Buggies in Club Qualifying Competitions

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm no doubting that there is an advantage to be gain by most in a 36 hole, and many in even 18 - it will vary by course and conditions.

It's difficult to dispute that there's an advantage for most in having a caddy, but they are very rarely banned!

As you move into elite amateur events you are starting to mirror the professional game in many aspects, and buggy policy tends to be one (an absolute advantage cannot be balanced by handicap factors in a scratch event).

It's self correcting in club Q events - arguably if you permit it in those you shouldn't ban it in major/board events because you then disadvantage someone whose handicap is based on having that advantage!

Club golf is supposed to be inclusive, yet here we are yet again looking to make it exclusive.

maybe, i think there are some events that caddies are not allowed, some elite am events anyway.

less of an advantage for younger guys anyway.

But your point about making more exclusive by not allowing them, i would not agree with, Buggies cost to hire, there's even guys at my club who own their own (older guys) if it were allowed by all the richer and able to afford a buggy would have the advantage Shirley;)

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
The policy at our club is that to use a buggy in medals you need a medical certificate. The guy I normally play in medals had to pay his GP £80 for a certificate and he also has the hire of the buggy to pay. In addition to this, anyone playing with him in a competition is not allowed to ride in the buggy or have their clubs on it either.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club rule is that you must have medical certificate to use a buggy in club comps but such rule may be waived by the organisers for individual comps.

We also have it as a rule that a player without a certificate is not allowed to put his club's in another player's buggy.

The last one I argued against simply because players are allowed caddies and I can see no difference.

I have used a buggy for over 20 years and I know I would have had to restrict my golf to 9 hole courses without one. On a personal level I see the advantages as being very slight simply because I would not be able to play without one and I am still very tired when I finish because I firmly believe that buggies should be kept well away from tees, greens and areas that might be damaged so do more walking than I would really like.

Like a lot of clubs there are only a limited number of buggies to hire and if everybody could use one it would be highly likely that some of those needing one may well not get to play.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why should healthy people need to use a buggy ?Ours for Q comps is restricted to people with medical exemptions only or genuine reasons why they cant walk 18 holes

Golf isnt the most strenuous sport out there so most should be able to at least walk 18

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We're another club where buggies aren't prevented in qualifiers. It has never made an iota of difference to me and while I've been lucky to have only been drawn with a user a few times, there is definitely a problem with the pace of play and the round definitely took longer than had we walked.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Never really thought about it but they aren’t banned at my place. I only know of three people who use them.

Did you used to want to see trolleys banned though.
Now I’m lazy and have a trolley.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Do buggy’s give an advantage? I’d say yes. But a question... is it a test of golf or fitness? A 20 year old could probably sprint round, whereas a 60 might be a better golfer but would struggle to do 36 holes walking.

I can see, and to a certain extent support both sides of the argument but if the 20 yr old and the 60 yr old both had a buggy, who would win?

I think I’d support the use of buggy’s to find the best golfer.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't understand why fit able body people want buggies to begin with. however, I'd have no issue competing against these people. no advantage imo

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I can't understand why fit able body people want buggies to begin with. however, I'd have no issue competing against these people. no advantage imo

You'll find the PGA versus Casey Martin felt otherwise. It's part and parcel of playing golf, the physical side of the game, someone on a buggy will be much fresher than you come the end of the round and you think that's no advantage ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Naturally everyone will have an opinion based on their own course and for me that means I’m using a buggy for all golf unless the course condition prohibits the use whether it’s a social game or 2-day 36 hole club champs (most other players are in one too)

It’s even mandatory to use them at certain clubs I play (inc Open comp days)

I do see the odd walker with a trolley but they’re typically tourists/visitors who know not what they’ve let themselves in for

So theres:
Carry
Push/pull trolley
Battery trolley
Buggy
Caddy

I’d say the advantage of using a battery trolley is significantly closer to the advantage gained from a buggy when both are compared to carrying, so if you have a comp where some carry how can you justify a battery trolley as ok but not a buggy (jeez some are remote controlled so you’re barely touching the primary item that contributes to fatigue (the bag of clubs)

For amateur club golf, courses probably ban buggy’s more because they don’t have sufficient for a full field so if you have 10 buggy’s but a field of 72 it’s not a fair to those who want but can’t have, so less to do with the advantage and more to do with logistics and availability

Playing tomorrow and the course has at least 50 buggy’s so putting 36 out for a full field shotgun start is never an issue and increases revenue for the club and speeds up play

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When you consider the American side of golf - where buggies for all are the norm it's interesting how most people in the UK/Ireland view the use of buggies. It's rare for anyone to walk the course in the states. Cultural norms sets your attitude

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow... Seems a lot of fuss about nothing if you ask me

I'd just allow anybody to use them (buggies) anytime they want
I'd have no issues

At 2 local courses I was previously member at
Both allowed buggies at anytime, social or comp golf
With 1 exception
Club championships day, where 36 holes in a day were played

Comp or not, I'd think most courses (especially up here) would be happy to get the buggies out and hired as much as possible, to boost revenues

So many pointless barriers in golf........quite pathetic

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
You'll find the PGA versus Casey Martin felt otherwise. It's part and parcel of playing golf, the physical side of the game, someone on a buggy will be much fresher than you come the end of the round and you think that's no advantage ?

i personally dont think they'll be fresher than me. a 6 mile walk is a drop in the ocean when it comes to my limit of physical fatigue. even if i was a little tired the act of swinging a club isn't exactly dependent on me being wide eyed and bushy tailed.

like others have said. should remote trolleys be banned? the difference in physical output in carrying vs electronic trolley is significant. so they will be fresher too by the 18th?????

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
But you still have to walk the course with a buggy you don't.

but you still have to climb in and out of a buggy. it also takes physical effort to drive it. so its a matter of perspective. carrying is more arduous than electric trolley so where do you draw the line?

i think golf is about how well you swing a golf club. having to walk or be driven bares no relevance on how well i do that.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We'll agree to disagree I think. Are you as fresh at the end of your round as you are at the start ? I know I'm not, I also know or at least believe I'd be a lot fresher near the end using a buggy than walking.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our section has a policy of requiring a letter from a doctor to use a buggy in a competition, however I believe our men's section is more easy going.

I don't have a problem with people playing in buggies generally but I did have one poor experience when I played a matchplay game with a lady in a buggy on a very hilly course. I was shattered after walking up some of the hills while she whizzed up and was fresh and waiting for me.