Club Shafts

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So today I have broke a second shaft in my driver. I purchased a replacement, almost identical, for the original one two months ago and it has snapped in the exact same place as the first one did. Now, if you remember, the first one was a ladies shaft, which means that it is about 25cm shorter than a blokes one. Now I'm an old bloke playing off 15, not Rory in the peak of physical fitness, so my swing speed is not that of a pro golfer, so surely the shaft in question should be able to withstand the stresses I am able to put on it? I was having a great day with it as well. I was swinging really well and getting some great distances, better than summer, so was very disapointed when it snapped on the 16th tee. Where does it snap? Just below where my left hand is on the club shaft. This shouldn't happen, should it?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you use the range a lot?

Last time I snapped a shaft funnily enough it went in the same place as yours and I put it down the head hitting the mat on a range which is nowhere near as soft as grass.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had one just under the grip.
My pro said he sees a few that the head is hit with the tailgate of a car .
It jars the shaft into the bottom of the bag.
The spot where the stiff part of the shaft softens into the mid section must be susceptible to this damage.
Only a theory .

Jason.H

Visit site
Are you sure they are not getting damaged in transit in the boot. Going round corners quick will throw the golf bag side to side.

D

Deleted member 23270

If it's under the grip then possibly someone has damaged the shaft when replacing the grip.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Pro at my last club said that shaft breakages under the grip are often caused by the slamming the ground after a poor shot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now, if you remember, the first one was a ladies shaft, which means that it is about 25cm shorter than a blokes one. ?

I had one just under the grip.

The spot where the stiff part of the shaft softens into the mid section must be susceptible to this damage.
Only a theory .

The question comes is the 25 cm shorter correct that would only give a shaft length of around 36"
Having checked a new shaft that would mean the entire section of a shaft where the grip is meant to has been cut off

If yes

These two comment fit well.
When building a mans club only about 5 cm of the butt of a new shaft is being cut off so if an additional 20 cm is being cut off that is an awful lot of the thinner section that is ending up under the grip.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The question comes is the 25 cm shorter correct that would only give a shaft length of around 36"
Having checked a new shaft that would mean the entire section of a shaft where the grip is meant to has been cut off

If yes

These two comment fit well.
When building a mans club only about 5 cm of the butt of a new shaft is being cut off so if an additional 20 cm is being cut off that is an awful lot of the thinner section that is ending up under the grip.
Sorry, I was trying to be metric and failing....25mm. ?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting another, can get them off eBay, and stripping the grip off putting some strong tape on then putting a new grip on. Would that work do you think?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting another, can get them off eBay, and stripping the grip off putting some strong tape on then putting a new grip on. Would that work do you think?
No tape would not be strong enough. The shaft needs to flex.
It would just make your grip thicker.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So a good make.

If they are Callaway originals I would ask Callaway if there is a problem.

Note; I noticed others cheaper on ebay

Ian_George

Visit site
There's a thread on Hacker's Paradise about (Yellow) Hzrdus shafts having breakage problems in TM heads. No idea whether that's related though. Time to try a different shaft?