claiming a hole in match play retrospectively

ChrisWelsh

Hacker
Visit site
Many of the things posted here can be solved by looking up the rule book (which I just downloaded to my iphone after the other post) BUT the benefit of it is that we all see the discussion and, more importantly the context. I have learned so much from this part of the forum simply by seeing the situations which occur, then how the rules apply to that specific situation.

It makes the rules come to life so much more and helps me remember them.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Without in any way disagreeing that every golfer should have a book of rules in his bag and ideally be reasonably conversant with them, I don't quite understand your point. At some level or another we - and I expect that includes you! - find it necessary to get help with the Rules of Golf. There will be those who are early learners and look for help with what you might consider elementary. There are those who are pretty knowledgeable who will nonetheless look for help with stuff that is really difficult. At whatever level, we are looking for more than just what the words of the rule/decision say: we are looking for explanation, illustration, a turning of the rule into different words in order to help us reach understanding. I don't care if someone wants help in this forum on what to do if he loses his ball or wants to know how he could proceed when his ball was in a thicket of hawthorn bushes planted about 2 metres apart each of which had a metal cage round its trunk. The latter is a situation I had to help a player with in a tournament last weekend. Should I have just given him a copy of the Rules and told him to work it out for himself?

Please don't let anyone feel reluctant to post a question.

Last edited:

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Without in any way disagreeing that every golfer should have a book of rules in his bag and ideally be reasonably conversant with them, I don't quite understand your point. At some level or another we - and I expect that includes you! - find it necessary to get help with the Rules of Golf. There will be those who are early learners and look for help with what you might consider elementary. There are those who are pretty knowledgeable who will nonetheless look for help with stuff that is really difficult. At whatever level, we are looking for more than just what the words of the rule/decision say: we are looking for explanation, illustration, a turning of the rule into different words in order to help us reach understanding. I don't care if someone wants help in this forum on what to do if he loses his ball or wants to know how he could proceed when his ball was in a thicket of hawthorn bushes planted about 2 metres apart each of which had a metal cage round its trunk. The latter is a situation I had to help a player with in a tournament last weekend. Should I have just given him a copy of the Rules and told him to work it out for himself?

Please don't let anyone feel reluctant to post a question.

:thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Get a "Rules of Golf "book, look up "handicap" in the index and there it is. Simples!

While I carry one in my bag, I tend not to put my reading glasses in and the writing is pretty small! It's also often quite fiddly and a bit of a struggle, though perhaps not in one of the queries in this case, to actually pick the right key word to look up in the index.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
While I carry one in my bag, I tend not to put my reading glasses in and the writing is pretty small! It's also often quite fiddly and a bit of a struggle, though perhaps not in one of the queries in this case, to actually pick the right key word to look up in the index.

Varifocals, brilliant! Have you tried them? Some people, my wife included, just can't use them. Great for golf though.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I Carrry a short copy of the rules of golf
Also the full rules of golf
Also the pictorial version
Plus the decisions on the rules of golf
Plus my laptop for the r&a site
Plus my ipad for the forum for context

Can't do without them

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of course not, but some of the questions asked seem to indicate that those asking the questions don't know that the rules are written down anywhere or where to find them.

Most questions asked anywhere on this or any other forum about any other topic seem to indicate that people don't know how to use Google. It would be a very quiet forum if everyone went elsewhere to answers for their questions.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most questions asked anywhere on this or any other forum about any other topic seem to indicate that people don't know how to use Google. It would be a very quiet forum if everyone went elsewhere to answers for their questions.

Unless google points them to the R&A/USGA Rules they are just as likely to get a wrong answer as a correct one.

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
In one of the first comps I entered as a high handicapper (and not too aux fait with rules) my opponent complained about how many shots he had to give me - 28/11 = 17.
After a few holes he screwed his drive and I hit a beauty.
I noticed him on the phone as he caught up with me.
He claimed he'd just rung the pro shop.
He announced that he'd just checked that after a comp a few days before his HC was now 12 not 11.
Even as a novice I knew this was wrong but determined to play on and not detract from my game with an argument.
It got more bizarre.
When he drove he insisted that I stood just outside the tee peg he was facing - "it's in the rules".
On the greens I had to be completely out of his sight - he'd wave me aside or wouldn't putt.
I took him 15 holes before he won then he became "hail fellow, well met".

I later learned that he was renowned throughout the club and if anyone stood their ground he'd lose the plot.
Cant wait for a rematch :cool:

Digressing slightly, regarding earlier posts, I recently posted on a food forum and asked for "tried and tested" marinades for pork steaks.
One poster replied "Google it - there's loads".
I replied that he didn't really understand the concept of a forum.