Cardinal Sin - green side bunker chunk!

Scholesy

Visit site
Great drive, fairway. 2nd shot short of the green, out of position with a green side bunker to chip over. Sh*t to the back, can’t go long. Normally got a good mental game but this always does me. So scared I’ll thin it out of play, so I chunk to the bunker! Just needs a simple chip, for a put for par, i’ll even take the 2 put for a 5.
So....any tips?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Worried about the bunker? Happy to take a chip and two putts? Well don't even attempt to chip over the bunker. If you can get it onto the green anywhere by chipping avoiding the bunker then great. If not - then no big deal - just chip to edge of green that leaves you with the easiest up and down (two putts or a chip and putt). Then get to practice ground and practice chipping over bunkers.

D

Deleted member 25172

I thought my chip into the ditch on the first at cinque ports was a perfectly executed shot

As well executed as your drive to the practice putting green? Also on the first, if I recall it correctly. That I duffed my own tee shot and ended up in the left mega rough approximately 25-30 yards from tee has no relevance...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Great drive, fairway. 2nd shot short of the green, out of position with a green side bunker to chip over. Sh*t to the back, can’t go long. Normally got a good mental game but this always does me. So scared I’ll thin it out of play, so I chunk to the bunker! Just needs a simple chip, for a put for par, i’ll even take the 2 put for a 5.
So....any tips?

Sensible answer for once, concentrate on where you want the ball to land and only that. The bunker doesn't exist just as the water doesn't exist when you've to clear a lake, the only thing that exists is the green landing spot and then hit confidently

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As well executed as your drive to the practice putting green? Also on the first, if I recall it correctly. That I duffed my own tee shot and ended up in the left mega rough approximately 25-30 yards from tee has no relevance...

That first tee shot wasn’t a patch on the one that hit the 18th green... from the 2nd tee!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sensible answer for once, concentrate on where you want the ball to land and only that. The bunker doesn't exist just as the water doesn't exist when you've to clear a lake, the only thing that exists is the green landing spot and then hit confidently

Surprised you don’t advise him to buy new clubs

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Aim for the widest part of the green . That aside, if you know it's your weakest part of your game, practice,practise practise choose chip shots with a pitching wedge or a club that will give you the least chance of knobbing it.

D

Deleted member 1147

Either learn to ignore the fact of the bunker being there.
Or, embrace it, and see it as a challenge to pull off the wonder shot - sometimes I even nominate the shot I'm about to hit, to put extra pressure on

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
sometimes I even nominate the shot I'm about to hit, to put extra pressure on
it's a good way of making sure you have a clear picture of the shot you're playing.

I'd hazard a guess that self doubt may be the cause of the problems in the OP (may also be technical but mot necessarily)

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
All about being positive isn't it? A positive mindset, and a positive stroke. Far more shots are left short than go long. Sometimes easier to say than do though lol.