Chipping?

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
What is your guys view on chipping, I've seen quite a few videos and their saying about keeping the lag and finishing low at the end and I have read Jack Nicklaus's book and he said it's much more wrists.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For me you have two choices

1. use Bob's V Easy tp perfect the chip /putt stroke ( no wrists
2. Paul Wilson style with very strong lead hand grip (turned clockwise ) and shaft lean to front leg

i now use the second method and the strong grip prevents wrist breakdown, play ball off back heel

note strong grip refers to position not strength !

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Some say............
A chip is a shot played from close to the green where the ball is lifted over the fringe and lands on the green. The ball then rolls like a putt so spends most of it's journey on the ground.
As the shot gets longer, then a little wrist hinge is employed and the ball spends longer in the air than a short chip depending on which club is used obviously
So I would say, short chips, no wrists........longer chips/pitches use the wrists

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some say............
A chip is a shot played from close to the green where the ball is lifted over the fringe and lands on the green. The ball then rolls like a putt so spends most of it's journey on the ground.
As the shot gets longer, then a little wrist hinge is employed and the ball spends longer in the air than a short chip depending on which club is used obviously
So I would say, short chips, no wrists........longer chips/pitches use the wrists

I would agree with this and not to massage your ego Bob but by using the v-easy I could see where it went wrong for me on short chips (too much wrist) and where I've nothing to fly over I use this action from off the green with bigger clubs for chip and runs, works great with a 7 iron from up to 40 or so yards out.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would agree with this and not to massage your ego Bob but by using the v-easy I could see where it went wrong for me on short chips (too much wrist) and where I've nothing to fly over I use this action from off the green with bigger clubs for chip and runs, works great with a 7 iron from up to 40 or so yards out.

It's a problem I see quite a lot.
People close to the green try and play a wristy shot and end up decelerating into the ball, duffing it 5 feet in front of them.
If you use the no-wrist method, you can be much more positive with the stroke

drutz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At my last lesson just off the green I was almost using a putting stroke to chip onto the green. The stroke got longer with a little more wrist the further away I got. was a very good lesson.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The thing I see most when I play my course is people trying to "help" the ball over the fringe when chipping, as a result the either lean back and hit it fat/thin or get wristy and slow down and the ball goes nowhere.

I agree with Bob in post #3.

A question for Bob though on this subject. If you want to "pop" the ball up quickly, say to an elevated green from a greenside position, and allow it to run. Is it better to hinge the wrists early the release into impact or play the shot as normal with more loft?

S

Snelly

A question for Bob though on this subject. If you want to "pop" the ball up quickly, say to an elevated green from a greenside position, and allow it to run. Is it better to hinge the wrists early the release into impact or play the shot as normal with more loft?

The latter.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The latter.

Agree, early wrist hinge leaves so much there to go wrong.

Would add though, greenside to an elevated green would normally suggest rough, if so then theres a chance it could be played like a bunker shot however theres lots can go wrong here too.

Personally I try and play the shot that when it goes wrong it gives the best result, eg for me an early hinge when going wrong leads to a thin through the back.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Two things I see with chipping that I consider wrong....

1) Players take the club too far around/behind them, this means they then 'lift' the club and chop down too steep

2) Players try to land the ball too close to the front edge (often fudging their shot) then not even making it onto the green.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
With regards to the V-Easy, this is the definition of K I S S.

To be honest, after about a week of using the aid in my back garden and range, I haven't used it much. After 20 balls it was a case of "really? is it that simple?"

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
With regards to the V-Easy, this is the definition of K I S S.

To be honest, after about a week of using the aid in my back garden and range, I haven't used it much. After 20 balls it was a case of "really? is it that simple?"

Keep it in the bag though. Then it's always there for the quick check-up.
Glad it's helped
Now you know where I got the name from :)

V-Simple didn't really trip off the tongue