Training Aid for Chicken-wing - Golf impact ball

evemccc

Visit site
Hi,

I’m working with my pro to improve my swing on full-swing shots, specifically, keeping the arms closer together and my left (lead) arm touching my chest on follow through, in order to stop the dreaded chicken-wing

Lots of people such as Michael Newton have posted videos on YouTube featuring such a training aid, and I believe that they’re fairly common for golfers looking to remedy their chicken wing and improve ball-striking

Has anyone used one, and what are your thoughts on them?

I have seen Tour Strike and the Golf Impact Ball listed on Amazon at about £40+…I’ve also seen some on Amazon that are inflatable…for about £9

Assuming the diameter was the same size once inflated, would these do as well?
Any cheap and good brands to recommend please?

I’ve also seen a training aid for about £12 on Amazon that aims to improve wrist-hinge….it is a plastic device you attach to the club to your wrist to keep it at a certain angle. I can definitely see the logic but then I think, is this actually a good aid or is it snake oil?

Are there any other training aids people have used and would recommend for such a problem (inconsistent ball-striking) would be appreciated
Thanks

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi,

I’m working with my pro to improve my swing on full-swing shots, specifically, keeping the arms closer together and my left (lead) arm touching my chest on follow through, in order to stop the dreaded chicken-wing

Lots of people such as Michael Newton have posted videos on YouTube featuring such a training aid, and I believe that they’re fairly common for golfers looking to remedy their chicken wing and improve ball-striking

Has anyone used one, and what are your thoughts on them?

I have seen Tour Strike and the Golf Impact Ball listed on Amazon at about £40+…I’ve also seen some on Amazon that are inflatable…for about £9

Assuming the diameter was the same size once inflated, would these do as well?
Any cheap and good brands to recommend please?

I’ve also seen a training aid for about £12 on Amazon that aims to improve wrist-hinge….it is a plastic device you attach to the club to your wrist to keep it at a certain angle. I can definitely see the logic but then I think, is this actually a good aid or is it snake oil?

Are there any other training aids people have used and would recommend for such a problem (inconsistent ball-striking) would be appreciated
Thanks
I certainly used a couple of such aids at an early stage of learning my golf swing. Hockey (particularly), Tennis, Squash, Cricket and Softball dominated my 'swing' style early on, and probably still show a little. The aids seemed to work well. Worthwhile to ask your Pro if one is even needed. Here's a vid that shows a drill that only needs an 'aid' that should be available at the range.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
@HomerJSimpson @spongebob59

Thanks for your replies

Just found out the device I was on about is called ‘Swingyde’ - have you ever seen or used it? Is it the same thing as the products you’ve already recommended?

Cheers
That's its name! So long ago, I'd forgotten. Mine was a (green coloured) 'copy' that worked similarly - and cost a lot less. The original was apparently invented by Wade Ormsby's father.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some people need to chicken wing so they don't hit the club into the ground behind the ball. The chicken wing saves the shot, similar to early extending.

I would suggest that if you are doing it then work out why you need to do it and fix that.

Maxxx17

Visit site
I watched similar videos on YouTube during my training. Some were really helpful and some I watched for nothing. As for the Swingyde training tool, I personally have not used it, but many say that it helps. Right now I'm looking for the best golf ball for straight flight that my coach told me about. I feel like I have a long way to go to practice.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I watched similar videos on YouTube during my training. Some were really helpful and some I watched for nothing. As for the Swingyde training tool, I personally have not used it, but many say that it helps. Right now I'm looking for the best golf ball for straight flight that my coach told me about. I feel like I have a long way to go to practice.

I gave mine to Evemccc so hopefully he's found it useful