Clubhouse or go home?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Great point, thanks for mentioning this. We are currently looking at next years fixture lists for the club and trying to improve the atmosphere after a round, getting more people playing in comps is a key feature. Shotgun starts get the clubhouse buzzing, improve sociability. I'll mention this to see if we can incorporate one or two more comps doing this. Great comment :thup:

Agree, almost all our comps are a shotgun start with only the odd occasion of a two tee start. The clubhouse atmosphere is hugely different to social game days, with banter and booze flowing
(the only downside to a shotgun start is the 60-70 blokes sharing 2-3 showers at the same time!)

I use the clubhouse pretty much all the time after I play for both comp or social games

graham64

Medal Winner
Visit site
Midweek and Sundays in after for a couple of pints. Shotgun comp days dropped there and picked up by the wife after a good few and a bite to eat best way to meet people

D

Deleted member 15344

Shotgun starts are useless for people who dont or can't play at the specific time , you also don't maximise the amount of people who can play the Comp - the are ok on the odd occasion but not realistic for the majority of club comps

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Shotgun starts are useless for people who dont or can't play at the specific time , you also don't maximise the amount of people who can play the Comp - the are ok on the odd occasion but not realistic for the majority of club comps

Didn't think of that, yeah if there are more than about 150 players then shotgun format is difficult to do, but under that number then it would be my choice

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never play in our clubs shotguns simply because they are always started very early in the morning.

They work very well in some circumstances

E.G. We have one on the day of our annual trophy presentations which means an awful lot more players attend the presentation than we used to have it in the evening.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Shotgun starts get the clubhouse buzzing, improve sociability.

the only downside to a shotgun start is the 60-70 blokes sharing 2-3 showers at the same time!

Very sociable! One way to get members to get to know each other 'better'

I don't mind the occasional shotgun, depending on the course...

At the last one (society away day) I pulled the short straw, with a near 1.5 mile walk to my first tee, which also happened to be on top of a hill, with a similar walk back to the clubhouse afterwards

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Our club does shotgun starts for comps sometimes that have a dinner/reception thing afterwards. They start them about 1 pm, so that everybody finishes in time to shower, get changed etc. in time for dinner without having to wait round for too long. I hate it, though. Because a) the pace of play seems to be even slower than usual in a comp round ... it feels like standing around in an (admittedly very large) circle for 5 1/2 hours. Then b) (mission accomlished) everyone gets off the course at about the same time, which also means that everyone will be heading for the locker rooms and showers at the same time. Our locker rooms and shower facilities are huge ... on any normal comp day you wonder, why on earth they built so many showers for the few people that normally use them ... then come shotgun start comp you suddenly know why ... and they still aren't big einough. Same for the bar ... 72 people demanding drinks all at once ... chaos ensues.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The clubhouse at a course I play at just seems permanently empty nowdays even thou the club has a full membership,the catering guy there was telling me less and less golfers are now going in the clubhouse after a round for a bevy or food,theres even members with 30 plus years at the club who never go in the clubhouse,clubs out of the car..play...clubs back in the car..home....clubhouse or go home?

Clubhouse. We are a strong members club and unless I have an imperative need to head home I feel it is part of my responsibilities as a member to go into the clubhouse after a round. To chat with pro and assistants; meet other members (not just those I have played with); introduce guests to the clubhouse and members (encourage them to join :) ); put money over the bar for food and drink; know what's going on - discuss club and course matters with other members etc.

For me all the above is part of being a member of a golf club - a club that I am proud to be a member of - for me my club is very much more than just somewhere I can play golf with a few mates.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Agreed - we have 2 or 3 a year. The novelty is good - and we make a bit of an occasion of them.

D

Deleted member 15344

Didn't think of that, yeah if there are more than about 150 players then shotgun format is difficult to do, but under that number then it would be my choice
150 ? Max is about 80 if in fourballs but then rounds take over 5 hours

You can double up a few tees to get100 anymore it's pushing it

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Very sociable! One way to get members to get to know each other 'better'

I don't mind the occasional shotgun, depending on the course...

At the last one (society away day) I pulled the short straw, with a near 1.5 mile walk to my first tee, which also happened to be on top of a hill, with a similar walk back to the clubhouse afterwards

See i forgot about that bit too (its funny how the mind blocks out the 'long walk' gawd I nearly passed out when I had that day!)

But with buggies its wacky races time as 30-40 race off in different directions all thinking 'we know a short cut' :D

Tomorrow is a shotgun start with brand new carts too, should be fun

D

Deleted member 23270

I spend as much time in the clubhouse as I do on the course.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
See i forgot about that bit too (its funny how the mind blocks out the 'long walk' gawd I nearly passed out when I had that day!)

The frustration on that day was had we known the course, and known far enough in advance which tee we were off, we could have actually parked at the fishing lodge carpark at that end of the course

But no, instead we had a very sweaty slog through a wet heavy course, against the clock (shotgun) 😢😢😂

But with buggies its wacky races time as 30-40 race off in different directions all thinking 'we know a short cut' :D

Tomorrow is a shotgun start with brand new carts too, should be fun

👆👆👆 Now THAT sounds like FUN 👍👍👍

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Always used to be a few pints after, but since I left my job too look after my little lad £3.50 for a beer is over priced so never drink anything other than a £1.20 coffee.

Away days always ripped off as none member so don't bother just go home.

Coffee man