Church Stretton incident I just saw on Facebook

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
My favorite part was the guy in the buggy giving it the big balls.
“I’m the immediate past captain”

We’ll done big man, you’ve put the fear of god in him there 🤣

I hate that so much about some golf clubs, I had “do you know who I am” at my old club once, pathetic old men acting like they own the place 🤣

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Love how one of them tried the "you can't play because you haven't paid!" and when he said he was happy to pay they went to "you can't pay you're banned!" Same destination by a roundabout way. :LOL:

I've just searched the course name on the forum and quite a few are familiar with it, I'm still hoping one of them pops up with some insider knowledge or backstory. ( @timd77 @Newnsy @DRW )

Wasn't there mention in the video of honorary life member aswell...

Don't you know who I am insta-273-752x501.gif

sjw

Visit site
Interesting that despite the fact that we know none of the details, everyone here is siding with the members giving them a hard time???

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting that despite the fact that we know none of the details, everyone here is siding with the members giving them a hard time???

I'd like to see the details. Tbh I'm more inclined to believe the 2 filming because they question a lot of times why are they banned and not one person knows

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is hilarious.

There has to be more to it. Also, why would you just keep going up there if it was going to cause aggro? Is the golf course actually any good to keep going up and risking ruining a round of golf?!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
"They signed a settlement agreement in 2017 where they agreed to end the ban but it hasn't happened," said Mr Gidney.
A spokesman for the club, who did not wish to be named, insisted that the ban would remain in place. He claimed that the agreement was made between the club's insurance company and did not mean the ban had to be lifted.

- how does the club's insurer come into this?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure they are. I've taken the consensus here to be that everybody comes out of it looking like knobs. Asking why they bother to keep trying to play a course where they're universally disliked is not the same as taking the club's side.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is hilarious.

There has to be more to it. Also, why would you just keep going up there if it was going to cause aggro? Is the golf course actually any good to keep going up and risking ruining a round of golf?!
According to my search of post history on here, some posters have said it is actually quite a unique course with lots of elevation and fun to play. Also from my Googling, Jon turned professional and shot 57 there one time (potentially the course record?) so I'm sure he has a lot of affinity for it.

Fabia999

Visit site
Im pretty sure the guy in question is a good golfer. represented England at a few levels and his county. He holds the course record there and they gave him honorary membership for life. I believe he also worked there. He reported bullying, age discrimination etc and was going to take them to a tribunal, the insurance company paid out and they tried to ban him but they can't because its national trust land? I'm not sure on that part.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im pretty sure the guy in question is a good golfer. represented England at a few levels and his county. He holds the course record there and they gave him honorary membership for life. I believe he also worked there. He reported bullying, age discrimination etc and was going to take them to a tribunal, the insurance company paid out and they tried to ban him but they can't because its national trust land? I'm not sure on that part.

It does seem they have gone the last resort nuclear option after all these years of being banned and the club arguing one way and him another

Maybe this national trust thing is his loophole as they can't remove him

But as stated by someone in the video he has right to walk not to play

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
These parts I understood too, but there are definitely scenes missing between "honorary membership for life" and "bullying and age discrimination".

D

Deleted member 15344

Siding with no one based on a video where no one comes out of it with any credit, not the club, not the members or the 2 guys claiming to be wronged

The whole thing is poor - the two guys with the beef and also the reaction from the club in the video

No one is coming out of it looking good

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
They loved him for his success and in so doing raising the profile of the club and gave him honorary membership and allowed/elected him to the management committee.

The complaint of age discrimination gave them a problem, and to solve the problem they banned him.

That's what I'm getting from this.

I don't think he is at all bothered about playing there, he wants to make the point that a lifetime ban from playing golf there with a green fee is not one that they are likely to succeed with eventually. In the meantime any bad publicity he can give them - well - he's done that fairly well.

If I were on the committee I would suggest that they let him pay a green fee and play. Probably the best way to get rid of him, if that's what they want.
25 years from now he could go back and no one will recognise him. Maybe sooner, by the looks of the "members" and what a right bunch of "members" he has made them look.

Last edited: