British masters announced

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s the thing. So much more has to be taken into consideration than just the golf course. London offers the whole country a better opportunity to get to the event that anywhere else.

I disagree with that. Golf courses are not in central London, at the end of train lines. You have to drive to them and that makes London a/ bad b/ only good for those in the SE. If you want to offer something to the whole country then the Midlands is the best option, apologies to Scots but the reality is you can't satisfy the whole of Britain in one location.

Celtic Manor should host one, Wales is entitled, Gleneagles could host for Scotland, links courses are covered by The Open. That leaves two others for England. One should be in the Midlands. Whether the next stays in the south or north should then depend on The Open rota and the suitability of courses to host the event. If it stays south then it would be nice for the SW to get one. If north then a course in Yorkshire.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I disagree with that. Golf courses are not in central London, at the end of train lines. You have to drive to them and that makes London a/ bad b/ only good for those in the SE. If you want to offer something to the whole country then the Midlands is the best option, apologies to Scots but the reality is you can't satisfy the whole of Britain in one location.

Celtic Manor should host one, Wales is entitled, Gleneagles could host for Scotland, links courses are covered by The Open. That leaves two others for England. One should be in the Midlands. Whether the next stays in the south or north should then depend on The Open rota and the suitability of courses to host the event. If it stays south then it would be nice for the SW to get one. If north then a course in Yorkshire.

Celtic Manor had the welsh open and it failed. The golf course is average at best, the weather is worse.

Midlands where do you propose that can host 20k people a day? Belfry is only option and I’m pretty sure they’ve had 4 Ryder cups and plenty of b&w internationals.

Scotland has the Scottish open and also the Alfred dunhill every year and more opens - plus the standard of professional golfer right now is nothing short of shambolic.

Every single course used around London is within easy reach of the m25 which serves as a gateway to pretty much the entire country.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I will add I’d love to see somewhere like Notts host an event especially as it’s close to the mortoway but the place couldn’t handle the spectators.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Celtic Manor had the welsh open and it failed. The golf course is average at best, the weather is worse.

Midlands where do you propose that can host 20k people a day? Belfry is only option and I’m pretty sure they’ve had 4 Ryder cups and plenty of b&w internationals.

Scotland has the Scottish open and also the Alfred dunhill every year and more opens - plus the standard of professional golfer right now is nothing short of shambolic.

Every single course used around London is within easy reach of the m25 which serves as a gateway to pretty much the entire country.

Bit short sighted. Yes The Belfry has hosted numerous events in the past, but not for years. How many kids in that area would benefit from what Sky do that week with free tickets etc who weren't even born when The Belfry had a top class event? Also why just The Belfry? Forest of Arden and The Warwickshire Spring immediately to mind as very capable of hosting it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mendie I don't know enough about regional courses to answer a number of your comments but I would say that the point of this tournament is to take it to different places. If it becomes just a London tournament that a lot of enthusiasm for it will disappear.

M25, gateway to the country? That's a very SE centric view.

I would say that with regards to handling spectators I would never have said Close House could manage but they did brilliantly. It took help from the council regarding roads, no doubt nearby farmers for fields for parking etc but it worked. If they could cope with those significant numbers then so can most other clubs. The tour know how to organise tournaments.

D

Deleted member 18588

MendieGK;1779944) Every single course used around London is within easy reach of the m25 which serves as a gateway to pretty much the entire country.[/QUOTE said:
Have you ever tried approaching the Surrey/Hants heathland belt courses from the North and the Midlands.

If you had I think you might alter that opinion.

Walton Heath is a magnificent course but it certainly isn't easily accessible to the majority.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I will add I’d love to see somewhere like Notts host an event especially as it’s close to the mortoway but the place couldn’t handle the spectators.
If thats Notts as in Hollinwell, then you will do for me, 20 mins on the old B8 bus.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have you ever tried approaching the Surrey/Hants heathland belt courses from the North and the Midlands.

If you had I think you might alter that opinion.

Walton Heath is a magnificent course but it certainly isn't easily accessible to the majority.

The A217 Brighton Road back to the M25 isn't that great either so getting in and out is going to be very interesting.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have done it before for the US Open Qualifier. It didn't seem an overly long walk.....

Could you change at Clapham Junction Homer? Sounds quite straight forward if so........

Was looking at parking at another station further down the line like Chipstead and then heading back towards Leatherhead junction of M25 across country as I know the back roads that neck of the woods reasonably. Will depend. Might do a morning at Walton Heath and slide over to Kingswood for an afternoon time and then let traffic die down there

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was looking at parking at another station further down the line like Chipstead and then heading back towards Leatherhead junction of M25 across country as I know the back roads that neck of the woods reasonably. Will depend. Might do a morning at Walton Heath and slide over to Kingswood for an afternoon time and then let traffic die down there

Woodmansterne is your best bet. Easier parking. There's not a great deal at Chipstead and the commuters will have that early.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Anyone know if they are using both courses or a composite (apologies if I've missed it somewhere)?

It'll almost certainly be the 'composite' - as in 'The Ryder Cup course'. Start on the heath side of the road (so 2nd of Old) and not play the Old 3 either. Tee for 2nd (Old 4th) will be in the trees about half way down and to right of Old 3 and becomes a dogleg. New 12 and 13 played after Old 13 (11th). Becomes a really tough course - as if it's not tough enough - especially if the prevailing wind gets up. Greens can be set at up to 14! That's what they were for the Palmer Cup a few years back!

I will be getting the train to Tadworth and then walk for 1/2 mile. Simples!:thup:

Bit more than half a mile! Even cutting through lane, then woods. but that's certainly the best way by train/foot imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Mendie I don't know enough about regional courses to answer a number of your comments but I would say that the point of this tournament is to take it to different places. If it becomes just a London tournament that a lot of enthusiasm for it will disappear.

M25, gateway to the country? That's a very SE centric view.

I would say that with regards to handling spectators I would never have said Close House could manage but they did brilliantly. It took help from the council regarding roads, no doubt nearby farmers for fields for parking etc but it worked. If they could cope with those significant numbers then so can most other clubs. The tour know how to organise tournaments.

The Tournament used to be hosted year in year out at Woburn as one of the two events held in the south - this was mainly due to the amount of events in Wales and Scotland and NW -there are more events closer to people in the midlands and North than there are for people in the South.

Also the event was always going to be hosted by a few pros and they were going to pick courses that were best suited for him - its great that the event is finally going to a heathland as opposed to a purpose built pretty dull parkland course.

G

guest100718

The Tournament used to be hosted year in year out at Woburn as one of the two events held in the south - this was mainly due to the amount of events in Wales and Scotland and NW -there are more events closer to people in the midlands and North than there are for people in the South.

Also the event was always going to be hosted by a few pros and they were going to pick courses that were best suited for him - its great that the event is finally going to a heathland as opposed to a purpose built pretty dull parkland course.

It was held at many courses over the years, certainly not year in year out at woburn.