Celebs who’ve passed

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Peter Higgs.
More important than any mere celebrity.
Why is he so important? I get he was a great scientist, but what difference did he make to ordinary people's lives? (That's a genuine question btw, I'm looking to be educated here, not to start an argument.)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Why is he so important? I get he was a great scientist, but what difference did he make to ordinary people's lives? (That's a genuine question btw, I'm looking to be educated here, not to start an argument.)
I guess it depends on whether you feel that ordinary people's lives are impacted more by advances in science or being entertained.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess it depends on whether you feel that ordinary people's lives are impacted more by advances in science or being entertained.
I think the question is how have lives been advanced by his discovery? The scientific community get very excited by certain things but to non scientists we are left scratching our heads about them. It's theoretical physics but does it actually make a difference to the rest of us?

I'm in the same boat, I don't understand so this is a good chance to ask that question and hopefully for us non scientists to learn something.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the question is how have lives been advanced by his discovery? The scientific community get very excited by certain things but to non scientists we are left scratching our heads about them. It's theoretical physics but does it actually make a difference to the rest of us?

I'm in the same boat, I don't understand so this is a good chance to ask that question and hopefully for us non scientists to learn something.
All useful technological advances are based on previous abstract scientific research.
One obvious example that springs to mind is that without General Relativity, GPS wouldn't work. Decades elapsed between the theory and that particular application.
At this stage, while there is no obvious practical application based on our understanding of the Higgs Field, we have no idea what it might possibly yield in the future.

I acknowledge that this thread is "CELEBS who've passed", so perhaps it wasn't appropriate to add Peter Higgs.
I do think it is worth noting his passing, though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the heading 'celebs' could possibly be altered to 'Notable People' or Famous People' etc but that is down to the originator. His passing is certainly one to be mentioned, no question.

YandaB

Visit site
Well it's not directly linked, but the Large Hadron Collider is at CERN and has been used to ratify some of his theories The thing that came out of CERN that does impact everyones lives and makes this forum possible is the World Wide Web. There are also a bunch of other technologies that are now applied elsewhere that have been created whilst looking for the "god particle": https://home.cern/about/what-we-do/our-impact.

Swango1980

Visit site
Well it's not directly linked, but the Large Hadron Collider is at CERN and has been used to ratify some of his theories The thing that came out of CERN that does impact everyones lives and makes this forum possible is the World Wide Web. There are also a bunch of other technologies that are now applied elsewhere that have been created whilst looking for the "god particle": https://home.cern/about/what-we-do/our-impact.
I'm yet to determine whether the World Wide Web is a force of good or evil for human civilization.