Club Championship Open To All

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Mine does, 2 off +4, a few off +3 and +2. Our white tees are 6329 yards and it’s a tight parkland course with 5 par 3’s (shortest is about 155 to the front pin, longest is over 200 into the wind most times.)

The young lass has won tournaments all over the country and I saw a post of hers that had her flightscope numbers and she was carrying it 260 off the tee which is more than enough distance for most member courses.

My money would still be on her to win the Championship if she entered.
I'm guessing that's young RachelG? Real nice friendly lass. Watched her play the Sunningdale Foursomes and the Rose Ladies Series at Walton Heath. She doesn't half give the ball a good whack.

wjemather

Visit site
For anyone interested (or confused), this is taken from CONGU's guidance on the Rules of Handicapping (Appendix I, section III):
It is often incorrectly assumed that handicap is irrelevant in a mixed/multi-tee scratch event. This is not the case and, instead, such an event can be considered as one in which the players’ Course Handicaps are all 0.0 so that the Playing Handicap calculation becomes:
Playing Handicap = Difference in Course Ratings

Springveldt

Visit site
There is a difference of almost 1000 yards between our red and white tees. The +5 girl isn't going to beat the low guys off the whites.
How far are the whites? If she is carrying it 260 then the whites would need to be over 7000 yards for it to make a difference imho.

I'm guessing that's young RachelG? Real nice friendly lass. Watched her play the Sunningdale Foursomes and the Rose Ladies Series at Walton Heath. She doesn't half give the ball a good whack.
Yes, Rachel Gourley is her name. Never seen her at the course though. :) Won the Sunningdale Foursomes with her friend who is also +5, hammered Paul Hendriksen and his partner 6&5 in the final (although it was a handicap comp and they got a lot of shots) and I've seen plenty of Paul playing as he's always on his brother's YouTube channel.

As you say, she also won the Rose Ladies Series beating European Tour Pro's along side Laura Davies and Trish Johnson.

With the way she is going she has a shot at making it imho. The club have just given her an honorary life membership.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How far are the whites? If she is carrying it 260 then the whites would need to be over 7000 yards for it to make a difference imho.

Yes, Rachel Gourlay is her name. Never seen her at the course though. :) Won the Sunningdale Foursomes with her friend who is also +5, hammered Paul Hendriksen and his partner 6&5 in the final (although it was a handicap comp and they got a lot of shots) and I've seen plenty of Paul playing as he's always on his brother's YouTube channel.

As you say, she also won the Rose Ladies Series beating European Tour Pro's along side Laura Davies and Trish Walker.

With the way she is going she has a shot at making it imho. The club have just given her an honorary life membership.
Yup - she played the Sunningdale foursomes with her England Golf teammate and good friend Lottie Woad who is a member at my place. At Sunningdale the two of them were keeping well up with the blokes off the tee - though as the fairways were soft and it was raining that will have really cut down the roll-out advantage the blokes might have had through greater clubhead speed - if indeed they had greater speed. It's great watching them play - I've been able to have 18 holes with Lottie and that was eye-opening for a hacker such as I.

The two of them are off to Germany next week to play in the German Boys and Girls Open, and they are both (I think - Lottie certainly is) off to the states later in the year - Lottie to Florida; Rachel to Georgia (I think). They could most certainly have a good chance of making it.

D

Deleted member 23270

It's 5500 v 6450 so quite a difference. Doesn't matter that women can hit the ball 260 when they are up against men that can hit it 300+

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Classic forum thread this ?
In terms of the OP is it clarified what the actual comp details are?
If it were
Men's Gross (CC)
Women's Gross (CC)
All in together fun nett prizes

That would make sense to me

D

Deleted member 15344

Classic forum thread this ?
In terms of the OP is it clarified what the actual comp details are?
If it were
Men's Gross (CC)
Women's Gross (CC)
All in together fun nett prizes

That would make sense to me

As we all know with the OP he at times is lose with the full facts - I’m going to suggest it’s a handicap event

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Our has changed for this year. Used to be 36 holes in a day with the winner being best gross. Also a best nett category.

This year, the 2nd round will be on a certain date with people playing in reverse order. The first round will be played “from the Thursday the preceding week” which I find ridiculous. So for your first round you can play it on one of 3 days, provided it is under competition conditions. It is unclear yet whether you have to state which is your club champs round 1 before you play it.

RRidges

Visit site
This seems like a club trying too hard to be politically correct. Like it or not, golf involves power and men have the advantage. There should be 2 separate competitions, one for each sex. End of.
Or a poster who has misinterpreted the email message - apparently quite a common occurrence!
I agree with the 2 comps.There's a major Tennis tournament going on currently that maintains the separation between sexes for obvious strength differences. There are very few sports where sexes aren't separated - Darts and Snooker being a couple.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Or a poster who has misinterpreted the email message - apparently quite a common occurrence!
I agree with the 2 comps.There's a major Tennis tournament going on currently that maintains the separation between sexes for obvious strength differences. There are very few sports where sexes aren't separated - Darts and Snooker being a couple.
..and some of the ones that involve sitting on a horse.

RichA

Visit site
I agree with the 2 comps.There'sajor Tennis tournament going on currently that maintains the separation between sexes for obvious strength differences. There are very few sports where sexes aren't separated - Darts and Snooker being a couple.
Maybe part of the problem lies with golfers who compare the importance of their local recreational golf club "championship" with an elite professional, global grand slam tennis tournament.
Elite professional grand slam tennis is a big money industry. Golf at your local club is a game.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
True political correctness and equality would have all entrants play off the same tees, whether the red or whites wouldnt matter. Different tees is by definition, discrimination.

Exactly what I said to a member at ours yesterday as he started to explain why the ladies couldn't play off our whites as the course hadn't been rated for that instance. There is only one lady that has entered. It will be interesting to see the results later

badgergm

Visit site
For anyone interested (or confused), this is taken from CONGU's guidance on the Rules of Handicapping (Appendix I, section III):
It is often incorrectly assumed that handicap is irrelevant in a mixed/multi-tee scratch event. This is not the case and, instead, such an event can be considered as one in which the players’ Course Handicaps are all 0.0 so that the Playing Handicap calculation becomes:
Playing Handicap = Difference in Course Ratings
is that not just equivalent to saying that competition is judged by difference between your gross score and course rating? Whats handicap got to do with that?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two ladies played yesterday out of a total of 12. It's a scratch comp. The leader is on 71 a player off +1.6. The best lady is on 77. "No round details available". Wonder why? I'd have thought a better score than 71 would have been posted. The course was awesome yesterday. I've never seen our greens so perfect. Just goes to show, it's tough off whites even for the superstars.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Two ladies played yesterday out of a total of 12. It's a scratch comp. The leader is on 71 a player off +1.6. The best lady is on 77. "No round details available". Wonder why? I'd have thought a better score than 71 would have been posted. The course was awesome yesterday. I've never seen our greens so perfect. Just goes to show, it's tough off whites even for the superstars.

Were the pins in tough positions?