Challenging Dress Codes.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think Aussie Rules gear looks really suspect, even when worn for Aussie Rules!!

Anyway... does having "Gear" for Aussie Rules make it stuffy and snobby? If not, why does having "golf gear" make that snobby? (although the sock police needs culling I grant you!) But they are the extreme exception.

Why can't you play Aussie Rules in Cricket kit if you want, or soccer shirts? And who says they all have to wear the same colour on a team? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bleeding snobs! Spoiling my fun!

Dress codes had nothing to do with keeping the peasants out. The subs did that! It was just that the old school folk who could afford the subs, dressed smartly for everything, even swimming!!

Pair of trousers and a polo shirt. Strewth, how draconian! :rolleyes:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree but the point hes making is maintaining high standards leaks over into other areas. Like replacing divots.
Do you really think wearing golf clothes = replacing divots and repairing pitch marks? It really doesn't.

In terms of the original post, it is about equality, treating people the same. Trousers in hot weather are uncomfortable so shorts should be an option. being comfortable means you will learn / work better. It isn't an option for him but a skirt is. Wearing one shows how ridiculous the rule is and he has brought a load of publicity for his case. Good on him. All the school has to do now is amend the dress rules, I agree with schools having a dress code, to allow shorts of a certain type. As for golf clubs :rolleyes:. I'd let people wear what they like. It really doesn't impact anyone elses game and if it does then they need to have a look at themselves.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Aussie Rules gear looks really suspect, even when worn for Aussie Rules!!

Anyway... does having "Gear" for Aussie Rules make it stuffy and snobby? If not, why does having "golf gear" make that snobby? (although the sock police needs culling I grant you!) But they are the extreme exception.

Why can't you play Aussie Rules in Cricket kit if you want, or soccer shirts? And who says they all have to wear the same colour on a team? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bleeding snobs! Spoiling my fun!

Dress codes had nothing to do with keeping the peasants out. The subs did that! It was just that the old school folk who could afford the subs, dressed smartly for everything, even swimming!!

Pair of trousers and a polo shirt. Strewth, how draconian! :rolleyes:
They could if they wanted. They would have to have a uniform colour so each team were identifiable but otherwise it would be fine. It would be a terrible choice though, the kit is how it is so the players can't be grabbed, pulled etc, but I'm sure you knew that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My view on dress codes hasn't really changed. I do think it's outdated draconian rubbish in most cases - with the sock colours, shirts tucked in, no hats in the clubhouse and all that utter hogwash. I don't want to wear jeans on the course because they're not practical. But I don't know why in this day and age you're not able to wear more sports clothing for example, as it is a sport after all. I really don't think someone playing in sports joggers or like a Nike pair of shorts in summer would be the end of the world. And the only difference between a golf shirt and a running shirt these days is the collar, they're both made of light polyester so essentially the same thing. I'm not sure why the collar makes such a world of difference, other than "it was ever thus". Same shirt, stick a collar on it, call it a golf shirt and charge £40 instead of £15.

(All of this has nothing to do with the opening post by the way, it's just the way the conversation went on page 2, haha.)

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Do you really think wearing golf clothes = replacing divots and repairing pitch marks? It really doesn't.

In terms of the original post, it is about equality, treating people the same. Trousers in hot weather are uncomfortable so shorts should be an option. being comfortable means you will learn / work better. It isn't an option for him but a skirt is. Wearing one shows how ridiculous the rule is and he has brought a load of publicity for his case. Good on him. All the school has to do now is amend the dress rules, I agree with schools having a dress code, to allow shorts of a certain type. As for golf clubs :rolleyes:. I'd let people wear what they like. It really doesn't impact anyone elses game and if it does then they need to have a look at themselves.
You are quite right of course, it can't possibly and there is absolutely no way I could even know.

It is generally about standards. Is the sudden massive influx of members and the condition of the course a coincidence, probably not, but I can't prove it. Pace of play slower? Who knows, sometimes it is other times not.

