Buffing and polishing of heads - any advice

RichA

Visit site
No signs of any rust anywhere on putter ( Ping Zing )-shaft or head- brassy type finish. So as said-- need to find a buffing machine for the head of putter only!!
Going by my putting today, I should have drank a bottle of CIF:whistle:.....still I'll call in to the cobblers tomorrow and try my luck:cautious:
Honing paste like Smurf Poo, used with a soft brass wire brush or a very stiff plastic brush will get the crevices in the back of the putter cleaned out nicely. Avoid acidic treatments like tommy k or coke though - you won't like the colour that the brass develops. Once you've buffed it, you're better letting the patina develop naturally. It won't take long if you wet it with rainwater and keep it in the garage.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Honing paste like Smurf Poo, used with a soft brass wire brush or a very stiff plastic brush will get the crevices in the back of the putter cleaned out nicely. Avoid acidic treatments like tommy k or coke though - you won't like the colour that the brass develops. Once you've buffed it, you're better letting the patina develop naturally. It won't take long if you wet it with rainwater and keep it in the garage.
Thanks RichA...along the same lines as what I was told in the cobblers but he said to use a compund called 'PEEK' and buff with soft cloth-had to tell him that I wanted buffing type m/c to smooth out tiny scratces on putter head-face/base and back.
Guy says to take putter in for a 'look-see' next week

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site
I tend to use Bar Keepers Friend which cleans up my irons great. I've not tried it on rust spots but I believe it should work really well.

RichA

Visit site
I tend to use Bar Keepers Friend which cleans up my irons great. I've not tried it on rust spots but I believe it should work really well.
Once you get rust off or have achieved whatever finish you're looking for with an abrasive, a paste of Barkeepers Friend and a little water smeared over stainless steel clubs will remove any small particles of steel that might cause rust in the future. It's oxalic acid, so will also passivate the steel, forming a protective layer to prevent future rusting.
You can do something similar with a concentrated solution of citric acid crystals in hot water in a bucket. They cost next to nothing on Amazon for a kilo bag. Garage science.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Once you get rust off or have achieved whatever finish you're looking for with an abrasive, a paste of Barkeepers Friend and a little water smeared over stainless steel clubs will remove any small particles of steel that might cause rust in the future. It's oxalic acid, so will also passivate the steel, forming a protective layer to prevent future rusting.
You can do something similar with a concentrated solution of citric acid crystals in hot water in a bucket. They cost next to nothing on Amazon for a kilo bag. Garage science.
As I've previously stated, there is no rust on the club- just some slight pitting on the shaft ( which was rubbed off with steel wool )!
Used the BKF stuff this p.m. on the head and came up nicely BUT will still take to get any small (very) burrs and scratches buffed off-as far as can be!
But thanks for the suggestions fellas(y)