Hitting the ball after practise swing??

nyckuk

Visit site
This happened to my friend in match play today.
He had a practice swing then waggled his club above the ball to get the wrist moving (before placing the club behind the ball)
As he done the waggle ,he clipped the ball and it moved sideways about 2-3 inches , his opponent didn't see it but my mate informed him .
They explored 3 options and decided on option 3
1)2 shot penalty
2) counts as a shot and play ball as it lies
3) counts a shot and move ball back to original position

I thought option 2 would be the the one ??

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
This happened to my friend in match play today.
He had a practice swing then waggled his club above the ball to get the wrist moving (before placing the club behind the ball)
As he done the waggle ,he clipped the ball and it moved sideways about 2-3 inches , his opponent didn't see it but my mate informed him .
They explored 3 options and decided on option 3
1)2 shot penalty
2) counts as a shot and play ball as it lies
3) counts a shot and move ball back to original position

I thought option 2 would be the the one ??

Was this done on the tee?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Forgot to mention that … it was on the fairway
In which case, you add one penalty shot and replace the ball on original spot. (Rule 9.4) . So (3) was sort of right.
If ball had been moved as part of a stroke, or during the backswing while making a stroke, then you'd play ball as it lies but that's not what you described.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
In which case, you add one penalty shot and replace the ball on original spot. (Rule 9.4) . So (3) was sort of right.
If ball had been moved as part of a stroke, or during the backswing while making a stroke, then you'd play ball as it lies but that's not what you described.
Just to be clear, if the player causes his ball to move during the backswing for a stroke and the stroke is completed, there is still a one stroke penalty, but the ball does not need to be replaced.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…and if ‘nature’ (eg wind) and not the player caused the ball to move after he addressed the ball then does the player replace it or play it as lies without penalty?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just to be clear, if the player causes his ball to move during the backswing for a stroke and the stroke is completed, there is still a one stroke penalty, but the ball does not need to be replaced.

Didn't know that. I thought if the ball moved during the swing but the stroke was completed then there was no penalty.
What rule number is that please?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As already said (3) is correct

If (2) is used, (the the ball is not replaced and is hit from where it comes to rest) the penalty is two shots for playing from a wrong place.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Indeed, but didn't go into that as that was not what was described.
…and if ‘nature’ (eg wind) and not the player caused the ball to move after he addressed the ball then does the player replace it or play it as lies without penalty?
Also indeed. But this too was not the scenario described.

salfordlad

Visit site
Starting a post with "and if..." leaves me unclear precisely what you are asking, but see 9.3. If that doesn't answer your question, please spell it out more clearly.

RichA

Visit site
I'm confused. I thought that if the ball is moved accidentally, before the stroke or backswing has begun, then it is replaced without penalty.

Steven Rules

Visit site
I'm confused. I thought that if the ball is moved accidentally, before the stroke or backswing has begun, then it is replaced without penalty.
Rule 9.4b
Penalty for Lifting or Deliberately Touching Ball or Causing It to Move
If the player lifts or deliberately touches his or her ball at rest or causes it to move, the player gets one penalty stroke.

Only on the green???
Correct for the situation of the player accidentally causing the ball to move.

Exception 3 to Rule 9.4b – Accidental Movement on Putting Green: There is no penalty when the player accidentally causes the ball to move on the putting green (see Rule 13.1d), no matter how that happens.

nyckuk

Visit site
Rule 9.4b
Penalty for Lifting or Deliberately Touching Ball or Causing It to Move
If the player lifts or deliberately touches his or her ball at rest or causes it to move, the player gets one penalty stroke.

If your ball is in the rough and you cant 100% confirm its your ball , you're not allowed rotate the ball to identify it ??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your ball is in the rough and you cant 100% confirm its your ball , you're not allowed rotate the ball to identify it ??

You are allowed and must identify your ball anywhere. What is wrong is rotating it anywhere (or lifting) without first marking it's position.

7.3 Lifting Ball to Identify It
If a ball might be a player’s ball but cannot be identified as it lies:
• The player may lift the ball to identify it (including by rotating it), but:
• The spot of the ball must first be marked, and the ball must not be cleaned more than needed to identify it (except on the putting green) (see Rule 14.1).

nyckuk

Visit site
You are allowed and must identify your ball anywhere. What is wrong is rotating it anywhere (or lifting) without first marking it's position.

7.3 Lifting Ball to Identify It
If a ball might be a player’s ball but cannot be identified as it lies:
• The player may lift the ball to identify it (including by rotating it), but:
• The spot of the ball must first be marked, and the ball must not be cleaned more than needed to identify it (except on the putting green) (see Rule 14.1).
Thanks you confirmed what I thought you could do .. I must admit i have got slack with the marking the ball first

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks you confirmed what I thought you could do .. I must admit i have got slack with the marking the ball first
Rules 7.3 and 14.1 are clear that rotating a ball in play is equivalent to lifting it. The ball must first be marked before it is rotated or lifted. If not marked, there is a one stroke penalty.