I've never been comfortable with the term "gentlemans game". I've never classed my self as a gentleman but 5 years in the army and 30 years as a firefighter have left a mark on me and left me with certain standards. I tend to dress for the occasion, whatever that occasion may be, which obviously includes my golf. Do I expect others to do the same, certainly not, would I like them to, absolutely.

Many of our new members will lose interest and drift away. Many will stay and slowly they will conform. If they play in comp's they will confirm to the rules. If they don't already do so they will conform to the etiquette of golf, and they will also conform to the clubs dress code.

They might whine about it, but that is generally what people do.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
My view on dress codes hasn't really changed. I do think it's outdated draconian rubbish in most cases - with the sock colours, shirts tucked in, no hats in the clubhouse and all that utter hogwash. I don't want to wear jeans on the course because they're not practical. But I don't know why in this day and age you're not able to wear more sports clothing for example, as it is a sport after all. I really don't think someone playing in sports joggers or like a Nike pair of shorts in summer would be the end of the world. And the only difference between a golf shirt and a running shirt these days is the collar, they're both made of light polyester so essentially the same thing. I'm not sure why the collar makes such a world of difference, other than "it was ever thus". Same shirt, stick a collar on it, call it a golf shirt and charge £40 instead of £15.

(All of this has nothing to do with the opening post by the way, it's just the way the conversation went on page 2, haha.)

I think this is spot on. Golf is a sport that requires and athletic movement. A golf swing is requires quite a few moving parts, why cannot I wear athletic wear. My gym shorts, for instance, come down to just above the knee, so the same as tailored shorts. They would be far more comfortable than chino shorts, and would be less restrictive than tailored shorts.

A lot of the golf polos are no technical polos, and are the same material as a lot of athletic t-shirts, literally the only difference is they have put a collar on, charged twice the price because it is a golf shirt.

With golf dress codes, there seems to be a lot of old fashioned views that you cannot be smart unless you are un chinos/golf trousers or tailored shorts, and a collared shirt. Which may have been the case at one point, but now you can look very smart in athletic wear. The adage of many people wearing paint splatteres holy polo shirts are deemed more acceptable than a pristine clean, and expensive t-shirt.

Especially in summer where you can be on a golf course, walking 5-6 miles in 30+ celcius, surely a better approach is the players comfort first

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are quite right of course, it can't possibly and there is absolutely no way I could even know.

It is generally about standards. Is the sudden massive influx of members and the condition of the course a coincidence, probably not, but I can't prove it. Pace of play slower? Who knows, sometimes it is other times not.

I've never been comfortable with the term "gentlemans game". I've never classed my self as a gentleman but 5 years in the army and 30 years as a firefighter have left a mark on me and left me with certain standards. I tend to dress for the occasion, whatever that occasion may be, which obviously includes my golf. Do I expect others to do the same, certainly not, would I like them to, absolutely.

Many of our new members will lose interest and drift away. Many will stay and slowly they will conform. If they play in comp's they will confirm to the rules. If they don't already do so they will conform to the etiquette of golf, and they will also conform to the clubs dress code.

They might whine about it, but that is generally what people do.
I played with a new member a few weeks ago.
I was amazed to find out he had never played before joining.
Second hole he took a divot like a 12oz steak put his club back and walked away .
I stopped him and asked “ are you going to put that back” ?
“Why “he asked.
So I spent 18 holes showing him what to do and where to stand , leave his bag etc.
He didn’t know because nobody had showed him !
Learning the game is more than just hitting the ball.
He thanked me and bought me a drink for showing him the ropes so at least he wanted to learn.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played with a new member a few weeks ago.
I was amazed to find out he had never played before joining.
Second hole he took a divot like a 12oz steak put his club back and walked away .
I stopped him and asked “ are you going to put that back” ?
“Why “he asked.
So I spent 18 holes showing him what to do and where to stand , leave his bag etc.
He didn’t know because nobody had showed him !
Learning the game is more than just hitting the ball.
He thanked me and bought me a drink for showing him the ropes so at least he wanted to learn.
You're right - I learned that sort of thing from starting with my dad, and he learnt it from my uncle. But a lot of people watch golf on TV and then take it up, and on TV you don't see any of that stuff. It has nothing to do with dress code though. Just because you dress correctly you wouldn't know all of that stuff automatically. As you say, you just need to be shown.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a debate on the clubs putting green with a member who was also on the board. I was practicing my putting and intended on being there for some time. So I decided to swap my golf shoes for flat soled trainers.
I was inevitably challenged on my footwear. I was trying to explain that I swapped my shoes to care for the surface and he was having non of it. So I put my spikes back on and trashed the green ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're right - I learned that sort of thing from starting with my dad, and he learnt it from my uncle. But a lot of people watch golf on TV and then take it up, and on TV you don't see any of that stuff. It has nothing to do with dress code though. Just because you dress correctly you wouldn't know all of that stuff automatically. As you say, you just need to be shown.

