cant understand why i hit a blade better than my own cavity backed irons

Richie13

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
why i hit a playing partners mizzy blades better than my own cavity backed irons

he was using mp 69's mine are nike vr full cavity

long par 3 i usually hit my hybrid, instead i hit his tiny thin 4iron, and lovely strait penetrating flight and made the green,

another long par 3 i again hit the 4iron just short of the green, my 4iron i didnt get any distance and pulled left

18th par 4 2nd shot i hit his 9iron and put it just off the green about 15ft from the pin, i the same shot with my irons and pulled it 30yards left

my irons in comparison are massive, thick and bulky,

his irons where tiny thin, very nice to look at i didnt think id have a hope in hell in hitting them, let along hitting them well and better than i hit mine

i was considering selling my irons and opting for a larger cavity backed set of irons now this has me thinking about blades

now was i just lucky to hit a better few shots? i dont know im confused as hell now lol

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
he was using mp 69's mine are nike vr full cavity

Probably this :rofl:...

In all seriousness, sometimes you just hit one club better than the other, there is not scientific explanation.
Maybe your set-up, swing and all the other little idiosyncrasies that you have are more suited to a thinner head type. I would probably try playing more with them though to see if it is the case or maybe just a couple of good 'uns.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Richie, been through similar, my clubs before the nike VR's were less forgiving yet I hit them decent, went to the VR's thinking it would help even more... nah. went to G10's and still not as good as my titleists but I am persevering.

As said by Greig, maybe see if you can have a hit with them again or goto a range and try some thinner irons see how they go

A

Alex1975

I was once long ago told that the best club for you is the one you look down on and think "This is beautiful and I can hit it". You know golf is 10% mental and 90% mental. In the long run if you are a genuine 28 handicapper blades may not be the best choice but then again... who knows.

The other thing is Ethan always says any head with the correct shaft, it may be that he uses the shafts that fit you right.

I used to use an MP 58 for practice but I had to stop as it made my pretty thin but not as thin MP 53 feel cumbersome.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I swing my mates blades 6mph faster then my old cavity clubs. I'd take a couple to the range as advised above, you probably just found your timing.... don't worry..... it'll be gone again next time :D:thup:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
unless they were the same make/model in stiff I wouldnt read anything into it as after too many ebay perusals and shaft checks via google one makes reg is anothers stiff and anything inbetween.

D

Deleted Member 1156

As alex says, it is most likely to be down to the shafts. Those in your mate's clubs may be better suited to your particular swing characteristics. There is a whole lot more to it than just swing speed. Tempo, how you load the shaft, transition from backswing to downswing...these all influence which shaft you need. Most clubheads weigh pretty much the same to within a few grammes but how that weight is distributed will also have an effect on the shape of the shot which will also affect the distance you achieve.

Sounds to me as if your clubs may not be best suited to you, might be worth popping along to see a decent clubfitter and get checked out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You simply swung within yourself and hit it with no expectation. Wouldn't read anything into it at all. If you took them to a range or out for a full 18 holes and played well then I'd agree it has to have something to do with the shaft suiting better, but a couple of whacks doesn't prove anything

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You simply swung within yourself and hit it with no expectation. Wouldn't read anything into it at all. If you took them to a range or out for a full 18 holes and played well then I'd agree it has to have something to do with the shaft suiting better, but a couple of whacks doesn't prove anything

This. If you have no expectation of doing something well, odds are, you'll end up with a decent result. If you expect yourself to do well, you become concious in your mind, and things start to go wrong.