Calling it a day

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I think the time is fast approaching when I’m going to stop playing golf.

I've played once since November and haven’t missed it at all.

apart from forum commitments I can’t really see myself playing much other golf this year and I don’t feel that sad about it. I think I’ll miss some of the characters from here more than the golf itself

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If that is how you feel, then only you know that. But, who wants to play in the winter? Its rubbish. Plenty of guys take a break, and then come back to it later.

Don't sell your kit, you might want it again.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Having played with you, you are a very good golfer, you hit it distances we old pharts can only dream of,
But as I said on a different thread, if you aren’t enjoying it, then take a break, as long as it takes. But don’t get rid of your kit as one day the bug will come back, I sincerely hope so 👍

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
No way Dando, you're too promising as a single figure golfer to pack up. I've played enough with you to see the ability just waiting to be tapped but I do think you need to ease back the power in the swing in the same proportion as the self criticism. You've got all the attributes to be z really good player and the better you play the more enjoyable it'll be.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wait till the clocks change, the masters on TV and the warm summer Sunday mornings. It’s a different world.

Nothing wrong with golfing 4 months of the year. In Alaska that’s the length of everyone’s golfing season

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Now, now Jimbo...that's enough of that!
Have a break, come back in a couple of months.
And, anyway, you won't get much for your clubs - they're bent the wrong way!
If you keep going I promise I'll teach you to chip - this may, of course, persuade you to pack it in forever so maybe not...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Keep the clubs and keep the faith. Give it a break while the courses are wet and muddy but once the sun is out and the trees are in bloom get back out there. Try a lesson and see if there's anything major going on. It would be a shame if you jacked it in permanently

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've thought the same at times. Haven't played since September and only been down the range once. I'm not missing it but think that's because I've started playing rugby again. Hopefully pick up the bug for it again in spring.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it, but as others said, maybe keep hold of the clubs in case you have a change of heart in the not too distant future. (If you decide to give it up that is).

D

Deleted member 21258

Keep the clubs and just play when you wish to, maybe a handful of times a year or less. One day you may wish to return to the game on a more regular basis and then go for it. Your spending your time and money so do something you wish to, no point in playing if you don't fancy it or enjoying it.:thup:

I did that for about 10 years due to family and work pressures and have come back to the game and now really enjoying it, as have more time now.

D

Deleted member 1740

Dandy I’ve had these thoughts myself for a while now but the only reason that keeps me coming back is the thought of having to spend more time with my tart should I spew it!!

Hopefully you’ll have a different feeling after your next round:thup:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
You have to go with what you feel for but it could just be the fact you haven't played for ages. I would suggest you play a couple of games when the weather brightens and then still see if you've lost the love.

Me? I can't even contemplate the idea.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wait till the clocks change, the masters on TV and the warm summer Sunday mornings. It’s a different world.

Nothing wrong with golfing 4 months of the year. In Alaska that’s the length of everyone’s golfing season

In Greenland at Nuuk GC, they have a simulator for comps through the winter and that goes from potentially late September through to May!

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
James what's caused this mate. forget golf mate till spring. Have fun with family, build up and bank plenty points then come back when you are all fresh and think of all of the points you can spend. If and when you do want a game and you want a day out by the sea give me a shout. Family can sit on the deck chairs and we can go for a game

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've felt like this since Christmas.

Only played a few times, not really missed it either. Miss the camaraderie more than the golf.

Of to Spain at the weekend for a week of beer and golf so hoping the better weather re-ignites my enthusiasm.

Odd thing is I'm still arranging Open days and weekend breaks with the usual motley crew that I play with