If it’s good enough for Tiger and Rory to have no collar it should be ok for us mere mortals.
Most courses are pretty lenient nowadays and as long as your wearing trousers and polo your fine.
Even trainers are allowed at ours now, as most golf shoes look the same.

Maybe Sky should tell commentators to reference why players fix pitch marks/ divots etc .
Actually show it in coverage instead of endless minutes of a waterfall or something else.
Get Radar and Beemer to show us how to do it .
Most of us have been lucky enough to have people to show us but to many havnt judging by the pitch marks left on greens.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a debate on the clubs putting green with a member who was also on the board. I was practicing my putting and intended on being there for some time. So I decided to swap my golf shoes for flat soled trainers.
I was inevitably challenged on my footwear. I was trying to explain that I swapped my shoes to care for the surface and he was having non of it. So I put my spikes back on and trashed the green ?
That's silly really. Most summer shoes are almost the same as trainers nowadays. Just a slightly thicker tread on them is all.

D-S

Visit site
I am always amused by the 'standards and traditions of the game' argument in favour of outdated dress codes. Conveniently it is just the standards and traditions of the game according to those making this argument and not on the traditions and standards of this who went before them. Those who pontificate about 'standards and traditions of the game' in regard to dress code should be made to wear tweed jackets and ties whilst on the course maybe plus fours on hot days or if in the colonies long shorts with long socks - otherwise they are not holding up the standards and traditions of the game, just those that were relaxed before they took it up.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's silly really. Most summer shoes are almost the same as trainers nowadays. Just a slightly thicker tread on them is all.

I agree, and spikeless shoes are pretty much bog standard astroturf trainers but at twice they price because, you know, golf shoes have technology that no other athletic footwear has.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I am always amused by the 'standards and traditions of the game' argument in favour of outdated dress codes. Conveniently it is just the standards and traditions of the game according to those making this argument and not on the traditions and standards of this who went before them.

Those same people are usually found with a new top of the range, remote controlled trolley and a bag full of clubs made from exotic alloys and carbon fibre composites. ?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What's more amusing is the states of some people that turn up to the course - overweight John Daly look a likes with beer guts and tight clothing or like they're auditioning for Krusty the clown: the live series :ROFLMAO: Yet golf seems to still lose their :poop: when someone doesn't wear a collar!

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I'm thinking about wearing a skirt and sleeveless top for my game tomorrow. I'll be playing with this year's captain. Just thinking about it, that's all.
I have felt quite inspired by what I've reading here. I have decided against the skirt for tomorrow. But as this is about "challenging" dress codes I will be wearing the conforming floral shorts (M&S men's department, honest) as the Fred Perry ones are a work of the devil with no button-up fastening and no belt loops. Aren't I a right contrary nuisance?

shorts.JPG

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Years ago now but my mate in our works golf society was asked to leave the clubhouse.
He was wearing a sleeveless top.
Irony was the woman who asked him to leave was also wearing one.
She just couldn’t see the problem.
We never went back there.
Equality my ……..

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you look at the caddies on the PGA Tour they all wear trainers.
On the green golf shoes are not nessesary.
It’s a grip thing needed for stability in the swing.
On our practice ground and putting green trainers are encouraged as they don’t damage the grass.
That’s a stupid rule imo of course.