Club Championship Open To All

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stop press. I've, today, had an e mail from the club to say that the ladies can now play in the club championship! AND, they will play off reds as this is the only measured course for them. Brilliant! I've seen some of our elite ladies wait for the green to clear on 18, whereas the blokes have two mighty blows, off whites, to get close to the green, let alone on the damn thing. Oh, and the 6th. It's a par four for the ladies, at about 210. Again the elite will be laughing their socks off as they knock the ball down for an eagle 2, possibly. I'm not in it, but just bringing this up for people to see that other clubs are bonkers too. LOL...not

D

Deleted member 23270

Excellent! Can men play in the ladies club championship?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is this not the entire point of the handicap system, so any golfer can compete against any other golfer?
All our club comps are open to any member, regardless of age or gender. I'm quite happy to play at an inclusive golf club.
Club championships tend to be scratch golf though. It might be the only comp of the year like that. It's meant to show who is the absolute best golfer at the club so handicaps are not used.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The ladies have their own CC at Nairn for both handicap and Scratch, only the scratch gets a name on the board though, for men and Women. Not many women enter though, 36 holes of stroke play to qualify then 72 holes match play for women and and extra 36 final for the men.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When ladies and gents play in the same comp off different tees. Handicaps are adjusted by the difference in the course ratings between the sets of tees.

D

Deleted member 15344

1. Is it off scratch ? Shouldn’t they all play if the same tee if it is ?

2. If it’s handicaps then can the Men enter the Ladies Club champs as well

RichA

Visit site
Club championships tend to be scratch golf though. It might be the only comp of the year like that. It's meant to show who is the absolute best golfer at the club so handicaps are not used.
Ours provides a club champion and a club handicap champion, but it only shows who had the best round on that particular day. Last year's winner of both is absolutely not the best golfer at the club - he just happened to have the round of his life when each and every proper golfer had a shocker.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stop press. I've, today, had an e mail from the club to say that the ladies can now play in the club championship! AND, they will play off reds as this is the only measured course for them. Brilliant! I've seen some of our elite ladies wait for the green to clear on 18, whereas the blokes have two mighty blows, off whites, to get close to the green, let alone on the damn thing. Oh, and the 6th. It's a par four for the ladies, at about 210. Again the elite will be laughing their socks off as they knock the ball down for an eagle 2, possibly. I'm not in it, but just bringing this up for people to see that other clubs are bonkers too. LOL...not

So your "elite" Ladies play from the red tees. Surely their handicaps are based on their performance from those red tees and will be as accurate as yours from whatever tees you play from - unless you are saying that WHS works only for Men.

All the clubs I have known have a trophy for best gross and best nett.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours provides a club champion and a club handicap champion, but it only shows who had the best round on that particular day. Last year's winner of both is absolutely not the best golfer at the club - he just happened to have the round of his life when each and every proper golfer had a shocker.
What you describe can always happen but the point is that person had the best scratch round that day. No handicap questions, straight up the lowest round.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The World #1, technically the " best player in the World " doesn't win every time...

D

Deleted member 15344

Our club championship is not a handicapped event. I didn't realise that any were.

Club Championship for most clubs is a scratch comp but a lot of clubs also have a Handicap comp running alongside it so that everyone can play

But the Club Champion will for most club be the person with the lowest gross

I’m not sure how they work mixed comps without handicaps

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Club Championship for most clubs is a scratch comp but a lot of clubs also have a Handicap comp running alongside it so that everyone can play

But the Club Champion will for most club be the person with the lowest gross

I’m not sure how they work mixed comps without handicaps
Ours is match play, best 16 players from the qualifier play knockout.

D

Deleted member 23270

This seems like a club trying too hard to be politically correct. Like it or not, golf involves power and men have the advantage. There should be 2 separate competitions, one for each sex. End of.