Car number plate swapping

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im probably going to be changing my current car for a new one. The current one has a private plate that the car was registered with, which will be put on retention then put on the new car after I get it.. Can I sell the car without the new V5 and plates fitted not forgetting my car doesn't have an "old" number plate as it might have if the private plate was transfered after getting it?
Cheers

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im probably going to be changing my current car for a new one. The current one has a private plate that the car was registered with, which will be put on retention then put on the new car after I get it.. Can I sell the car without the new V5 and plates fitted not forgetting my car doesn't have an "old" number plate as it might have if the private plate was transfered after getting it?
Cheers

I don't believe you can no, is it in your name? I recently did this. You can literally put the cherished plate on retainer there and then online . You will then be given a new plate (whatever it is if you didn't have one) which you will be emailed documents to go to a Halfords or such to get plates printed up

Then your new v5 will arrive in a week or so..mine took 5 days

Quicker you remove the plates the better. Not forgetting to tell your insurance aswell 👍 (who will prob charge about £20-30)

4LEX

Visit site
Once you remove the private plate from the car, the DVLA will automatically reassign a plate to the car. You will then have to wait for the V5 and have new plates made up.

You can do it all online and the DVLA are very quick at sending documents out!

4LEX

Visit site
I don't believe you can no, is it in your name? I recently did this. You can literally put the cherished plate on retainer there and then online . You will then be given a new plate (whatever it is if you didn't have one) which you will be emailed documents to go to a Halfords or such to get plates printed up

Then your new v5 will arrive in a week or so..mine took 5 days

Quicker you remove the plates the better. Not forgetting to tell your insurance aswell 👍 (who will prob charge about £20-30)

Most insurance will let you do it for free if you do it online, rather than over the phone!

4LEX

Visit site
Also get the plates printed on Amazon. They don't ask for any documents and cost around £10.

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I done this recently with my motorbike when I traded it in. I had purchased it brand new in 2022 and had it registered with my private plate, before I traded it in the DVLA sent out the new V5 documents with a 22 registration for it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thankyou all, was very simple.
Did it last Saturday, private plate on retention and new number allocated to the car. Neccessary form printed off and new plate made that day (Saturday). New V5 came last week, as did retention certificate to put plate on new car.
For a Government thing, it was remarkable simple and all completed in no time at all.
I wonder if AI works at the weekend;)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do you get a plate made to your specs and registered, instead of trying to find one thats sort of like the one you want. Ie I saw one yesterday with DM13 and only that on.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How do you get a plate made to your specs and registered, instead of trying to find one thats sort of like the one you want. Ie I saw one yesterday with DM13 and only that on.
You can only registrations already created but not in use for whatever reason.