Buying Golf Balls

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are going real budget it is beat to look for last or the years before models on clearance.
or just look around the budget retailers such as onlinegolf (McGregor DCT 24 ball pack 16.95)
Sportsdirect (Dunlop Tour soft 24 pack 7.95).

If you are looking at better quality balls on a budget why not look at lakeballs.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just seen your idea of 'budget' £20 a box is not quite what I think of as budget balls.

That is the high price range of good quality two piece balls.

What it comes down to in that price range is determining how soft you like a ball to feel and how much spin you want.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
If you are going real budget it is beat to look for last or the years before models on clearance.
or just look around the budget retailers such as onlinegolf (McGregor DCT 24 ball pack 16.95)
Sportsdirect (Dunlop Tour soft 24 pack 7.95).

If you are looking at better quality balls on a budget why not look at lakeballs.
I've never been a fan of lake balls. I just don't know how long they've been in the water or what effect it has on them. As you can now get pretty good balls at a decent price, I'd rather go with new and untouched rather than those of an unknown quantity.

Just seen your idea of 'budget' £20 a box is not quite what I think of as budget balls.

That is the high price range of good quality two piece balls.

What it comes down to in that price range is determining how soft you like a ball to feel and how much spin you want.
I realised I missed the comment that these balls can be bought for less than £15.00 a box.
  • Wilson DX2 or DX3
  • Titleist Velocity or DT Tru Soft
  • Taylor Made Burner soft
I would agree that it is then down to personal choice but all these with perform well for a mid-high handicapper.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As you're starting out, go get some half decent mid range balls. Srixon Ad333, Callaway Supersoft etc.

The later can be bought 15 for £20 on Clubhouse Golf

Which brings me onto my other advice - buy online. Always a deal somewhere

Wise words. Mid range balls will give you a decent all round performance at a decent price so it won't hurt the pocket too much. I'd look at AD333 tour, NXT as well as those named. Always deals online

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Picked up 24 AD333's will see how well the fly (into the trees) this weekend! really appreciate the suggestions, I bought them from AG since its on the way home from work and that way i know i'll have them before i next play.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Buy anything you want, but not Volviks. They’re the devil. I’m gonna give the new titleists a run when it firms up.
The best mid range ball I’ve tried is the project a

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Picked up 24 AD333's will see how well the fly (into the trees) this weekend! really appreciate the suggestions, I bought them from AG since its on the way home from work and that way i know i'll have them before i next play.

Good enough ball, especially with soft winter greens and a decent feel off the club face. Little firm off the putter face but not prohibitively so, just spend a few minutes before you go out hitting a few putts to get use to the feel

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you really think that they don't? Thanks for your positive contribution to the thread though.

my contribution is that balls fly the same. you may get very slight variance but nothing that anyone on this forum would notice.

i'd pick any decent run of the mill two piece ball and concentrate your efforts on improving your game where it actually makes a difference

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Another shout for the Wilson staff DX2's bought a few dozen dozen to see me through winter and can't complain. Soft but not too soft, feel nice off the putter. Seem to spin fine. I got them for a steal, AG were selling them online at 9.99 per dozen with a 20% discount so I ended up getting 4 dozen for just over 35 quid. Absolute bargain and very impressed

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another shout for the Wilson staff DX2's bought a few dozen dozen to see me through winter and can't complain. Soft but not too soft, feel nice off the putter. Seem to spin fine. I got them for a steal, AG were selling them online at 9.99 per dozen with a 20% discount so I ended up getting 4 dozen for just over 35 quid. Absolute bargain and very impressed

AG really tried to make me not buy the Srixon's and get the DX2's instead, which I felt was a bit strange. I was considering them given the price but how hard the store manager was trying to convince me to swap to them made me highly uncomfortable.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
AG really tried to make me not buy the Srixon's and get the DX2's instead, which I felt was a bit strange. I was considering them given the price but how hard the store manager was trying to convince me to swap to them made me highly uncomfortable.
Really? That's odd. I was in an AG the other day buying DX2s and the guy in that one was pointing out the new Titleist Tour Softs to me. So it's obviously not a nationwide AG push to sell DX2s.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wilson use to be one of the main brands that AG had biggest margins on and so are told to move promote them. I assume this may still be the case

felt as much!

Managed to have a round with the new (yellow) AD333's. Yellow was a great choice since I can actually find the damn thing when its a bit wayward, sticks out like noones business. Drives nicely and i'm enjoying it being a consistent distance, feels nice around the green (even had it spin on a few of my wedge shots!). MY GOD has it murdered my putting, guess i'll be doing a little work on that aspect for the next few weeks.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
felt as much!

Managed to have a round with the new (yellow) AD333's. Yellow was a great choice since I can actually find the damn thing when its a bit wayward, sticks out like noones business. Drives nicely and i'm enjoying it being a consistent distance, feels nice around the green (even had it spin on a few of my wedge shots!). MY GOD has it murdered my putting, guess i'll be doing a little work on that aspect for the next few weeks.
Funny that. I don't like the AD333 precisely because it never felt nice off my putter.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I've been using the DX2 optix through this winter and been very happy with it. In warmer temps, I prefer the DX3 Urethane, but for the price (£15), the DX2 Optix are a hard ball to beat for low cost quality.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always support my Pro and buy from him. Mainly Pro V1's but have given the X's a try. I really don't see the point in trying to save a couple of quid and buy online.