Club champs scores

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Popped up to the club to see what happened in club champs and utterly amazed at some of the net scores (we have gross and net champs this isnt a discussion about that!)

Our course is pretty open and its usual defense is the wind and that it runs really firm in summer (like an inland links style course)

These last few weeks weve had plenty of rain and sun, so the course was lush but the greens receptive (and not that quick) and there wasnt a bit of wind.

The results: (Par 72/SSS 72/CSS 71)

Day 1 there were 2 net 61s yet neither of them won the net comp over 2 days as someone else had a pair of net 65s! Usually there is 1 or 2 scores under par net cumulative, this year there were 19 of them!!!!

A couple of players were under par in the gross (the only 2 entrants off less than 4), a stiffed wedge at the last enough to edge out a missed eagle attempt by a shot!

Anyone elses been as benign weather wise and scoring so good?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Our club champs are this upcoming weekend, so I'll tell you afterwards, but last year it was definitely less extreme at ours. No one played two really good rounds in a row, and the best scores were around nett 66 or so. I played a nett 67 on the first day and a nett 77 on the second day and came second. I think the winner had a nett 73 on the first and then a nett 66 on the second day.

D

Deleted member 15344

Popped up to the club to see what happened in club champs and utterly amazed at some of the net scores (we have gross and net champs this isnt a discussion about that!)

Our course is pretty open and its usual defense is the wind and that it runs really firm in summer (like an inland links style course)

These last few weeks weve had plenty of rain and sun, so the course was lush but the greens receptive (and not that quick) and there wasnt a bit of wind.

Day 1 there were 2 net 61s yet neither of them won the net comp over 2 days as someone else had a pair of net 65s! Usually there is 1 or 2 scores under par net cumulative, this year there were 19 of them!!!!

A couple of players were under par in the gross (the only 2 entrants off less than 4), a stiffed wedge at the last enough to edge out a missed eagle attempt by a shot!

Played it Friday and the course was very playable - no wind , rough was short , greens receptive and fairways still running - can easily see why there were low scores , did Darren or Will win ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played it Friday and the course was very playable - no wind , rough was short , greens receptive and fairways still running - can easily see why there were low scores , did Darren or Will win ?

Darren won up the last mainly due to Will taking 7 up 14 to get it back from 3 ahead to all level, then holed a monster on 15 and stiffed his wedge at the last

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This year the course record at our club was broken by one of the players in the Dorset County Championship during a day with excellent weather.

The green staff had been able to get the course in to excellent nick with the really good weather and having played myself on the day just after they went out the balls were rolling miles.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a gross and net prize. Won by the same guy off three who had 74 (+4) and 68 (-2) gross to win gross by 5 shots and that became 71 and 65 net which won by a single shot from a 5 and 7 handicapper who tied for second

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I'll be the one that asks, how many rounds have those players with the 61s and the 65s posted this year

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our Club Champs were played on the hottest weekend of the year, back in June - it was about 29-30°C both days. Our par is 68.

The gross winner got 149 (73 & 76). He beat another guy who had 149 on a play-off hole, and there were three guys who ended up on 150.
The lower handicappers net winner got 69 & 67 (gross rounds of 76 & 74).
The higher handicappers net winner got 68 & 68 (gross rounds of 86 & 86).

One feller got a net 64 on Saturday, before throwing it all away with a net 83 on Sunday! I did something similar in reverse as I got a horrible net 84 followed by a net 68 when the pressure was off, haha.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our club champ off of 2 posted two gross 70's (par 71, CSS 72) which if i remember correctly were the 2 best nett scores on each day too, nett 68. In conclusion our course played tough and fair ,no-one ripped it up but the cream rose to the top.