Can you practice in an adjacent bunker to your ball ?

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I have scanned through this thread but couldn’t find a definite answer.

My PP took a practice swing (apparently) next to his ball and a plume of sand appeared which I called out as a penalty. I personally just think he missed his ball.

He is saying he is allowed practice swings in the bunker.

Penalty or not?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

My PP took a practice swing (apparently) next to his ball and a plume of sand appeared which I called out as a penalty. I personally just think he missed his ball.

Penalty or not?
Definitely not allowed a practice swing if it touches the sand.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You are allowed to take practice swings but the issue is touching the sand. The practice swing cannot touch the sand - See rule 12.2b which specifically mentions the practice swing

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Penalty or not?
Did you miss posts #2 and #3?

Swango1980

Visit site

Penalty or not?
Section from Rule 12.2b (I just copied the relevant bits):

a player must not:

Touch sand in the bunker with a club:
  • In making a practice swing, or
  • In making the backswing for a stroke

So, they get the General Penalty in doing so

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
They both highlight that you cannot touch the sand with your club while making a practice swing in a bunker that your ball is in :unsure:
Post #2 says "The restrictions to touching sand in a bunker set out in Rule 12 apply only to a bunker your ball is in."
Post #3 says "the current Rules only prohibit touching the sand with a practice swing in the same bunker the ball is in.

The use of only tells us it doesn't apply in a different bunker.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
They both highlight that you cannot touch the sand with your club while making a practice swing in a bunker that your ball is in :unsure:
I kind of get why hitting the sand with a practice swing is not allowed - to stop loads of sand being chucked onto the green - but I don't get why you are not allowed to touch the sand at all, even if it's just to get it straight in your head where you are going to hit the sand before the ball.

Swango1980

Visit site
I kind of get why hitting the sand with a practice swing is not allowed - to stop loads of sand being chucked onto the green - but I don't get why you are not allowed to touch the sand at all, even if it's just to get it straight in your head where you are going to hit the sand before the ball.
Because touching the sand in this way could lead to some asking questions whether the player improved their lie? Sand will not spring back to its original position like grass when lightly touched.

hambugerpete

Visit site
Because some will cheat and improve their lie.