Caught cheating...allegedly.

User20204

Visit site
So tonight I was told that one, possibly two players may have been caught Buster Keating, don't know the exact details but marking their own cards and possibly a bit of shenanigans when ball is in the rough. Apparently this has been reported to the committee but is only from the word of a much respected member, so how can a club deal with it and if it can't be proven, how does said individual(s) clear their name(s) ?

Horrible dilemma as this is a stigma that lasts a lifetime.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps its just me, but I cant help but feel this might be a subject discussed after everything has been done and dusted.
Innocent until proven guilty, and relying on gossip and hearsay and all that......

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Which is why there needs to be some real proof otherwise the mud will stick when, possibly, it shouldn't
People can't simply make these kind of accusations, in any walk of life, without enough evidence to back them up.
If the matter is investigated by the committee and things seem to be in order, can the individuals sue the "respected member" for defamation..?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm inclined to think that gossiping about it, which someone appears to have done with you is dangerous. Defamation of character/slander. My stock answer is let the committee deal with it, and stay away from gossiping about it. All you need to happen is for one of the alleged to hear that A has told B, who has then told you and you told and you've got the potential to receive something from a solicitor. How can you defend an accusation of slander? The guy may be in the wrong but its up to you to prove you haven't defamed him.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Perhaps more because golf wasn't my main starting "sport" but i would happily call out cheating to the officials with little more than good suspicion, i've seen cheating on the course a couple of times but generally think it gets to slip by.

If you think you've seen something, there doesn't need to be any real evidence to back it up, nothing wrong it calling the matter to attention to be checked out properly.

User20204

Visit site
I'm inclined to think that gossiping about it, which someone appears to have done with you is dangerous..

Are you new to golf clubs ? I'd bet that a considerable number of the club have already heard about it, though I agree with staying away from it, albeit, it's already been shared with me but the very fact it has tells me I'm not the only one who knows and I haven't played for three weeks.

On the accusation point, surely you would only report it if you had concrete evidence ?? Jeez I've seen my PP incorrectly mark his ball on the green a couple of times, would I report him to the committee, no chance, but I have raised it with him.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you new to golf clubs ? I'd bet that a considerable number of the club have already heard about it, though I agree with staying away from it, albeit, it's already been shared with me but the very fact it has tells me I'm not the only one who knows and I haven't played for three weeks.
Surely though some discretion would have been the order of the day, instead of posting it on a public forum?

User20204

Visit site
Surely though some discretion would have been the order of the day, instead of posting it on a public forum?

Possibly, but I've neither mentioned the club or the individuals concerned so it's not like I'm slandering anyone and I was merely making it a point of discussion, if you didn't think it merited so, why reply ? I'm absolutely fine if the topic is locked and no more is said.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Been a topic that has been discussed in great detail of late. It was only a matter of time before someone was fingered.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Accusations without proof can be very acrimonious in a club. In the case of the OP I would suggest the "well respected" member and the committee need to tread carefully and be 100% certain and be able to prove their case. I;'m not talking slander, solictors etc as has been mentioned but it will get out in the club and those accused will find life uncomfy as people will be quick to form an opinion whether its founded or not.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
You do have to be careful.
A couple of years ago a guy was caught cheating at my old club, he admitted it as well but never returned the swindle money he won. :mad::mad:
Anyway, a week or so later I was at a customers house and upon seeing some clubs in the hallway the topic quickly turned to golf.
Once he knew which club I was at his first comment was along the lines of: 'Didn't you have a guy cheating there not long ago using a leather wedge?'

Bad news and gossip travels very fast.