Buying an electric trolley - why so difficult?!?!

Mike79

Visit site
I have read the many threads on here re electric trolleys, and I am focused on either Motocaddy or Powakaddy...

Aside from the incremental price increases between models (18 hole, 18 hole with downhill brake, 36 hole, 36 hole with brake...), I am finding it impossible to decide between one model and another. I don't need a GPS model as use Hole19 on phone/watch. Readying / watching reviews, there appears to be very little between the various models at each pricepoint between the 2 brands.

Going for a 36 hole model as generally play Sat & Sun most weeks so will be able to run the battery down through that. I am between Motocaddy M1 Ultra and the Powacaddy FX7 Extended (because its reduced and only £30 more than the FX5 Extended), but very indecisive between each and I am not getting fed up looking into it!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
One reason to pick powakaddy day over Motocaddy is the wheels.
Motocaddy’s are impossible to keep clean,powakaddy use a different material and stay white.
Me personally I would go for the older models FW3/5/7s
Cheaper and reliable

Mike79

Visit site
Thats where I started; Motocaddy S1... then M1 seemed better for space in the car boot. Then 36 holes. Then it was not far off the FX5. Then the FX7 was reduced... So maybe stick with the S1 36 hole. Simple.

On Snainton Golf, the Powakaddy's come with umbrella holder included for free, Motocaddy have device or scorecard holder, neither of which I want.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have read the many threads on here re electric trolleys, and I am focused on either Motocaddy or Powakaddy...

Aside from the incremental price increases between models (18 hole, 18 hole with downhill brake, 36 hole, 36 hole with brake...), I am finding it impossible to decide between one model and another. I don't need a GPS model as use Hole19 on phone/watch. Readying / watching reviews, there appears to be very little between the various models at each pricepoint between the 2 brands.

Going for a 36 hole model as generally play Sat & Sun most weeks so will be able to run the battery down through that. I am between Motocaddy M1 Ultra and the Powacaddy FX7 Extended (because its reduced and only £30 more than the FX5 Extended), but very indecisive between each and I am not getting fed up looking into it!

Then there is what folds up smaller etc etc

Try the code MISSYOU on Snainton, and maybe treat yourself to something higher end

Mike79

Visit site
Decided I’d been searching too long and just wanted to get on with it. Just went to speak with the pro shop - 1 of the pros said get DHC the other said don’t bother. So didn’t bother.

Motocaddy M1 36 hole. Was in stock so home with it now. Price matched Snainton along with their 10% discount code so I’m happy with that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don’t overthink it. Get the most basic motocaddy S1 with the size of battery you need.

All the fancy bits are just more stuff to go wrong.
This is what I am going for for my next birthday. I don’t need the GPS stuff as I use a range finder - and the downhill speed control might well be nice if my track had steep downhill slopes on more than two holes.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
You don't need all the extra gubbins, get the basic, buy Lithium, and a brolly holder, and you're done.
I once had a brolly holder for my trolley. Quite often when you need a brolly it's also quite windy which makes them a liability attached to the trolley.
They also all seem to be very poor quality and not strong enough. Why don't they make them with metal clamps?

One day I discovered that I'd lost my brolly holder (never figured out how), and have never felt the need to replace it.

PS. Have decided that the next trolley I get will have DHC. Don't need it on my home course, but definitely worth it on some away courses.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Thats where I started; Motocaddy S1... then M1 seemed better for space in the car boot. Then 36 holes. Then it was not far off the FX5. Then the FX7 was reduced... So maybe stick with the S1 36 hole. Simple.

On Snainton Golf, the Powakaddy's come with umbrella holder included for free, Motocaddy have device or scorecard holder, neither of which I want.
If it's space in the boot you're after, the Powakaddy CT6 is the one you need. Folds down so small, and you can invert the wheels if you want it even smaller.

Reactions: Val

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If it's space in the boot you're after, the Powakaddy CT6 is the one you need. Folds down so small, and you can invert the wheels if you want it even smaller.

Must admit...the CT8 i recently bought is tiny when folded.

Though in my research I came across much the same issues as the OP....in the end the size folded was the main deciding factor and I decided on a basic CT6....but my local shop didn't have any in but offered me a CT8 with a very good discount....msut admit...quite pleased with it but the "soft start" button is a pain in the arse.

D

Deleted member 23270

I have the M1. It has a USB port and I use the phone holder device to hold my phone when using the motocaddy GPS app and plug in a cable to charge the phone so the battery doesn't run out. Very handy.

Oh.....and ignore the stated battery life. My '36 hole' lithium lasts 72 holes on flattish courses.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Personally I rate my Stewart golf x9 remote but have had a powerkaddy with ebs before. I got rid for two reasons. The handle height ain’t great for taller people and the clutch on the ebs had a shocking lifespan. My advice is go cheat and pay for the extended battery. Then it’s really just a question over compact vs normal.

I always go for the extended battery as lithium depletes about 3% year on year so you should easily get 18 holes out of it for many years.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I went through this at the start of the year, Motocaddy M1 or Powakaddy FX3 were my initial ideas. However I realised due to restrictive boot space the trolley needed to be stored on the back seat. So I went for the PK CT6 18 hole(non GPS) with EWB, been very happy with it.