Cigarette Ends...litter?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Now my club has recently asked that smoker members consider their fag ends as they would such as a sweet paper - to be disposed of carefully and with consideration. This means that discarded fags ends are considered to be litter.

Now I have never smoked and whilst I will pick up any rubbish I come across on the course and carry it to the nearest bin (next tee usually) - I cannot - just cannot - pick up fag ends as just the thought of doing so almost makes me wretch. Indeed I do wretch whenever I try and do so.

So what thinks smokers? Fag ends just another sort of litter? And how about smokers doing the decent and right thing and picking up the discarded fag ends of others less considerate and who have been more willing to litter the course.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am not a smoker either, and I 100% agree. It is litter and should be put into the bin as all other litter should. I am not one to say what others can and cannot do, but I do find it pretty disgusting when standing on a tee box or even trying to putt and all i can smell is someone else's smoke. There have been times when I have had a cigarette butt on my line on a putt and it is absolutely disgusting.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing more inconsiderate than dead fag butts left on a green or fringe, or anywhere really on a course.
In fact, anywhere except the smokers own home or garden.

U

User62651

Agree it's a litter issue but is the problem not that the thing is on fire?

In that regard you can't lob it in a bin or pick it up and carry to a bin until you've waited a few minutes to make absolutely sure it's out.

They'd need to start putting ashtrays out beside the bins or a bucket of sand at the least.

nowtfancy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I sometimes enjoy a few smokes but hate to see fag ends dropped anywhere, especially on a golf course.
My golf bag always has a couple of cheap travel ashtrays for me to keep tab ends in until i empty it in a bin.

I have sometimes 'lent' one to others if i see them drop a cigarette, i dont usually get them back - good job they're only cheap!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Could be your most uncontroversial post to date... absolutely disgusting and yet so many smokers seem to think they don't count as litter.

And there was me thinking it was controversial. Wonder if, when we see a smoker playing companion chuck a fag end down, we should point out that they are littering :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I help to maintain the garden in front of our clubhouse, it really gets me annoyed with the number of smokers who think the garden is an ashtray.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
It's disgusting and totally agree it's litter. Too many smokers see to think it's acceptable to finish their cigarette and throw it on the floor whether it's at a golf course or in the street.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's littering. Put it in the bin, your disgusting habit is causing the courses to look unkempt.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not about to swim against the tide here either. Litter, simple as!

And no more excuse for dropping them on the course than not repairing pitch marks or raking bunkers.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Now my club has recently asked that smoker members consider their fag ends as they would such as a sweet paper - to be disposed of carefully and with consideration. This means that discarded fags ends are considered to be litter.

Now I have never smoked and whilst I will pick up any rubbish I come across on the course and carry it to the nearest bin (next tee usually) - I cannot - just cannot - pick up fag ends as just the thought of doing so almost makes me wretch. Indeed I do wretch whenever I try and do so.

So what thinks smokers? Fag ends just another sort of litter? And how about smokers doing the decent and right thing and picking up the discarded fag ends of others less considerate and who have been more willing to litter the course.

Exactly the same for me. I wouldn't have even gone to the shop for my mum to buy them for her and I've never ever had a puff of one

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Don't get me started on this one, and it is not confined to the golf course. Been to Twycross zoo today and seen a lovely tattooed bird have a last drag on half a fag and promptly chuck it in a full bin glowing its head off. It just seems that smokers have a sensible gene missing.
Litter, any litter proper rubs me up.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a little pouch that I use when I am playing that extinguished cigarette ends, I hate seeing fag ends just dropped around the course, or anywhere else for that matter.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bit of a tangent but I have a burn on my chest - I used to ride a motorbike and car driver flicked still lit butt out of window from car in front that ended up down front of my leathers.

F- painful!!

s

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't get me started on this one, and it is not confined to the golf course. Been to Twycross zoo today and seen a lovely tattooed bird have a last drag on half a fag and promptly chuck it in a full bin glowing its head off. It just seems that smokers have a sensible gene missing.
Litter, any litter proper rubs me up.
They shouldn't let the birds in the zoo smoke , not in front of the children anyway!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree it's a litter issue but is the problem not that the thing is on fire?

In that regard you can't lob it in a bin or pick it up and carry to a bin until you've waited a few minutes to make absolutely sure it's out.

They'd need to start putting ashtrays out beside the bins or a bucket of sand at the least.

Flick the end off and put it out under your foot - that bit's all biodegradable so not a problem. Then you can just chuck what's left into the nearest bin.