Bust

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
More members to get swept up by other clubs in the areas, survival of the fittest or most financially astute.

Is that a bad thing? There will be a lot more closures to come all around the country.
They had an artisan section too. Wonder what they'll do now. Be a shock having to pay real fees for golf
Potters bar is a slightly different case as it for a long time was considered a Jewish only course and I guess it never got away from this.

D

Deleted member 25172

You have a lot a very good courses nearby as well - Hadley Wood , Old Ford Manor and Drynham Park - excellent clubs

Indeed no shortage of courses in this part of the world. I'll probably wait till after winter now and just pay and play for a bit.

I've just taken up the winter offer at Mill Hill which is close by. It's £349 from 1st December until 31st May, then if you want to become a "real" member after that, they'll deduct the £349 from the annual fee the first year. Great deal imo.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
You've just got to read some replies on here to see why clubs are closing, no loyalty and whoever is offering the best deal, quantity over quality is how it is in this selfish world nowadays.

D

Deleted member 15344

If a club and a course is good enough then it won’t close down or need to offer cheap deals.

I can’t really remember many top quality clubs closing down over the years.

It is always sad to see a club close but that will help other clubs in the area

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
the links and heathland holes are good, but the 3 or so parkland holes and the last hole are nowhere near as good
Golspie for me is let down by the first, and last 5, otherwise a very good knock. Amazed they are struggling, even more amazed about Tain.

Real shame is Strathpeffer goes tho, but 50 members, it's on its last peg there.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
You've just got to read some replies on here to see why clubs are closing, no loyalty and whoever is offering the best deal, quantity over quality is how it is in this selfish world nowadays.
If clubs are going to offer cut price deals you cant blame golfers for taking them up. What does loyalty to a club get me ? I personally have been a member of many clubs and have enjoyed it very much. I'll most likely join my local course on a credits based system in the spring then play and play elsewhere when there isn't a medal on.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Golspie for me is let down by the first, and last 5, otherwise a very good knock. Amazed they are struggling, even more amazed about Tain.

Real shame is Strathpeffer goes tho, but 50 members, it's on its last peg there.
small populations and in reality too many course. Tain is about 200 members i think, when it was £150 to 200 to be a member they had quite a few members and now its double that guys who only play once in a blue moon just don't continue with membership. It is also a factor that a lot of guys up here are members of two or more clubs, most of the guys i know from up there were once upon a time members at Dornoch,at well as Tain, Goslpie or Brora. not any more though

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sad but necessary.

Simple supply and demand. Not enough members to generate enough income to keep all the clubs open.

Better a few clubs go under so the other clubs get a membership boost to sustain them.

Real danger is as running costs increase and player pool decreases clubs have to maintain membership numbers and and\or increase fees. Increased fees could then drive more people out of the game. And then things just keep spiralling down until it finds a level it can maintain.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Golfing habits have changed so much in the last two or three decades. Back in the 70's clubs like Potters Bar were still seen as aspirational and the membership would have to wait to be offered a place and would then stay at the same place usually for a lifetime. In the last decade or so, members are far more choosy, often seeking the best/latest deal and will have little qualm about moving about and loyalty. I would suggest that this has made budgeting and forecasting a refined art and some clubs have been more successful than others. Potter Bar was a definite members club. I've no idea if they've tried moving with the times but it's a shame its gone

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its an odd set up. I'm expected to pay c 1500 pa for a game once or twice a week but other guys pay half that and play every day Monday to Friday.
If that's a reference to 5 day v 7 day memberships then it's not an odd set up at all.
If it's something different it may be.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Sadly you are correct Jacko old bean. i fear for a few clubs up here.

Stathpeffer is apparently down to less than 50 members, Muir of ord and Lochness will no doubt suffer when the new Torvean opens, Alness and Invergordon Struggle, though they have just poached quite few members from Tain, who are also struggling along with Golspie
I noticed today on Public Contracts Scotland that there is a tender for a Golspie Golf Club Sustainability Project.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Its an odd set up. I'm expected to pay c 1500 pa for a game once or twice a week but other guys pay half that and play every day Monday to Friday.

As Duncan said, if it's a reference to 5 v 7 day memberships it's simple that weekends are the most popular when the course is at it's busiest, one cannot blame a club because someone can only play at weekends, that is the individuals issue, not the clubs.

D

Deleted member 17920

Put in the correct hands it can be turned around.
This, and I believe this is the same for every golf club in the UK 👍

Far too many have gone down the discount route and it’s killing them.

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
If the course is good enough condition and reasonable membership costs you should retain a core. You’ll always get folk coming and going but it’s losing the core that kills the club