golf college last year. Her handicap was 9 and there was only about a dozen juniors but the change in her is remarkable. Her golf has certainly improved , she is now off 6 and should be lower but most of all her attitude has really matured towards other people. Her technical knowledge is really impressive and although she does not wish to be a tour pro she would like to become a coach eventually. The college offers lots of insights into the world of golf.

Go for it! It will only be a couple of years out of your life and even if you do not make the grade to be a pro, it will give you a good grounding in golf.

Do not be put off by the negative comments.

MarkS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok, here is some advice from me - a College Lecturer.

I work at a College that offers many courses, including greenkeeping, sports turf management etc. We also have a 9 hole course on site.
IF you are genuine about going into golf as a career you ought to consider thsi as an opion
As you are 15 you will be able to come down to an information day this year to have a look around.
You will receive an education and be able to play golf every day.
It has residential facilities and depending where you live you would be offreed a room.

I am not giving you the name as i will leave you to do some researh.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
For those with a natural aptitude, and a work ethic, massive handicap cuts are within reason.

If someone has been playing a few years, then there is a tendancy to plateau, and further cuts require massive amounts of hard work.

There's a common thread here, isn't there.

Anything worth achieving is going to be damn hard work

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dont listen to anyone mono, if you think you can achieve then practise hard to achieve it. Thats what im doing. Practise makes perfect. You can do it.

age-14
h/c-10

MarkS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dont listen to anyone mono, if you think you can achieve then practise hard to achieve it. Thats what im doing. Practise makes perfect. You can do it.

age-14
h/c-10

In fairness he should listen to me, it would be a good option for teh lad. A qualification, an education and teh chance to play golf every day for free.
and its in Cheshire

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi Mono

A young girl at my club went to a local golf college last year. Her handicap was 9 and there was only about a dozen juniors but the change in her is remarkable. Her golf has certainly improved , she is now off 6 and should be lower but most of all her attitude has really matured towards other people. Her technical knowledge is really impressive and although she does not wish to be a tour pro she would like to become a coach eventually. The college offers lots of insights into the world of golf.

Go for it! It will only be a couple of years out of your life and even if you do not make the grade to be a pro, it will give you a good grounding in golf.

Do not be put off by the negative comments.

Wasn't Duchey College, was it Wacky?

Mono, good luck with whatever you decide to do, college wise. As some have said, I'm 34 (well, no one said that), but I went and did A levels and went to Uni and graduated. I work in London, have a decent job, live in Cornwall, which is beutiful, and boy do I wish I had tried something like waht you want to.

If you don't try it, you may just regret it in later life. At least you will know you tried.

Good luck.