Celebs who’ve passed

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So sorry to read that Derek Underwood has passed away. Great bowler and referred to as "deadly" no pun intended.

RIP and thoughts are with his family
Didn't see that. Very good bowler in his time. 297 test wickets at 25.83 and apparently (well I didn't know) ranked #1 bowler in the world according to the retrospective ICC rankings (whatever they are) from September 69 until August 73

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Watched him bowl many an over on the TV in those far off days when the BBC showed every ball of every Test. The greatest English slow bowler of them all. And reputedly a thoroughly decent man.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Met him more than once when, as a lad, I used to be a member of my local county and an avid autograph hunter. Remember him as a fella who always made time for the kids, unlike some of his peers.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Derek Randall is a member at our place, I am going to ask him if he has one or two stories to tell about Derek Underwood.

RIP Mr Underwood.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ahhh…🙁 Just spotted that Mike Pinder (Moody Blues) passed 5days ago. His mellotron playing came to define the sound of the band, and was key to some early Genesis. His mellotron in Nights in White Satin makes one of the iconic pop songs of mid-late 60s music.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The passing of the Readers Digest UK printed edition I feel can't go unmentioned…so I mention it here as it is the little magazine that, for us of a certain vintage, seemed to be almost everywhere we went and was so very well known it was like a celeb in a way. I’d pick it up if hanging around to flick through, and occasionally something would grab my attention and would engage me for 5-10 mins.

Now it will be no more - a sign of the times and the passage of time - like the passing of those celebs we have known and who have made an impression (some significant, some less so) through our lives.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
I noticed that C J Sansom the novelist, known for his Shardlake series died this week. His first Shardlake TV adaptation is due to air this week.

Really enjoyed this series.

Red devil

Visit site
The passing of the Readers Digest UK printed edition I feel can't go unmentioned…so I mention it here as it is the little magazine that, for us of a certain vintage, seemed to be almost everywhere we went and was so very well known it was like a celeb in a way. I’d pick it up if hanging around to flick through, and occasionally something would grab my attention and would engage me for 5-10 mins.

Now it will be no more - a sign of the times and the passage of time - like the passing of those celebs we have known and who have made an impression (some significant, some less so) through our lives.
RIP, a seemingly permanent resident of doctor's and dentist waiting rooms from back in the day.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Peter Oosterhuis has sadly gone. 20 titles, played in 6 Ryder cups, won the Vardon Trophy 4 times, and won the European Tour's Order of Merit in each of its first three years. And D&SH's finest golfer. And a good egg all round. RIP .
(Ps. Oops - Homer beat me to it).

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Grizzly

Visit site
Not sure if this belongs here or in the cricket thread, but Worcestershire bowler Josh Baker has passed away. Only 20, he was a promising young spinner.