Club championship scores 80+

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
A club I've recently left has just had the first round of their club championship, the leader scored 82. Second round is today.
Has anyone else been a member somewhere where nobody in the club championships broke 80? I'm trying to understand whether this is unusual or not.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It depends on the size of the membership, weather conditions on the day. At my last place it would not be unusual for the numbers not to break into double figures for entrants and so no one under 80 would not be a surprise.

AliMc

Visit site
No chance of that at our place, we have around 35 or so with hi of scratch or better, usually a few rounds in the 60's in all 3 qualifying rounds (best 2 to count) low 70's even in poor weather, I don't know exactly but I think probably a couple of 74's or 75's are needed to get into the 16 for the knockout stage could be less. I've qualified twice in 40 years, off a 4 or 5 h'cap, both times around the 147 mark

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Played in ours yesterday, at one point, there were only 4 or 5 players under 80 gross. Heard that our lowest handicap player shot 8 or 9 on the first….. tough school out there yesterday, which it should be for club champs.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never seen that in our Club Championships but I have seen a best gross of 78 in our Seniors Championship ( we have quite a few single seniors).

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First day of our Champs as well yesterday, hot and still dry and leaders are both on 78 with only 3 players under 80. Favourite on +2 shot 80. Some good nett scores though around 72-74

RichA

Visit site
Ours was yesterday. One round - the 33 entrants having qualified via previous comps.
The winner (HI 8) took 73 strokes.

Last year the better players all had stinkers and the winner (HI 19) had the round of his life with 82.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I won our ladies championship with 82 and 83

the men had 10 players under 80 in the first round, best being 68 -2, not as good 2nd round 68 guy won but had a 78 in the 2nd round

Bobthesock

Visit site
No chance of that at our place, we have around 35 or so with hi of scratch or better, usually a few rounds in the 60's in all 3 qualifying rounds (best 2 to count) low 70's even in poor weather, I don't know exactly but I think probably a couple of 74's or 75's are needed to get into the 16 for the knockout stage could be less. I've qualified twice in 40 years, off a 4 or 5 h'cap, both times around the 147 mark
Sounds like a particulary easy course if there are that .any scratch players.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A club I've recently left has just had the first round of their club championship, the leader scored 82. Second round is today.
Has anyone else been a member somewhere where nobody in the club championships broke 80? I'm trying to understand whether this is unusual or not.
How windy was it?

Bobthesock

Visit site
Do you have an understanding of course rating and slope?
These are what are meant to set the levels with regard to hcp.
I understand how they are supposed to work but it's very flawed. I get the same amount of shots at a well known top 100 course as I do at my own little one. No comparison in difficulty

Bobthesock

Visit site
But your differential will be different if the course rating and slope are higher.
That's another flaw in the system. Shot a 10 over at a local (imo) much easier course than mine and it gave me a differential of 6.9. The same differential at my course would be about 8.5. So if I wanted a lower handicap I could just switch courses