Can a player be DQ for smoking.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If 'they' have the authority to ban smoking (or whatever else 'they' don't like) 'they' can do so for whatever reason 'they' want.
I don't know why you've got such a problem with the word 'they' where you felt it necessary to highlight it 4 times.
The people who make and enforce the rules at golf clubs so the committee I'd imagine.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know why you've got such a problem with the word 'they' where you felt it necessary to highlight it 4 times.
The people who make and enforce the rules at golf clubs so the committee I'd imagine.
'They' is not limited to a golf club committee. It could embrace any organisation (eg land owners) which controls the use and/or access to the property. In this case I assume the IOC.

Swango1980

Visit site
Never smoked in my life, and hated smoking indoors. Grew up in a household where my mum smoked, and started going to pubs when smoking was still allowed for a few years. Horrible.

But, must admit, people smoking on the golf course has never bothered me at all. Seems to me that if people are going to smoke outdoors, a golf course is the best spot. Not even all hanging out in a designated smoking area, but spread out over a large amount of land. And probably only a small handful of all golfers on the course actually smoking

I get it though in dry spells if there is a fire risk.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
'They' is not limited to a golf club committee. It could embrace any organisation (eg land owners) which controls the use and/or access to the property. In this case I assume the IOC.
I already stated in post no. 43 I was talking about golf clubs.
Once more....
If a GOLF CLUB COMMITTEE ban smoking on the course, not because of a fire risk but because of the risk of second hand smoke inhalation by others/non smokers, would the ban still apply to a 2-ball who both smoke?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just curious, is it a local rule though?
If that were the case wouldn't that mean a spectator could walk the course smoking away watching a 4-ball, while the players couldn't smoke

A smoking ban put in place due to possible fire risk is a ban for the entire course, not just for those playing a round of golf
Good point - it is announced using the LR noticeboard at the club in the same way winter rules are posted. I assumed it was a LR but maybe not.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Once more....
If a GOLF CLUB COMMITTEE ban smoking on the course, not because of a fire risk but because of the risk of second hand smoke inhalation by others/non smokers, would the ban still apply to a 2-ball who both smoke?

It surely would apply to anyone who smokes regardless of the size of the group

If smoking is banned from the course for any reason then all comply

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Once more....
Yes. It applies to any organisation which controls the use of and/or access to the property.
If it only applied to competitions, the Competition Committee could make a COC. Otherwise the general committee could make it a blanket ban.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Once more....
Yes, if it is banned it is banned, it really is not too difficult to understand.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It depends on why it's banned
If two golfers want to play in flip flops, cargo shorts and vest tops at a members club that ban these things, then can they? They play late on, no one else can see them.

The answer is no. Whether you agree or not, the rule is there. I've yet to hear any reason given for why trainer socks are banned at some clubs but those 1" over the shoe height is okay. Reasoning is not given, the rules are just there.

So in answer to your question, if it's banned, it's banned. Even if they are the only two people on the course.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I'm not going to repeat myself

It’s very simple

A club ban smoking for whatever reason then it’s banned

It doesn’t matter if the reasons were passive smoking and there is a two ball of smokers - they still can’t smoke because it’s “banned”

Why are you struggling to understand that