Buying Golf Balls

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A topic that surely runs time and time again, but thats a forum.

I've decided that, having not lost a golf ball for 3 rounds in a row, i'm going to buy a set of new balls. To date i've only used those i've found in the long stuff, or a pack of lake balls i got so i've no idea what to look for in a ball, except that i'm going to lean towards the budget side of life!

Where do you buy yours, and what do you tend to play with?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A topic that surely runs time and time again, but thats a forum.

I've decided that, having not lost a golf ball for 3 rounds in a row, i'm going to buy a set of new balls. To date i've only used those i've found in the long stuff, or a pack of lake balls i got so i've no idea what to look for in a ball, except that i'm going to lean towards the budget side of life!

Where do you buy yours, and what do you tend to play with?

What do you play off? What are you looking for a ball? How much would you be prepared to pay per dozen? There are plenty of decent mid priced, mid range balls like the AD333 tour, but if you shop around or look for last years models, there are deals on premium balls too

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Had the enormous pleasure of playing with a scratch golfer in Orlando Sunday who actually played +4 after six cans of red stripe from the cart .... but I digress

We talked balls on the way round and he said I will show you something .....

Had a PW into the green and laid down four balls - all diff makes - and hit the same shot with each - the diff results even made my chin drop

But ...... I could t tell any diff as a high handicapper but if you can play and play well then you must try and find your make - otherwise whatever is on sale like the majority of us will do I bet!!!!

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've put one card in, two more to go. First card was dire, but being honest i'd expect my handicap to come in around 20-22. Looking for something that is going to be giving me a good flight off the tee, being honest other than that me thinning the ball is more likely than the ball being to blame for a result! Ideal budget is going to be about £20 a dozen (on the assumption that the marginal improvement above that isn't worth it).

Interesting on the above that you swap your balls out for diff conditions, i'd have thought just sticking to one is better for consistency?

On the ones i've found, most have just been random junk and quite tired looking, most of the time i've got no idea which ball it was beyond "a titleist" or "a callaway"

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Premium. Why compromise? It's the only piece of equipment that's consistent throughout your round...well for some 😂

Ill bet you have a £300 driver in the bag. Not putting it to full use without a decent ball.

Prov1x for me all day long

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Premium. Why compromise? It's the only piece of equipment that's consistent throughout your round...well for some 

Ill bet you have a £300 driver in the bag. Not putting it to full use without a decent ball.

Prov1x for me all day long

Whatever odds you were thinking of on your bet you aren't right! I'm rocking a fantastic Dunlop 65i driver, (quick ebay search its up at £6). Buying the new set of clubs it going to be about midway through the year (on the advice of people on this forum)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
For sensible options that aren't going to cost the earth and won't make you cry when you lose them
  • Wilson DX2 or DX3
  • Titleist Velocity or DT Tru Soft
  • Taylor Made Burner soft
For about £20 a dozen
  • Titleist NXT
  • Srixon AD333
  • Bridgestone E6
  • Callaway Supersoft
Saying that I love people who buy and lose lots of expensive balls as it means less for me to buy.
That's what I love about my course, you find a better class of ball :D

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I never fails to amaze me how much people spend on equipment, membership and so on to bring out a scruffy ball. I know a guy, he played off 20, sliced the ball all the time, a predicable slice. He couldn't spin the ball on the greens but was using a pro v. I said why not buy a harder less spinning ball. He got some titleist Velocity balls and he doesn't slice the ball as much, hits it a bit longer and is a happy camper.

Make sure you get the right ball for your game and abilities and dont skimp on them. My mate who's an ex pro will go through two or three new balls per medal round. As soon as it's scuffed from a wedge shot or whatever, it's changed. Maybe over the top, but he says you wouldn't play that ball out the box.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
For sensible options that aren't going to cost the earth and won't make you cry when you lose them
  • Wilson DX2 or DX3
For about £20 a dozen
  • Titleist NXT
  • Srixon AD333
  • Bridgestone E6
  • Callaway Supersoft
Saying that I love people who buy and lose lots of expensive balls as it means less for me to buy.

Keep your eyes open for the 3 [ never been used ]Top Flite Balatas i gave Virtuocity to try out . :D

D

Deleted Member 1156

• Wilson DX2 or DX3
For about £20 a dozen
  • Titleist NXT
  • Srixon AD333
  • Bridgestone E6
  • Callaway Supersoft

At last.....some sensible advice :thup:

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Whatever odds you were thinking of on your bet you aren't right! I'm rocking a fantastic Dunlop 65i driver, (quick ebay search its up at £6). Buying the new set of clubs it going to be about midway through the year (on the advice of people on this forum)

Fair enough! Still...try a premium ball. You won't go back!

G

guest100718

nike rzn tour. black or platinum can still be had for 19.99 a doz.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
I've put one card in, two more to go. First card was dire, but being honest i'd expect my handicap to come in around 20-22. Looking for something that is going to be giving me a good flight off the tee, being honest other than that me thinning the ball is more likely than the ball being to blame for a result! Ideal budget is going to be about £20 a dozen (on the assumption that the marginal improvement above that isn't worth it).

Interesting on the above that you swap your balls out for diff conditions, i'd have thought just sticking to one is better for consistency?

On the ones i've found, most have just been random junk and quite tired looking, most of the time i've got no idea which ball it was beyond "a titleist" or "a callaway"

If you can stretch to £25 clubhouse have the Bridgestone rxs ball. They are a great ball for the money

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
As you're starting out, go get some half decent mid range balls. Srixon Ad333, Callaway Supersoft etc.

The later can be bought 15 for £20 on Clubhouse Golf

Which brings me onto my other advice - buy online. Always a deal somewhere

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
  • Wilson DX2 or DX3
For about £20 a dozen
  • Titleist NXT
  • Srixon AD333
  • Bridgestone E6
  • Callaway Supersoft
This guy knows the score. I use Wilson Staff DX2s, excellent soft balls and only about £16 for a box usually. Callaway Supersoft and Titleist DT Trusoft are good too, they'll be about £20 a box. There are also Srixon Ultisoft/Soft Feel/AD333 - I have no idea why Srixon have so many different balls in the same bracket though.

Last edited: