Club V1

Swango1980

Visit site
You may be unaware of this but again I assure you that this is a common occurrence and if the committee is doing its job, they will investigate and act accordingly, often seeking advice from the County beforehand.
The Committee in a typical club of around 500+ members cannot be expected to know the behaviour of all members, someone needs to tell them.
It is a perfect system, how could it fail? Have mates dob on other mates, get club to investigate and maybe get County involved, have your mates handicap suspended, and all have a good laugh after....

And to point out, in the example I highlighted, during the rounds I played, I had zero idea he was manipulating his handicap upwards, and only really came to light as I knew personally how he felt about playing in lower handicap groups, and the chat came up a few weeks later.

Assuming I have not played with the only golfer in the world who has used a way to manipulate the system, there could be thousands more. I have probably played with dozens more, as I'm aware of many golfers who have had big jumps in handicaps. I'm aware of other guys who seem to stay low, but rarely seem to score well in comps. I can only assume they all play in good faith, I'm sure most do. But it is often impossible to tell who isn't acting in good faith.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
We make an exception for GP scores entered via the MyEG app. as the attestation is strong.
Really? My experience is that the system has no checks regarding the attester, (there is no geo location process similar to that required of the player), the attester could do so even though they haven’t witnessed the round.

Swango1980

Visit site
Really? My experience is that the system has no checks regarding the attester, (there is no geo location process similar to that required of the player), the attester could do so even though they haven’t witnessed the round.
I guess it is still stronger than Club V1 though. The arrester still has to do something to attest the score. Even if they cheated and were sitting at home, they could do that with a physical card as well. Player could even forge their signature.

With Club V1 though, someone can be put as attested, and the attester never even know about it

Swango1980

Visit site
Just thinking about it, I'm pretty sure a mate put his score in on the club terminal a few weeks ago. Said he put me down as marker, but I never got any notification to say so. I don't think Club V1 / howdidido has ever sent me a notification

wjemather

Visit site
HDID's digital scorecard functionality requires "Enhanced Markers Scoring" to be enabled in ClubV1.
PSIs are not digital scorecards.

wjemather

Visit site
All I know is they stick it on terminal, then it is on their handicap record. As far as I'm aware, their marker may never have verified the score
Certified scorecards are required by the Rules of Golf; the competition/handicap committee should be checking them.

D-S

Visit site
Well, they won't. But at least everyone has another example of Committees struggling to manage WHS with perfection
That’s truly a shame because this is really basic stuff. We have a few poor or struggling committees but this sort of lack of procedure/understanding is simple stuff that they would certainly be at least trying to get right.

wjemather

Visit site
Well, they won't. But at least everyone has another example of Committees struggling to manage WHS with perfection
Failing to perform age-old, fundamental tasks like checking scorecards has absolutely nothing to do with WHS.
If the committee/club are struggling or unable to sort it out themselves, or simply have no clue what they should be doing, county should be involved to afford assistance.

Swango1980

Visit site
Well, don't you worry about it. I'm sure there are all sorts of imperfect practices going on, despite the perfection you guys achieve

From the point of view of the hundreds of members, I'm sure it can be confusing to expect them to either use MyEG and submit no physical card, or use the terminal and suddenly be expected to put in the physical card. Perhaps Committee don't want to be collecting hundreds of cards a month, or maybe they thought and electronic submission is fine. No idea. But it is what it is, and it's pathetic to think anyone needs to get the County involved when, as far as I'm aware, nobody at the club is complaining

wjemather

Visit site
From the point of view of the hundreds of members, I'm sure it can be confusing to expect them to either use MyEG and submit no physical card, or use the terminal and suddenly be expected to put in the physical card. Perhaps Committee don't want to be collecting hundreds of cards a month, or maybe they thought and electronic submission is fine. No idea. But it is what it is, and it's pathetic to think anyone needs to get the County involved when, as far as I'm aware, nobody at the club is complaining
You're right, county shouldn't need to be involved, because this is just so basic that no diligent and half-competent club/committee could possibly get it so badly wrong.

What isn't needed is people thinking it's ok (because no-one is complaining) and making lame excuses for what is going on. It needs fixing, because sooner or later, your county will hear about it and when they do, you could find yourself at a club that has been suspended from administering handicaps.

Reactions: D-S