Buffing and polishing of heads - any advice

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As the title suggests I have treated myself to some drill attachments that will hopefully remove rust ( the ping rustic, has rusted beautifully in my dads garage!) I was going to remove most of it and leave the face alone, and then I got some polishing wheels and compounds to have a dabble .. but has anyone got experience?

Also the ping Matt finish on the irons is that susceptible to polishing? Should I pass on that? I have a club to practice on and check so won’t do the set until I am happy, just want to remove some of the scruffy bits not turn them into gleaming jewels.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As the title suggests I have treated myself to some drill attachments that will hopefully remove rust ( the ping rustic, has rusted beautifully in my dads garage!) I was going to remove most of it and leave the face alone, and then I got some polishing wheels and compounds to have a dabble .. but has anyone got experience?

Also the ping Matt finish on the irons is that susceptible to polishing? Should I pass on that? I have a club to practice on and check so won’t do the set until I am happy, just want to remove some of the scruffy bits not turn them into gleaming jewels.

Just bought a Ping Zing putter-sentimental reasons, then remembered that I loved it ), was going to take it to local cobblers/key shop as I'm sure that they would have some sort of buffing machine for finishing and could maybe do a decent finish on the head, may be even shaft?
Any thoughts, experiences anyone?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just bought a Ping Zing putter-sentimental reasons, then remembered that I loved it ), was going to take it to local cobblers/key shop as I'm sure that they would have some sort of buffing machine for finishing and could maybe do a decent finish on the head, may be even shaft?
Any thoughts, experiences anyone?
Shaft use foil to cover pitted rust then window cleaner ..
The other bit is what I am investigating ??

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I soak in wd40 and then use a wire brush - I do that for the screws in the adjustable bit in the driver as they rust up quite a lot. Never used it on the heads before as my OCD to clean clubs after rounds keeps them in good nick.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I soak in wd40 and then use a wire brush - I do that for the screws in the adjustable bit in the driver as they rust up quite a lot. Never used it on the heads before as my OCD to clean clubs after rounds keeps them in good nick.
I did read somewhere that a pro (or caddie?) said that if you needed to clean your clubs after a round, you weren't cleaning them properly during the round. Never took any notice and do neither :cool:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My clubs are clean, clean after shots, but my dad doesn’t and this rustic went rusty in the garage ( it’s designed to) but looks unpleasant..

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Club arrived today-a thing of beauty- defo no rust spots, some slight pitting on shaft and some usage light damage on brassy coloured head!
Spent a happy half hour this p.m. sitting in garden busy with the steel wool rubbing shaft and putter head-face/ base/ topline--This is really the area for buffing as knew from pics that whole club was in good condition-hence the post!!
Really pleased with this buy, now have 3 Pings---'saddo, eh?:whistle:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a ghost rossa to work on over winter. Needs a paint strip and repaint . I have the original grip so could get it right back to new.
Currently the rustic is smeared in ketchup

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Took the rustic out last night, know why it was dropped now! Too much bounce for full shots but great around the green

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
cc98-how do you propose going about this?
Asking 'cos going for few holes (all I can do at mo.) and am going to drop in to cobblers and ask if he can buff the head ( of the putter/doh )
It’s a black painted one.
Bit scuffed so going to strip it , file any bumps ,dings out prime and Matt spray paint
I have some yellow and red infil paint

If you have a brass one a car rotary buffer will do it.
Just the awkward places where you can’t get to.
Or just old fashioned brasso and elbow grease.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Cif.

Cif is great at getting rid of rust. When I was rebuilding ’70’s Japanese bikes several years back I found Cif was great on chrome for getting rid of rust.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cif.

Cif is great at getting rid of rust. When I was rebuilding ’70’s Japanese bikes several years back I found Cif was great on chrome for getting rid of rust.
No signs of any rust anywhere on putter ( Ping Zing )-shaft or head- brassy type finish. So as said-- need to find a buffing machine for the head of putter only!!
Going by my putting today, I should have drank a bottle of CIF:whistle:.....still I'll call in to the cobblers tomorrow and try my luck:cautious: