Bunker options

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
We have introduced two very deep, very small (a swing at times can be virtually impossible) bunkers, resulting in scores of 7/8 at this par three.

This has given rise to much discussion on options should one land in there bearing in mind your position in the bunker will not be known until one lands at the bunker and find the ball hard against the front with no chance of getting out forward or no swing option to go out sideways or backwards.

Advice please!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your options are to play the ball as it lies or deem it unplayable. You can, under penalty of one stroke, drop the ball within two club lengths of where it lies or back on a line from the hole through where the ball lies. In both of these options you must drop the ball in the bunker. Your only way to drop outside the bunker is stroke and distance - play from where you played your previous stroke.

Se Rule 28

John_R7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Practice your bunker play and don't be greedy.
Try to simulate shots you will get in your practice bunker.
If this is not possible go to the actual hole and bunker when the course is empty and practice away.
Find what gets it out in one, full closed 60* or splash etc. Get out in one and worry about the rest of the shots next.

Take more (or less) club to try an take them out of the equation. Aim for the middle of the green if the flag is near them. a 4 is better than an 8.

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi John
I have maybe not described well enough but if you are at the front of the bunker, totally circular, five feet high sheer front and only six feet across, I would defy any average golfer of getting out and ... no back swing to play out sideways!

The only alternative if it is to be played is to hit with force and hope it will land in a position that will allow a swing at the ball, playing in the direction that your lie dictates. The problem with this option is getting hit and accepting the penalty strokes.

Dropping is what is used most but with soft sand, the ball does do a 'poached egg' and even that offers a demand on your ability to get the ball to rise straight up in the air.

For the record I am considered an above average bunker player with traps presenting little concern but this little bbbbbbbs are a big problem.

Stroke and distance it is then!

Thanks!

John_R7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
19th, was not criticising your bunker play but just trying to think what I would try.
Sounds like you are already tackling it the only way possible:thup:.

If it is truly that bad & difficult perhaps raise it to the committee and request a modification?
I do not know which course you play but sounds like a championship style bunker, us mere mortals cannot do half of what the pro's do.
If you are a championship course you may have to suck it and see, if not then the bunkers may not be in keeping with the rest of the course.

Then it is back to the other tip, take club and aim to stay out of them ;).

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Agreed.
Bunkers are supposed to be a hazard but they still need to be fair
If there's barely room to swing a club they need changing.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Does seem that these are too penal.

Those with 'just enough room for an angry man and his mashie' are fairway rather than green-side bunkers, so any direction is fine.

Nothing wrong with high-faced ones if there is room - Hell Bunker, Road-Hole; Wentworth West Course (several).

Be aware that it may also be a case of new or wrong sand having an impact. Soft, fluffy sand will be no good for that type of bunker imo.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If its as bad as you say think Id be telling the club that the 2 traps theyve introduced are a joke and need to be rethought

I agree, since most players are mid to hi handicapped what is the point of such difficult hazard(s) that can destroy a round from just one mistake !!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe a silly question, but is there any minimum size for a bunker ?? I thinking of on the green the hole must be a minimum distance from the edge , also on the tee there must be a minimum distance left at the back , i think! .

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no minimum size set for bunkers.
The distance of the hole from the edge is only a recommendation (4 paces) but doesn't appear in the Rules book.
The distance behind the teeing ground is only a requirement of the CONGU course measuring system. Again, there is no Rule of Golf.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is no minimum size set for bunkers.
The distance of the hole from the edge is only a recommendation (4 paces) but doesn't appear in the Rules book.
The distance behind the teeing ground is only a requirement of the CONGU course measuring system. Again, there is no Rule of Golf.
Thanks Rulefan :thup:

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Best advice is stay out of them then. Take more club, aim the other side etc.

Should you find yourself in them, Colin's right. Never forget the unplayable rule. I see many golfers try to play from almost impossible lies and costing themselves a handful of shots where a simple application of the correct rule could save them.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
19th, was not criticising your bunker play but just trying to think what I would try.
Sounds like you are already tackling it the only way possible:thup:.

If it is truly that bad & difficult perhaps raise it to the committee and request a modification?
I do not know which course you play but sounds like a championship style bunker, us mere mortals cannot do half of what the pro's do.
If you are a championship course you may have to suck it and see,
if not then the bunkers may not be in keeping with the rest of the course.

Then it is back to the other tip, take club and aim to stay out of them ;).

I agree with this.
If people are taking 7 or 8 on a par three if they make the mistake of finding these bunkers, it could become a real bottleneck on a busy course.

Some of the bunkers at Lytham look tiny!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with this.
If people are taking 7 or 8 on a par three if they make the mistake of finding these bunkers, it could become a real bottleneck on a busy course.

Some of the bunkers at Lytham look tiny!

Those at St Annes Old links seem hardly bigger than a bath tub.