Church Stretton incident I just saw on Facebook

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They loved him for his success and in so doing raising the profile of the club and gave him honorary membership and allowed/elected him to the management committee.

The complaint of age discrimination gave them a problem, and to solve the problem the banned him.

That's what I'm getting from this.

I don't think he is at all bothered about playing there, he wants to make the point that a lifetime ban from playing golf there with a green fee is not one that they are likely to succeed with eventually. In the meantime any bad publicity he can give them - well - he's done that fairly well.

If I were on the committee I would suggest that they let him pay a green fee and play. Probably the best way to get rid of him, if that's what they want.
25 years from now he could go back and no one will recognise him. Maybe sooner, by the looks of the "members" and what a right bunch of "members" he has made them look.

did seem like they want to be like augusta national level of exclusiveness ..

why am I banned? your banned..

im a life member? your banned

ill pay? your banned

why am I banned? walks off

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Harping back to my old club again, one of the best players there got banned after a spat with the committee, it was proper handbags stuff over nothing really but both parties were so entrenched in the views he got a really long ban from the course, may have even been a life ban.
He used to come to the clubhouse and have a pint in the bar to wind up tue committee claiming he wasn’t actually on the course. It was glorious to watch 🤣

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
"They signed a settlement agreement in 2017 where they agreed to end the ban but it hasn't happened," said Mr Gidney.
A spokesman for the club, who did not wish to be named, insisted that the ban would remain in place. He claimed that the agreement was made between the club's insurance company and did not mean the ban had to be lifted.

- how does the club's insurer come into this?

I have not looked into this at all but my thoughts would be that the matter was litigious, the club used legal cover included in their insurance and the firm employed by the insurers settled the matter on behalf of their clients. That then confuses me though as if there is a settlement agreement to lift the ban and that has not been complied with then it is not a massive challenge to go to court and sue for either damanges on the breach of the agreement of even specific performance and the court can order that the ban be lifted. The club, I suspect, would not have the benefit of any legal cover defend this.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I were on the committee I would suggest that they let him pay a green fee and play. Probably the best way to get rid of him, if that's what they want.
25 years from now he could go back and no one will recognise him. Maybe sooner, by the looks of the "members" and what a right bunch of "members" he has made them look.
Agree with this. He'd probably hardly play there if they just ignored him. He's mainly doing it to make a point.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nobody seems to know the full story from what we've heard, next time I bump into a couple of guys I know who play there I'll do some digging. One of the guys in the video is the County sec !!
Jon is now a member of Bridgnorth I believe - a place you're familiar with judging by your post history mentioning it.

evemccc

Visit site
Blimey. Life is too short, the pair should just move on. Why on earth would you waste your valuable free time attempting to play golf with all that going on?

A very quick change to the vocabulary here and it would apply equally as well on the LIV thread..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I couldn't be bothered to wade through it.

Care to summarise? Was he not allowed to play in the Seniors? ;)

I'm fairly sure he is in breach of the rules against using an organisation's trading name for his own personal Instagram Account
Basically he was in a committee position back in 2015 but he felt they were discriminating against him because of age - the only evidence he quotes was people calling him 'immature' and things like that though. That other guy was the senior captain though and he's backing him because he agrees there was discrimination.

On the last point - not denying he's being cheeky there, but the name of the account is 'Church Stretton Golf News' so could be seen as golf news from the town of Church Stretton - hence why he's probably got away with it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Basically he was in a committee position back in 2015 but he felt they were discriminating against him because of age - the only evidence he quotes was people calling him 'immature' and things like that though. That other guy was the senior captain though and he's backing him because he agrees there was discrimination.

On the last point - not denying he's being cheeky there, but the name of the account is 'Church Stretton Golf News' so could be seen as golf news from the town of Church Stretton - hence why he's probably got away with it.

Worth noting a lawyer agreed with him and the club settled out of tribunal so prob something there

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Worth noting a lawyer agreed with him and the club settled out of tribunal so prob something there

Really does seem like the club just have no idea what they're doing. If they lost the legal battle they'll lose another if they try to ban him as a result.

Should literally just let the lawyers sort it all out. :ROFLMAO: However, its comedy gold....