Bust

Diamond

Visit site
I would question whether a club has set its membership fees at the appropriate level if it was reliant on other such income to ensure the course and facilities were maintained. Surplus income from the non-core activities should surely be used to enhance rather than maintain facilities.

Like I said survival of the fittest. Most will be fine and even better than fine but some will struggle due to supply and demand. I am sure there are a lot of golf clubs that are setting membership as low as possible to attract golfers.

Grizzly

Visit site
£20 mate. Don't really want to pay more than that in these conditions, it's not worth it. Where were you thinking of?
I know its a 9 holer, but West London Golf Centre is pretty decent, and Pinner Hill have some silly offers at present. If you stretch to £25, the Oxfordshire is also in range - we were there last week and it was not in bad condition considering the weather we've had.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know its a 9 holer, but West London Golf Centre is pretty decent, and Pinner Hill have some silly offers at present. If you stretch to £25, the Oxfordshire is also in range - we were there last week and it was not in bad condition considering the weather we've had.
Ah I'm not a fan of Pinner Hill, it plays sooo long in the winter, haha. Oxfordshire is too long a drive, particularly when I have to get my mate to pick me up. Cheers for the suggestions though.

Are Trent Park or Whitewebbs on your radar ?
I played Trent Park once last year, it was quite decent although weather was horrendous that day. Never heard of Whitewebbs, I'll have a look. (y)

Chances are we'll give Grimsdyke another bash though. Nice little course only ten mins from my house.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Ah I'm not a fan of Pinner Hill, it plays sooo long in the winter, haha. Oxfordshire is too long a drive, particularly when I have to get my mate to pick me up. Cheers for the suggestions though.

I played Trent Park once last year, it was quite decent although weather was horrendous that day. Never heard of Whitewebbs, I'll have a look. (y)

Chances are we'll give Grimsdyke another bash though. Nice little course only ten mins from my house.
What about raddlet? It's not bad, some nice holes and reasonable price.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing devils advocate, is it a bad thing that courses close? Does it not mean that a large proportion of these Members will move to other clubs.

We have too many courses in this country imo.

Not saying I’m right but wonder on people views

I think looking at it objectively, it could have a positive effect. Obviously it is sad to lose a course, especially if it's one that's been around for a century but assuming there are still other courses in the area you'd hope they could get an influx of members. And in this country a huge number of golf courses / clubs have now been suffering under investment for decades and in most cases a business would take the decision to close / merge well before this reality happens for a golf club.

We had a neighbouring course close last year and it increased our main membership by maybe 80 to 100 or so. This has obviously aided the purse strings and allowed a number of maintenance and projects that likely would otherwise not have happened. No doubt there'll still be a bit of turnover but it has certainly given us an opportunity to maintain / improve our offering and hopefully that will help with membership and visitor numbers.

But the bottom line is that it costs a LOT of money to run a golf course and for the clubs that have moved to doing it on a shoe string... it's unlikely they will find a way back from there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What about raddlet? It's not bad, some nice holes and reasonable price.
We actually played Radlett early December I think and it was an absolute bog. The course was like a giant mud sponge, should have been closed really, yet we paid £28 each for the privilege. Wasn't impressed, but when we have played there in the past it was good, so that was a shame really.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Little Hay is normally very playable, and has some nice holes. Not sure about £20 though, you are going to be very limited at that price point.

Oh, and Grims dyke is a terrible golf course.

I started my golf at Ruislip, and Uxbridge golf courses. Shame one has gone, and one might as well be.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
We actually played Radlett early December I think and it was an absolute bog. The course was like a giant mud sponge, should have been closed really, yet we paid £28 each for the privilege. Wasn't impressed, but when we have played there in the past it was good, so that was a shame really.
Yeah it was wet when I played it last year .

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh, and Grims dyke is a terrible golf course.
Is it?? How so?

I started my golf at Ruislip, and Uxbridge golf courses. Shame one has gone, and one might as well be.
Agreed. Uxbridge is pointless for anything other than light practise now. Ruislip was quite a nice layout without being too strenuous, big shame that has gone. I learnt on the driving range there but didn't play the actual course until several years later.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I guess I don't play many golf courses with a £20 green fee, so may be it is up there against it's peers at that price point. To me, it's just not any good. The 3 holes in the corner by the entrance are ok, the rest, meh.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess I don't play many golf courses with a £20 green fee, so may be it is up there against it's peers at that price point. To me, it's just not any good. The 3 holes in the corner by the entrance are ok, the rest, meh.
Well, I have no idea what you mean since you've not explained. Is it the condition of the course or the layout which is not to your tastes? I've always enjoyed it, I think it has quite a few interesting holes. Also it's not grossly long which suits me. We actually half-considered joining there if Haste Hill kept getting worse, but in the end they sorted the greens out so we stayed. Would've been more expensive of course so I don't know 100% if I could have afforded it.

Grizzly

Visit site
Well, I have no idea what you mean since you've not explained. Is it the condition of the course or the layout which is not to your tastes? I've always enjoyed it, I think it has quite a few interesting holes. Also it's not grossly long which suits me. We actually half-considered joining there if Haste Hill kept getting worse, but in the end they sorted the greens out so we stayed. Would've been more expensive of course so I don't know 100% if I could have afforded it.

I tend to agree with you - Grimsdyke isn't a long course, but length is not the be all and end all for a lot of golfers - and it has superb greens, especially in anything approaching Summer. Is it the best course in Middlesex? No, it isn't. But is it worth the money they usually charge? I'd say yes.

Grizzly

Visit site
RE Pinner Hill: Now that I wouldn't have said - we played there in very wet conditions Xmas Eve and the 5's were still driver and a mid iron! Thankfully all of the longer holes seem to be downhill!

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
Ruislip was quite a nice layout without being too strenuous, big shame that has gone.

I recognise you haven't played many courses, especially courses considered highly, but even given your limited experience how can you describe Ruislip as "a nice layout "? What course is worse than Ruislip? :ROFLMAO:

sunshine

Visit site
On a slightly different note, I was asked my a colleague yesterday about a London course, West Middlesex Golf Club, which is up for sale by administrators. Anyone know what the story is there?

That's a shame, west mid has some interesting holes and has been around a long time so hopefully it won't disappear.

It's in an area where I imagine there aren't many golfers, but it's popular with the Irish community in west London.