Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really struggling with this at the moment.
Havnt had a decent sleep for weeks.
Had a release done on my left wrist couple of years ago , but have it in my right wrist now.
It’s very painful at night in bed.
I have tried everything I know to avoid surgery again. As it weakens your wrist and thumb.
Anyone have an “ alternative remedy “ out of the normal as they are not working.
Golf is the only real RSI risk as I am not working anymore, and while playing it’s not a problem but does seem to make nighttime worse.
I may have to stop playing for a bit .
Any advice will be appreciated thanks.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Really struggling with this at the moment.
Havnt had a decent sleep for weeks.
Had a release done on my left wrist couple of years ago , but have it in my right wrist now.
It’s very painful at night in bed.
I have tried everything I know to avoid surgery again. As it weakens your wrist and thumb.
Anyone have an “ alternative remedy “ out of the normal as they are not working.
Golf is the only real RSI risk as I am not working anymore, and while playing it’s not a problem but does seem to make nighttime worse.
I may have to stop playing for a bit .
Any advice will be appreciated thanks.
I had it in my left wrist and had to wear a splint...no golf for months...

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I have cubital tunnel syndrome - caused by a life time of leaning on my elbows at my desk. It’s a real pain to remember to keep my arms flat at work! I only really suffer from it at night but I wake up with a dead left hand far too often. It soon comes back to life when I straight my arm but it’s at the stage where I’m probably going to need to get a splint on it at night to stop me bending my elbow when I sleep. Very frustrating.

I’m afraid there is no easy or alternative remedy - you just need to find ways to stop yourself making the movements that irritate the nerve but if it’s as bad as you say I’m afraid you’re probably too far gone and it’ll be surgery on the other one soon. And that doesn’t always fix it, such is the long term damage nerves tend to suffer. :(

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have cubital tunnel syndrome - caused by a life time of leaning on my elbows at my desk. It’s a real pain to remember to keep my arms flat at work! I only really suffer from it at night but I wake up with a dead left hand far too often. It soon comes back to life when I straight my arm but it’s at the stage where I’m probably going to need to get a splint on it at night to stop me bending my elbow when I sleep. Very frustrating.

I’m afraid there is no easy or alternative remedy - you just need to find ways to stop yourself making the movements that irritate the nerve but if it’s as bad as you say I’m afraid you’re probably too far gone and it’ll be surgery on the other one soon. And that doesn’t always fix it, such is the long term damage nerves tend to suffer. :(
First surgery was very successful.
This other one has come on much quicker so am hoping it’s a injury thing I havnt noticed .
But I just can’t get to sleep and that is causing me problems.
Getting to see a doctor has been a pain but I am hoping it settles.
Cheers.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Getting to see a doctor has been a pain...
How appropriate! :rolleyes:
Have you worked out what the root cause is? Keyboard use? Someone I know acquired it because of the amount of texting/entry the did on a quite small (dumb) phone. Upgraded to Smartphone (with larger keyboard) and problem improved/went away quite quickly.
A work colleague supposedly has it, but, as she is a bit of a hypochondriac/attention-seeker/general moaner, could well be 'putting it on'!
Certainly a painful and debilitating condition if unresolved! Can't be helping the Golf either (hope Golf - too stiff shafts? - is not the cause!).

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably don't want to hear this... But, the only thing that worked for me was retirement and stopping doing what was the root cause of the problem [for me]… Was offered having an op a few times but always turned it down...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How appropriate! :rolleyes:
Have you worked out what the root cause is? Keyboard use? Someone I know acquired it because of the amount of texting/entry the did on a quite small (dumb) phone. Upgraded to Smartphone (with larger keyboard) and problem improved/went away quite quickly.
A work colleague supposedly has it, but, as she is a bit of a hypochondriac/attention-seeker/general moaner, could well be 'putting it on'!
Certainly a painful and debilitating condition if unresolved! Can't be helping the Golf either (hope Golf - too stiff shafts? - is not the cause!).
Think it was my job years ago.
I was a servicer for a big section of very heavy machinery.
Lots off hammering and pulling ropes etc.
It’s just come on me so quick, so am hoping it’s just a flare up and might subside with rest.
So no golf :eek:.
Was fitted at Ping in May so think the clubs are ok.
Best description I heard was .
It’s like an engine when you turn it off all the oil flows to the sump.
Your body pumps fluid around all day but when you sleep it gets into the carpal tunnel and puts pressure on the nerve.
It’s very painful at night.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably don't want to hear this... But, the only thing that worked for me was retirement and stopping doing what was the root cause of the problem [for me]… Was offered having an op a few times but always turned it down...
Retired 7 years ago.
But a physical job catches up with you .

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have one for my left hand but bought one for my right today.
Was hoping it would go away but it’s looking like it’s here for a while.
Have everything crossed atm.

They really help mine as I sleep with my wrist really bent over and tucked under my chin so the ones with the metal rod preventing that alleviate it a lot. In fact I wear it overnight for a week or so then don't need it for a while. I don't suffer during the day but at night, without regular splint wearing, the pain is horrendous - makes me whimper...nerve pain is the worse.