Clubhouse or go home?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not a fan of bar levys. Like any other establishment, a clubhouse needs to get its atmosphere, staff, drink selection, menu etc right so as members want to eat and drink there not force them to spend money. Like it at my new club so go in before and after every round, hated it at my old club but my playing partners all lived near each other so we went to our local pub after a round and had food and drink with our families.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a £50 levy at our place. I can't say how much extra traffic it brings in but you do get 10% off drinks with it.

We get a discount on our card too. I'm just concerned members will see it for what it is and a £100 increase (maybe less depending on whether they go through with the idea at all) and I feel that those that are the archetypal car park golfer (for want of a better phrase) still won't use the clubhouse, certainly not until the last knockings of the year and the deadline, and that they will simply have one blow out, buy a few meals or bottles of wine and that it won't generate any more regular takings over the course of a year. On the plus side, those that don't spend it and lose it means extra cash in the club kitty

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I have time then I'll always go in and have a drink. It's what's its there for any needs to be used.

What irks tho, is other people in there. I can't stand people :)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always into the clubhouse after a game.
We also have a bar levy which I don't have a problem with.
Our bar stays open until the last car has left the car park(common sense prevailing)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Not going in the clubhouse is a rare exception. Always in for a drink and chat, often have lunch too...unless need to be away for something.

Our Winter League has gone to Shotgun Start too, so every Sunday for breakfast and then at 1 o'clock place is full....great atmosphere too.

Our steward does great food at reasonable prices too, so folk use it.

D

Deleted member 23344

Usually a cup of coffee before the game and a couple of shandies (in summer) or teas (in winter) afterwards. Pleased to say that my club has a vibrant clubhouse, although this is helped by the fact that there is also a spa, pool and gym there.