Can you practice in an adjacent bunker to your ball ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always thought you weren't allowed to practice on the course on the day of a stroke play comp, except for chipping and putting on the green you have just played.
Maybe just a club or comp conditions rule.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I always thought you weren't allowed to practice on the course on the day of a stroke play comp, except for chipping and putting on the green you have just played.

I know its a breach to practice shots before your strokeplay comp round and a breach to practice shots from a bunker after completing a hole

But I read the OP scenario as a practice 'swing' after a round has started and before the hole is complete i.e much the same as any (most) players taking a practice swing (no ball) before hitting an approach shot/putt, pitch or chip, it just happens to be in a handy adjacent bunker

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
That leads me to ask why the rule was ever changed in the first place?

Most people understood the old rule and happily got on with it, neither you nor I have ever seen anyone do it since it was introduced, it's just created another area of discord in golfers' minds.

Some recent changes to the rules have seemed to me like tinkering with them for the sake of it rather than anything useful.

Just guessing but maybe when they changed the rule to say you could take practice swings (even touching the ground) in staked penalty areas, they could hardly keep a rule denying the same practice swing in a non staked area of the course i.e changed just for consistency

D-S

Visit site
Surely the definition of practice must include actually hitting a ball. In this scenario it is just a practice swing.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Choose one that's not on your line of play.
Have you ever played the last hole at West Lothian GC.
We watched a guy play from the front left-hand greenside bunker, his ball ricocheted off the wall behind the green into the front right-hand greenside bunker, much to everyone's amusement, except his lol

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The answer is a simple yes.
But being a recent change, and going somewhat against the accepted philosophy of a century re touching hazards, has prompted some surprise.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The answer is a simple yes.
But being a recent change, and going somewhat against the accepted philosophy of a century re touching hazards, has prompted some surprise.
The same now applies to penalty areas. Touching sand in a different bunker brings it all into line. The exception for touching the sand in the same bunker is because there is an opportunity to test the surface. Which in a bunker is likely to be more consistent than a PA.l