Choosing Irons

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
as a former blade user I was used to a thin top line but after my fitting I went for Srixon z585's and although I wasn't keen on the thicker top line they were the best for me.

I love them now

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Some interesting answers on here. Seems the majority place looks and feel (the feel you get when looking and holding them, rather than the feel of the shot) quite high on the list of importance. Makes me feel better about how I choose clubs, so looking forward to my fitting next week.

D

Deleted member 3432

as a former blade user I was used to a thin top line but after my fitting I went for Srixon z585's and although I wasn't keen on the thicker top line they were the best for me.

I love them now

Good enough for the Open Champion to carry the 4 and 5 iron in his bag....

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hence your screen-name! But of course results and data, are outputs, that's only one side of the equation! :)

Can’t argue with that, but my opinion, a totally non scientific one is that looks play a smaller role.

I only have one fitted club, my driver, which I bought because it gave me the best numbers. My irons are very pretty but my confidence comes from the time and effort I put into practice with them.

My putter I bought because it felt the best fit to my game from the ones I tried, again it’s a beautiful club but that doesn’t factor into my confidence in it.

I know a lot of people do get something from the way a club looks, I won’t dispute that, but I don’t and people need to decide if it does or does not before committing to a set of clubs.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
The reason I'd started this thread was that I am sorely tempted by some Titleist irons (I've always hankered after a set), and hit one of the fitting clubs a few days ago on the range. Distance-wise there was no increase on my Cobra F8s (which I wasn't fitted for), but they seemed to have a much tighter dispersion, and to my eye look gorgeous sat behind the ball. I'm assuming the difference is due to the shaft, so I have a full fitting booked next week, and depending on the head that suits me and what deal I can get, I may just pull the trigger. I had an opportunity to get a fitting at another club tomorrow, but they are a lot more expensive for the clubs, so will just have to wait. (I could of course pay the £50 for the fitting and then take the specs to the other club to order, so I get the clubs a week earlier, but that seems a waste of £50)

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Anyone had experience of a fitting by independent fitters, as advertised, as opposed to Pros or one make fitters.?
If so, exactly how detailed is the assessment of your swing. This seems to me the crux of a fitting. A correct assessment of your swing , and having a big enough selection of shafts to make the most of it.?
And when you are swinging their recommended choice, does it feel like it's right( or are you decided by the numbers).
Am I wrong to expect a sort of "that's the one" moment when the right combination is put in my hand?..?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Anyone had experience of a fitting by independent fitters, as advertised, as opposed to Pros or one make fitters.?
If so, exactly how detailed is the assessment of your swing. This seems to me the crux of a fitting. A correct assessment of your swing , and having a big enough selection of shafts to make the most of it.?
And when you are swinging their recommended choice, does it feel like it's right( or are you decided by the numbers).
Am I wrong to expect a sort of "that's the one" moment when the right combination is put in my hand?..?

I got fitted at silvermere purely because I’m left handed and they had pretty much every iron to pick from plus hundreds of different shafts.

After a few shots with my own club the fitter narrowed the shaft and then it was down to me to pick the irons.
After 10 or so shots with each I narrowed it down from 6 to 2.
I went for the ones that weren’t as long but better dispersion and as they were forged cavity backs they felt so much nicer too

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Had my fitting this morning. Opted to go to the Pro at Moortown, as they were a registered Titleist fitter. Tried out the T300s in a variety of shafts, and it seems I'm best suited to the stock one (bonus). Gave a great deal on a set that he had in stock, including upgraded grips (MCC Aligns) for free, so just had to pull the trigger. Picking the up later today. Now just need to sort a game out this weekend :p

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I got fitted at silvermere purely because I’m left handed and they had pretty much every iron to pick from plus hundreds of different shafts.

After a few shots with my own club the fitter narrowed the shaft and then it was down to me to pick the irons.
After 10 or so shots with each I narrowed it down from 6 to 2.
I went for the ones that weren’t as long but better dispersion and as they were forged cavity backs they felt so much nicer too

Always better to have dispersion over distance. One more club isn't going to kill you

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Always better to have dispersion over distance. One more club isn't going to kill you

I give the ball a fair old whack anyway so finding the short stuff has made a massive difference plus the shafts and slightly stronger lofts have increased the distance by 1/1.5 clubs

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Had my fitting today, found out that the lie angle of my existing clubs is massively wrong (which explains the hook/draw I have), thanks AG!

Seems the Taylormade Sim Max OS are the clubs I'll be having, hit them like a dream with great dispersion.
God knows how I'll play tomorrow knowing that my existing clubs are so far out...

Hoganman1

Visit site
I was fitted for a set of irons about five years ago by one of our assistant pros at my club. Step one was he had me play several rounds with a demo set and then we did the fitting. He was a Mizuno guy so he fit me for a set of JPX 850 forged. I played well with them for several years. Then I had some injuries (pinched nerve in my neck and a torn right rotator cuff). As I recovered I convinced myself I needed extreme game improvement clubs. After struggling for awhile I went back to the Mizunos a couple of months ago and my game has improved. Who knows if that will last, but for now I'm more comfortable and confident because how how the JPX 850s look and feel.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Had my fitting today, found out that the lie angle of my existing clubs is massively wrong (which explains the hook/draw I have), thanks AG!

Seems the Taylormade Sim Max OS are the clubs I'll be having, hit them like a dream with great dispersion.
God knows how I'll play tomorrow knowing that my existing clubs are so far out...

Typical, smashed it with my existing clubs...! :rolleyes::unsure:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I wouldn't give it a thought. You've got this far with them, and know the ill fitting ones will soon be a thing of the past.