Church Stretton incident I just saw on Facebook

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really does seem like the club just have no idea what they're doing. If they lost the legal battle they'll lose another if they try to ban him as a result.

Should literally just let the lawyers sort it all out. :ROFLMAO: However, its comedy gold....

Little Englandisms

Make up what you want and people will stick to it

Unfortunately the world doesn't work like that anymore and if someone challenges your decision you can't just ban them for not towing the line

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Wonder what the terms of settlement were? We're not getting the full pic here. Lots of assumptions being made on both sides of the discussion.

I've followed his Insta now, looking forward to the next instalment.

Suspect that's the reason for him going to the club to wind them up. Lots of followers equal cash ultimately

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wonder what the terms of settlement were? We're not getting the full pic here

Suspect that's the reason for him going to the club to wind them up. Lots of followers equal cash ultimately
I'm not an expert on how Instragram works but surely you're not making money unless you have like 10,000 followers and can sell advertising on it? He's on 661.

sunshine

Visit site
Basically he was in a committee position back in 2015 but he felt they were discriminating against him because of age - the only evidence he quotes was people calling him 'immature' and things like that though.
Well they weren't wrong about that :LOL:

The key sentence in the article is this one:
"Marketing consultant Mr Gidney, aged 35, from Church Stretton, agreed an out of a tribunal settlement with the club in 2017 after making a complaint of age discrimination."

Why is this still a big deal SIX years later? Is the marketing consultant looking for some publicity? Neither side is coming out of this with any credit.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I'm not an expert on how Instragram works but surely you're not making money unless you have like 10,000 followers and can sell advertising on it? He's on 661.

Indeed. Watch that number rise...

All I hear is a "toddler supermarket tantrum."

If the ban was unjust, show the letter banning you.

If his ban was lifted... show the agreement.

If the club is in breach of a tribunal settlement, show the documentation.

If he doesnt want to make the above public, he's merely winding up the old boys for social media attention. Successfully at that.

He could be completely in the right. If so, he'll have the means to prove it.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Indeed. Watch that number rise...

All I hear is a "toddler supermarket tantrum."

If the ban was unjust, show the letter banning you.

If his ban was lifted... show the agreement.

If the club is in breach of a tribunal settlement, show the documentation.

If he doesnt want to make the above public, he's merely winding up the old boys for social media attention. Successfully at that.

He could be completely in the right. If so, he'll have the means to prove it.

He may not be allowed to disclose some of that documentation.

The more you look at it, the more it looks like the typical old boys running a club thinking they can do what they want. It’s nice to see someone not rolling over.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
They all come across as pathetic losers, if they’re that bothered, get solicitors involved and get it sorted once and for all.
I’m really not sure how they would enjoy their golf when it seems most of the members can’t stand them 😂😂

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I just couldn't stand the "don't threaten me", "I feel threatened", etc. Threatened? On a golf course? With those numpties on camera?
Do me a favour!

D

Deleted member 15344

You can see the battle lines being drawn already

Those that don’t like the “old traditions” etc etc of golf clubs and how they act have already jumped onto one side without full awareness of the facts 😂

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I just couldn't stand the "don't threaten me", "I feel threatened", etc. Threatened? On a golf course? With those numpties on camera?
Do me a favour!

Yep. He's one stage away from putting fingers in his ears and shouting "I can't hear you!"

Mind you, the Club members are equally daft looking. If he should put up or shut up, so should they.

He may not be allowed to disclose some of that documentation.

Tribunal judgements are public records. Even if the pleadings are not. Now of course, we don't know what actual legal process (if any) took place. The club could have settled ahead of this.

Mind you, if I'd settled years ago over an action like this, I'd be playing my golf elsewhere. Church Stretton is not that good!

sunshine

Visit site
That instagram account is hilarious. Starts off very bland then bit by bit the posts about discrimination start slipping in.

Then there is the bombshell regarding the crested blazer 🤣
92F8162E-4E01-4A54-A961-563DF2C79A04.jpeg

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm assuming they banned him because he took legal action against the club? Might not be the official reason, but they clearly detest him as a result of this.

Can get that, someone I work with took the company to court for something unrelated to work itself I was like really .. your asking for trouble

He wasn't wrong tho

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Irrespective of whether he is banned or not (the two parties seem to struggle to agree on this point:D )...

If he hasn't paid a membership or a green fee....how does he think he is entitled to play?

Last edited: