Club V1

LizAig

Visit site
Our club uses Club V1 system and some months back clubs were asked to turn on the Enhanced Marker setting so that instead of having a choice to choose a marker you now have to specify the marker (who must also be using the app) and they will then validate your score at the end of the game. At the time Club V1 said the change was requested by England Golf to ensure we were playing within the Rules. I’ve asked about the setting a couple of times but our club comp sec has said that he spoke to Club V1 and they said it was a voluntary setting so he isn’t turning it on. This is nothing new - Our Comps Sec is often a law unto himself!

Anyone whose club uses Club V1 do you know anything about the Enhanced Marker setting and its use.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
our club comp sec has said that he spoke to Club V1 and they said it was a voluntary setting so he isn’t turning it on. This is nothing new - Our Comps Sec is often a law unto himself!

Anyone whose club uses Club V1 do you know anything about the Enhanced Marker setting and its use.
If it is found to be useful cannot the comp committee overrule com sec.

I don't use the app but what is the rule that EG suggested may be the problem?

LizAig

Visit site
If it is found to be useful cannot the comp committee overrule com sec.
I wish - he is men’s comp and handicap sec (I’m ladies) and he does his own thing and men rarely challenge him because no one else wants the job!

I don't use the app but what is the rule that EG suggested may be the problem?
The setting means the app can be used instead of a card - the app didn’t used to insist on a marker but with the setting turned on it works like the EG app with general rounds - that the marker has to go into the app and verify.

D-S

Visit site
It would be odd if the Handicap Committee is happy to have scores entered onto their members’ records that are unverified by a marker, especially if that functionality for score entry exists.
Isn’t this the point of having a Handicap Committee? It should comprise of at least three members and preferably is an odd number i.e. that they could outvote any single person with an ’odd’ view.
Having a committee in place is a condition of affiliation in most regions so situations like this do not arise.

LizAig

Visit site
It would be odd if the Handicap Committee is happy to have scores entered onto their members’ records that are unverified by a marker, especially if that functionality for score entry exists.
He says he’s only going to accept written cards this year….he’s not very technological so I think he’s happy for the club to stay in the dark ages!

Isn’t this the point of having a Handicap Committee? It should comprise of at least three members and preferably is an odd number i.e. that they could outvote any single person with an ’odd’ view.
The ladies have a good committee and after years of nagging the men finally have put a proper committee in place but they haven’t managed to rein him in yet! Both Committees are going to meet regularly so hopefully we can get somewhere so I was just trying to find out what people knew about Club v1. I’ve emailed them but no answer!!

Having a committee in place is a condition of affiliation in most regions so situations like this do not arise.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We trialled the enhancement and couldn't get it to work satisfactorily.

I doesn't work like the MyEG app for attestation. The basic methodology is that you and your marker both enter 2 sets of scores (36 entries). These can be for other people in your group (IE your marker doesn't have to have you enter their scores). If the scores agree - happy days! If they don't then you get into some interesting territory. If the player enters their score and the markers score subsequently disagrees a warning message is displayed. However, the score has already gone through V1 into the WHS system so has to be edited by the H/C committee or competition organiser - the player cannot go back and do it.

If the marker enters the score first and the player's score subsequently disagrees the player is given an opportunity to amend their score (but not forced to as it may be correct) but again the player can override this and the score is registered.

There doesn't appear to be any reports that highlight mismatches (haven't looked for a while) so the emphasis is on the player (as always) to raise any problems with the entered score.

We didn't feel the overhead of members entering 36 scores correctly and the subsequent poor ways of handling mismatches made it worth implementing the feature so we continued with using physical cards.

The HDID system requires entry of scores post round as our wifi / internet coverage doesn't cover the course. Thus members were going to have to keep a note of their scores so why not stick with cards?

IanMcC

Visit site
Our club uses Club V1 system and some months back clubs were asked to turn on the Enhanced Marker setting so that instead of having a choice to choose a marker you now have to specify the marker (who must also be using the app) and they will then validate your score at the end of the game. At the time Club V1 said the change was requested by England Golf to ensure we were playing within the Rules. I’ve asked about the setting a couple of times but our club comp sec has said that he spoke to Club V1 and they said it was a voluntary setting so he isn’t turning it on. This is nothing new - Our Comps Sec is often a law unto himself!

You should applaud your Comp Secretary, and be happy that he is there for you.
Unless of course you have ulterior motives.........

wjemather

Visit site

Having the 'enhanced scoring' option enabled means that the howdidido app meets all the requirements of a scorecard per the rules of golf, so can be used in place of physical scorecards.

There is no obligation for the setting to be enabled, so it commonly will not be if the committee wish to use physical scorecards and have the app function only as a method for entering scores onto the system (as an alternative to the usual terminal in the clubhouse/pro shop).

DickInShorts

Visit site
Mikejohnchapman -
Under the previous Scottish Golf App if the two scores (marker & player input) didn’t agree it showed in pink on the (electronic) scorecard and the round could not be completed until the two sets of 18 agreed.
It took no more time to enter your score and the player you were marking than it did to write on a card!

D-S

Visit site
The setting means the app can be used instead of a card - the app didn’t used to insist on a marker but with the setting turned on it works like the EG app with general rounds - that the marker has to go into the app and verify.
Does the Club accept General Play scores for handicap using the App? (and therefore no need for attestation).

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is an issue with club v1 app at moment. I tried downloading it but couldn't find it in Google Play store?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Mikejohnchapman -
Under the previous Scottish Golf App if the two scores (marker & player input) didn’t agree it showed in pink on the (electronic) scorecard and the round could not be completed until the two sets of 18 agreed.
It took no more time to enter your score and the player you were marking than it did to write on a card!
Got to disagree Dick, we found both the previous and current SG Apps virtually unuseable, if your course doesn't have a strong signal throughout then you are likely to have some major issues, we did, and went to physical scorecards as quickly as covid regs allowed, we won't be dropping paper scorecards anytime soon.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My app is working in that I see notices and my bar balance but I could only find the Admin app on play store
Ya that's my problem. I changed to a new phone last night. The app was working fine on old phone yesterday. But couldn't find app on play store this morning to install on new phone

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
if we enter scores on the terminal in the locker room you don't need to a marker, if you enter it on the app, it does ask for a markers name, although I don't know if it then messages the marker to verify the score, it does ask for the marker to confirm if it is for a general play score

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My app is working in that I see notices and my bar balance but I could only find the Admin app on play store
It's there in Play Store under 'howdidido'

Incidentally has anyone else noticed that you often have to sign in again? It stays logged in for a few days then you have to login again. My wife and both I have this issue.

Last edited:

NearHull

Visit site
I have asked the local Club International rep about the continuing issue of having to log on. He stated that it was due to the continuous updates and that there wasn’t a fix in the pipeline.

sandgrownun

Visit site
My new club allows you to enter a score on the terminal (or club v1/hdid app) - it asks who the marker was but the marker isn't then required to confirm anything. No cards are ever handed in (either general play or competition), they are simply discarded after entering by the player.

This seems a bit odd but the club say they have checked and this is fine. Is this standard at other clubs?