Club Championship Open To All

D

Deleted member 15344

This seems like a club trying too hard to be politically correct. Like it or not, golf involves power and men have the advantage. There should be 2 separate competitions, one for each sex. End of.
I suspect it’s just a handicap comp and not a true scratch club champs as most know it

Springveldt

Visit site
This seems like a club trying too hard to be politically correct. Like it or not, golf involves power and men have the advantage. There should be 2 separate competitions, one for each sex. End of.
The lowest handicap at my club is a 17 year girl who is off +5.6. My money would be on her to win the club championship if she were to play in it.

D

Deleted member 23270

The lowest handicap at my club is a 17 year girl who is off +5.6. My money would be on her to win the club championship if she were to play in it.
There is a girl off +5 at my club but there is no way she would beat the +4 and +3 guys off the back tees.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ours is match play, best 16 players from the qualifier play knockout.
In addition to a two round Club championship which has best gross and best nett winners with the former being club champion, we also have a scratch knockout comp and it is that that tends to identify the best golfer of the year, and so to win is much recognized. Ladies can enter our scratch KO, but I note that our +5.6 lady hasn't enters this year - probab!y too busy playing in tournaments all over the place to fit in multiple rounds. I am not sure but our club champs may, for first time, this year be mixed as we have moved in general and appropriate to mixed comps.

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
There is a girl off +5 at my club but there is no way she would beat the +4 and +3 guys off the back tees.
Not every club has plus hcp members though.
Mine does, 2 off +4, a few off +3 and +2. Our white tees are 6329 yards and it’s a tight parkland course with 5 par 3’s (shortest is about 155 to the front pin, longest is over 200 into the wind most times.)

The young lass has won tournaments all over the country and I saw a post of hers that had her flightscope numbers and she was carrying it 260 off the tee which is more than enough distance for most member courses.

My money would still be on her to win the Championship if she entered.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mine does, 2 off +4, a few off +3 and +2. Our white tees are 6329 yards and it’s a tight parkland course with 5 par 3’s (shortest is about 155 to the front pin, longest is over 200 into the wind most times.)

The young lass has won tournaments all over the country and I saw a post of hers that had her flightscope numbers and she was carrying it 260 off the tee which is more than enough distance for most member courses.

She sounds fantastic. Hope she makes it as a pro.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our place has separate men and women's competitions. I think this is the right approach. Despite slope and CRs and so on, the women's winning score is usually somewhat higher than the men's. The best women's player is around a 5, but we have a number of scratch and plus men.

This year there is a course handicap limit in the men's of 18, although that is mainly because of capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: AAC

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At most clubs I know off there are distinct separate sections.
When we tried medals one winter open to all they weren't popular with the women, which is a pity. The next year we went back to separate comps.

D

Deleted member 23270

There is a difference of almost 1000 yards between our red and white tees. The +5 girl isn't going to beat the low guys off the whites.

wjemather

Visit site
One point worth noting is that ladies, seniors and juniors have their own sections (with their own committee to run competitions, including their club champs) within most clubs. Men do not; although at many clubs the club committee will run comps almost exclusively for men. Probably time this changed.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So your "elite" Ladies play from the red tees. Surely their handicaps are based on their performance from those red tees and will be as accurate as yours from whatever tees you play from - unless you are saying that WHS works only for Men.

All the clubs I have known have a trophy for best gross and best nett.
I think you've not read the full post. The elite ladies wait for the green to clear on 18 a par four because they can reach it, and they have a 210 yard par four. Two possible eagle chances.

wjemather

Visit site
I think you've not read the full post. The elite ladies wait for the green to clear on 18 a par four because they can reach it, and they have a 210 yard par four. Two possible eagle chances.
Surely the lowest aggregate score (total number of strokes) wins, so par is completely irrelevant?

D

Deleted member 15344

If it’s a scratch comp then it doesn’t matter if it’s a par 4 or not - it’s the lowest score that counts ?

unless it’s a handicap event ? Which is it

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the men have to play off longer tees, then it is no longer a scratch competition, as the women are benefitting from being handicapped.
It isnt a club champioship.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
True political correctness and equality would have all entrants play off the same tees, whether the red or whites wouldnt matter. Different tees is by definition, discrimination.