Buying a used car..

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new car, not a brand new one, a used one.

Currently looking down the BMW 1 Series Convertible (dependent on golf club space), BMW 3 series or a Focus ST. Problem is, I have a budget. Its around £10k.

Now the question I have is, do I look to buy a few years old with high mileage (over 50k) or older with low mileage. Because off my budget the cars I am looking at, at that price are 2008-2011 models, with low mileage between 30-40k.

I've never had a new car, and they have always been 5 or 6 years old, starting on low mileage and I keep them until they hit over 100k and start needing expensive fixes, but it seems to be a mixed discussion. I've had people saying "I would never buy anything older than 2 years" or "if its old with low mileage then it will have been sitting still and will have problems"

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think it's cut and dry to be honest, as the older, low mileage car could still have had regular use, but been owned by someone who doesn't travel a lot of miles.

That being said, with car engines being as reliable as they are these days, if you can find a car with a full service history that's been kept in good nick and not driven recklessly, and it's got 40 or 50k on the clock (or more), I'd go for that...In the real world, I wouldn't as I do enough mileage in a year that I'd get up to 100k pretty quick, but cars can run for years/miles thee days, so 50k is really just when the engine has been run in.

I doubt you'll get your clubs in a 1 series convertible (as nice as they are compared to the normal 1-series, which is a truly pointless car), the Focus ST is great value for money and fun a hell to drive...as long as you don't mind looking a bit like a chav ;)

Best of luck with the search.

Oh and I know I sound like a bit of a Lexus salesman these days...but if you're looking at the 3-series, seriously take a look at the IS series...You generally get more VFM and Lexus' are renowned for their reliability.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My wife's got a 1 series cabriotlet and you will get your clubs in no problem, the boot at the back is nearly the full width of the car so you bag will slot in and lay down with the driver still in the bag.

Can take pics if needed.

50mpg is an added bonus with the 1 series too.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wife's got a 1 series cabriotlet and you will get your clubs in no problem, the boot at the back is nearly the full width of the car so you bag will slot in and lay down with the driver still in the bag.

Can take pics if needed.

Do the rear seats come down as well? I think i read that somewhere

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have always adopted the mantra of buying the newest car my cash would run to... Believe this has served us well... Cars with a high mileage, being a problem, is not a big issue unless you intend to cover high mileages yourself...

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

Can take pics if needed.

This surprises me, every day's a school day. My mate's other half has just got one (having had a 3 door 1 series before) and he absolutely loves it. I love the look of the Cabrio's.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am considering having a look at a Focus Zetec S 1.6 Ecoboost. Decent space, fairly new and within budget, and 180bhp... ST might be to much to run sadly.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am considering having a look at a Focus Zetec S 1.6 Ecoboost. Decent space, fairly new and within budget, and 180bhp... ST might be to much to run sadly.

If the 1.6 ecoboost is anything like the 1.0 ecoboost in my cousin's Fiesta, it will have plenty of balls behind it! You probably get about 1000mpg too.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new car, not a brand new one, a used one.

Currently looking down the BMW 1 Series Convertible (dependent on golf club space), BMW 3 series or a Focus ST. Problem is, I have a budget. Its around £10k.

Now the question I have is, do I look to buy a few years old with high mileage (over 50k) or older with low mileage. Because off my budget the cars I am looking at, at that price are 2008-2011 models, with low mileage between 30-40k.

I've never had a new car, and they have always been 5 or 6 years old, starting on low mileage and I keep them until they hit over 100k and start needing expensive fixes, but it seems to be a mixed discussion. I've had people saying "I would never buy anything older than 2 years" or "if its old with low mileage then it will have been sitting still and will have problems"

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Have you considered BCA car auctions?

Its no more risky buying a car from an auction these days then it is from a dealer and certainly better than buying it privately.

If you buy on one of their days when a fleet operator like Arval PHH are selling cars then you can pick up an ex-company car typically 3-4 years old that is checked for any major mechanical issues by BCA. In most cases the car itself is still under manufacture warranty as well.

Ive bought the last 4 cars (for the wife and me) from the auction and haven't had any problems at all.

