Can a player be DQ for smoking.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watching the Olympics and they said one of the women could be DQ for smoking on the course.
Is this correct?
What rule would she be DQ under?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd hazard a guess it would have to be for a serious breach of the Conditions of Competition

edit: i'd read that all Olympic venues are strictly non-smoking

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hull knew about the rule and didn't smoke. She said her poor score was nothing to do with not smoking but down to an earlier injury.

salfordlad

Visit site
As Colin notes, the published golf rules do not penalize smoking on the course. But 2019 Rules changes heralded the capacity for a Committee to introduce such a rule (smoking during a round = DQ) by creating a Code of Conduct containing such a rule and posting it under the authority of Rule 1.2b as a Local Rule. I am not aware of whether any Committee/Club has done this. Interestingly, some Committee/Clubs have put significant restrictions/penalties on use of mobile phones during a round, arguably a much more benign process that doesn't physically risk the health of the protagonist and anyone else exposed.

Swango1980

Visit site
As Colin notes, the published golf rules do not penalize smoking on the course. But 2019 Rules changes heralded the capacity for a Committee to introduce such a rule (smoking during a round = DQ) by creating a Code of Conduct containing such a rule and posting it under the authority of Rule 1.2b as a Local Rule. I am not aware of whether any Committee/Club has done this. Interestingly, some Committee/Clubs have put significant restrictions/penalties on use of mobile phones during a round, arguably a much more benign process that doesn't physically risk the health of the protagonist and anyone else exposed.
Our Committee temporarily banned smoking on the golf course in July 2022, due to drought conditions. Although not sure what the penalty was for anyone caught smoking in fairness.

In the County league, mobile phones are forbidden in matches. If anybody is found using one, their match is forfeited to the opposition.

salfordlad

Visit site
The French have imposed quite a few of their laws/rules on the Olympics - working hours for presenters and no hijabs are just two that I can think of.
The one that entertained me the most was the edict that 60 per cent of meals in the athlete village were required to be vegan.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd love to see smoking banned on all golf courses. So, I'd be happy if DQ was the decision.
I agree but I thought a DQ had to be under a rule of golf.
This dosnt exist in the rules or does it.?

COC would be from the start not halfway through.!
Unusual situation I’m suprized her pps havnt said anything.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree, a smoking ban would be a good thing if the course is dry and a fire risk but you can't ban it just because you don't like it. What next, banning alcohol, fatty foods, ugly people, women? ;):whistle: JK