Burnham and berrow - advice please

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am playing B&B on Sunday in a 36 hole comp. I have never played there before and I am really looking forward to my day out!
Any advice for a 5 handicapper?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Quite a tricky course if you haven't played it before. There are a few bunkers you can't see and a couple of hidden greens (4th/15th?) as well. If you don't get a chance to play or walk the course beforehand then it's certainly worth getting a strokesaver. I last played it at Easter and the rough was down but don't know what it is like now. If you need any in depth info then I suggest you drop Mendies a pm as he is a member :thup:

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers guys. I have spent some time on the website looking at map and flyovers etc. My strategy is going to be keep it in play by taking less club if necessary. Too many blinds shots to be swinging driver and fairway woods everywhere. Looking forward to the challenge!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Greens are very subtle in places and get quick! A practice round will be worth its weight in gold if you can tomorrow.

On,y a few blind drives to worry about... don't cut off much on the 4th, 10 is blind, slightly left of marker is better than anything missing fairway right...

Big slopes on many green surrounds so be careful..and have fun

Last edited:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
All good advice above, make good use of the range and practice bunkers to warm up. Practice greens are pretty representative of main greens too:thup:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't be short on the par 3 5th. There is a massive bunker short of the green that is not easily seen from the tee.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do not worry about using the driver, it really is needed there unless you hit the 3 wood around 250. Most holes you get what you see. On the outward 9 if you hit big slices over the top of the dunes you only lose a ball very rarely, I once hit 5 provos on that nine due to 40 mph L to R wind. If you do not play a course with really fast greens spend a good bit of practice time on the practice green, it is the same pace. Bunkers do not require a high bounce wedge only something around 8 degree.

Watch out for the 18th on the second shot, the green slopes front to back.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you hit a long straight one down the middle of 7 you can end up in some clagg in the middle of the fairway. Happened to me once and I wasn't happy. God knows why it's there.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Makes it a dog leg... quite delberate, was added to about five years ago... you go right of it.... wonder if Mendie can carry it?:D

I know it's stroke 1 but surely length alone is good enough. Bunkers down the left, and too far right is long grass and the water.

And there is water not far from the right of the green if you carve your second to the right.

Last edited:

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well it is fair to say that B&B is a top course. It kicked my butt today but I loved every bit of it. Already looking forward to next year!