You can view their catalogue online to see what cars are coming up for auction, I guess Peterborough might be the closest BCA for you. Its worth a look even if you don't bid on anything to get an idea of the savings you can potentially make.

I've been looking at leasing recently but in all probability I will go back to BCA to buy and save myself a few quid.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you considered BCA car auctions?

Its no more risky buying a car from an auction these days then it is from a dealer and certainly better than buying it privately.

If you buy on one of their days when a fleet operator like Arval PHH are selling cars then you can pick up an ex-company car typically 3-4 years old that is checked for any major mechanical issues by BCA. In most cases the car itself is still under manufacture warranty as well.

Ive bought the last 4 cars (for the wife and me) from the auction and haven't had any problems at all.

You can view their catalogue online to see what cars are coming up for auction, I guess Peterborough might be the closest BCA for you. Its worth a look even if you don't bid on anything to get an idea of the savings you can potentially make.

I've been looking at leasing recently but in all probability I will go back to BCA to buy and save myself a few quid.

Quoted for wisdom. I've had my last two cars from a chap my dad has dealt with for years, who's job it is to provide fleet cars and hunt down cars at auction.

First car was a year old Seat Toledo (in 2005) with 12k on the clock - cost me about £10k I think - and was basically a Leon FR in disguise. The 150bhp diesel engine was absolutely dreamy, loved every second of driving that car.

Secondly was a year old Mondeo Mk4 Titanium which had 20k on the clock...cost me £12k. Just about to chop it in having now done nearly 110k, but it's been a superb car and it was absolutely pristine when we got it....not so much now. :whistle:

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Couple of points. I have a convertible and with the roof down there is no room in the boot for anything let alone golf clubs and trolley. Roof up - the boot is almost cave like!

When actually testing a car, have a think about day to day practicalities. after buying it, my current car doesn't have those hooks above the window to hang coats on, a rear windscreen wiper and the radio reception is rubbish. little things like that make a difference to daily driving.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Me ma's got the Focus Zetec Ecoboost but think hers might be 125BHP.

Drove it down to London the other day and it's beautiful and goes when you want it to!

Think I got about 48/49 MPG too :thup:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
BMW 1 series, eh? Not planning to do much winter driving,. I hope.

The car magazines used to say that youngish highish milers were good buys because they had often done low stress miles on motorways and were well maintained rather than a car Grandma was driving 3000 miles a year but always short journeys from cold starts, with the engine never getting a good run out and with her foot on the clutch the whole time.

30-40k miles is nothing for a modern car. I have just changed my 08 Audi A6 after 110k and it was still running great.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
BMW 1 series, eh? Not planning to do much winter driving.
I have a 1 series hatchback. It's perfectly fine in the snow if drive to the conditions.
What i will say it's not big enough for golf clubs if you use a trolley and cart bag. My other car is a RS focus, the boot is more than big enough for trolley and tour bag with drivers and woods in the bag.
Life's to short to buy a boring car. Buy the ST, they are a massive hoot! The new ones can get decent mpg too (35mpg average easily doable)

MarkE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's a total myth that RWD cars are difficult to drive in snow/icy conditions. Unless you've got lead in your right boot then they're perfectly driveable.

They all have electronics keeping everything in check these days, so although fwd is inherently more predictable, as you say you would have to be driving like a numpty to get into any more trouble than fwd.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

Can take pics if needed.

Im sure there is a joke waiting in there somewhere

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So after a lot of stress having sold my car and not knowing what to buy, I have finally put a deposit down on a new (used) motor....

2013 Ford Focus ST in Tangerine Scream :whoo:

I'm pretty excited

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
So after a lot of stress having sold my car and not knowing what to buy, I have finally put a deposit down on a new (used) motor....

2013 Ford Focus ST in Tangerine Scream :whoo:

I'm pretty excited
If you've never owned a ford before. You've picked the perfect one to start with. That engine, gearbox and drive train as about as good as it gets until you hit 4wd motors.
You'll be addicted to the woosh in no time. Welcome to the fast ford fold!