Club slipping under short chips

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Frustrating chipping this weekend. The club seemed to be slipping under the ball and going about 1 yard. Longer chips seem to be OK. I've tried different clubs (PW, SW, Lob) but it's all the same. Deceleration or head up or what!?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm no expert but if you don't keep your hands forward the already low loft will deloft even more and go under the ball, keeping your hands forward is critical on chip shots IMO, and is how I've been taught.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Level put your weight. If this is the case.

[video=youtube;AaZ-Ka-AQGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaZ-Ka-AQGc[/video]

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Really can't picture the club slipping under the ball on a tight fairway and only going 1 yard. is the leading edge digging into the ground.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
In my (Uneducated) opinion, it sounds like you're getting steep on your chip, perhaps de-lofting the clubface and catching the ball high on the clubface or even a little heavy.

Can you describe how you set up to the ball to play a chip?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was the ground fairly wet? This has happened to me a few times over the winter, usually its because i've hit the ground first slightly behind the ball, took the grass away and the ball has popped straight up in the air allowing the club to pass under it. For me anyway it was just poor chipping off a wet lie. Hands forward, weight on left side helps to strike ball first. Any deceleration isn't going to help either, make sure you commit full to that shot.