Cobtree meet 30.08

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just a quick word regarding the Cobtree meet.

First of all a big thanks to MedwayJon for organising this. Well done mate, and prizes too (a bit unexpected). A great choice of date too, as we played on what was probably the best weather of the year so far.

As there were 5 of us, we split into a 2 (MWJ and HTL), and a 3 (Murphthemog, NomadPaul and Smudge). MWJ lead us off, but I think the pressure of being first on the tee may have had some bearing on the outcome, as it was a less than glorious start, but then going first is never easy, especially with 4 eager forumers watching. It didn’t help that the first was quite tight, and stroke index 4, so a tough hole to start on. I think this must have set the tone for the round though, as neither Jon nor Hywel played to their potential.

Our three had a closer fought battle, with Smudge winning one of the longest drives, and the nearest the pin (the only one to hit the green on a 179 yard downhiller), and me winning the other longest drive (not sure if Jon was longer, but he didn’t hit the fairway – missed by a yard when he didn’t get the expected fade).

The course was an interesting layout, using the available landscape to craft out some imaginative holes. The greens were a bit interesting though, as they were slow, and have recently been hollow tined and top dressed. This took a bit of getting used to, and lead to many putts stopping on the edge of the hole (smudge, you need to hit it harder mate).

Over all, a good afternoons golf (all afternoon too, as it was close to a five hour round, which meant there wasn’t really time for a post round drink), and very enjoyable. NomadPaul shot a respectable 32 points off a h/cap of 28, to come second, and I ran out the winner with 35 off 12.

I will try and put a couple of photos on later, if I can sort it out.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
did you give your new bats their debut outing murph?

I'm glad the day went well though- it's always nicer when the suns shining.

Smudge

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ah yes a good day indeed, i must remember to use a ball that is not scared of going in the hole!!!!! or maybe just hit them a little harder. Thanks to jon for arranging the game and sorting some nice prizes out. Looking forward to the next one!!!

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for doing a write up murththemog, I had a great day and really looking forward to our next outing, hopefully some other members will make it and hopefully I will bring my game along with me minus the wild slice.

I went to the range yesterday and worked on flattening my swing, seems to be doing the job, will be booking a course of lessons soon.

Thanks again to Jon for being a great host.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
DSC02274.jpg

Nomadpaul on the first tee

DSC02275.jpg

MedwayJon and htl

DSC02276.jpg

Jon's follow through (ball in line with pin but just short)

DSC02277.jpg

htl's equally poised follow through (ball went right).

DSC02279.jpg

The hole in play from above. Nearest the pin, smudge.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only had the one camera John.

Murth, you got any with your shoes in? They a a bit special!!! I know how much we all like good golf shoes on here.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dang.

I just spotted you're wearing shades, htl. What are you thinking about, man? It's mid-winter. :D

Mid winter? It were 27 on Saturday! Cant follow my massive slice if I dont have them on.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't want to break the camera by photographing the shoes. I have the same pair in yellow and white too, but I thought I would spare you that. Maybe next time.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for a very enjoyable day lads...thoroughly enjoyed it and many thanks to MWJ for his organisation.
Nice course....better than Rainham town centre anyway :) but those fairways were narrow !!!
Must mention my 'jesus' shot on the 12th . That ball walks on water !!!
Hope we can get another one organised at some stage.

Paul

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
DSC02277.jpg

htl's equally poised follow through (ball went right).

Anyone spot a resemblance to one of the piccys from the Glen??

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The Jesus shot referred to above was just unbelievable. Par 3, over water, it was the old Barnes Wallace trick of bouncing off the water, through the lillies, up the bank, through the bunker, over the top, and onto the edge of the green. Two putts, par, what could be simpler.

Awesome to watch. How can you begin to coach such skill.