caddie hitting a practice tee shot

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
what happen in a doubles matchplay comp, if a caddie of one of the players tees up and hits a ball down the next hole, before the players get to the tee:eek:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
what happen in a doubles matchplay comp, if a caddie of one of the players tees up and hits a ball down the next hole, before the players get to the tee:eek:

He gets sacked! :mad:

And I'd figure his player is out of that hole! Or at least is playing 3rd from tee.

Story there?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
interesting....

6-1 tells us that the player is responsible for the actions of his caddie during a stipulated round ie the caddie could have hit practice shots on the course before a stroke play event and that would have been OK.

7-2 tells us that the player whose caddie made the shot is out of that hole. If the caddie is a caddie to both partners they clearly loose the hole. 30-3 f tells us that if the players actions benefit his partner then the partner is penalised - here it's difficult to see how the partner cannot gain any advantage from the caddies actions; either about the ball's reaction to landing in a given spot, wind impact, etc etc. Whilst he may have gained the same info from his opponents play this doesn't change the fact that he learnt from the caddies actions. I would suggest that the pair loose the hole.

This assumes that the opponents make a valid claim and it ends up for a ruling of course.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree, Duncan. This came up on the Leith Society discussion forum several years ago. While there wasn't 100% agreement, majority opinion was as you have stated.